I got to be one of THEM!

Damn, now that tune is going to be in my head all day.

1 Like

Your link doesn’t work for me, do you have another link to the “circus song”?

~Cameron

Yes, it’s the assumption that we are there to entertain that is annoying.

A few weeks back, I was on the 700c, lightweight wheel, short cranks, head down, pedalling fast, wearing full conventional bicycling-style gear, slowed momentarily to pass someone and he said, “Come on then, entertain me.”

Now, if I had been on a 20, poddling along, smiling and waving and inviting comment, that might’ve been appropriate.

Shouting comments at unicyclists is no more appropriate than shouting comments at fat people, bald people, or birds with big knockers. You might think it, but you don’t say it. That’s good manners.

Re: I got to be one of THEM!

UNIquelyCanadian wrote:

> Brave Sir Stupid Wrote:

> > <http://tinyurl.com/brvva>
> >
> > orig. url:
> > <http://tinyurl.com/8xvta
> > d>

where didTHAT 8xvta thing come from??

> Your link doesn’t work for me, do you have another link to the “circus
> song”?

Three more, three different servers and formats.

Entry/entrance/march of the Gladiators is sometimes called
Thunder and Blazes.

<http://www.melright.com/music/midi/gladiat.wav>
<http://www.pcdon.com/gladiators.mid>
<http://www.euchronia.net/audio/tandb22.mp3>

…max

Re: I got to be one of THEM!

Mikefule <Mikefule@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Yes, it’s the assumption that we are there to entertain that is
> annoying.
>
> A few weeks back, I was on the 700c, lightweight wheel, short cranks,
> head down, pedalling fast, wearing full conventional bicycling-style
> gear, slowed momentarily to pass someone and he said, “Come on then,
> entertain me.”

i’m sure there are some good ideas here:

<http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/goodfellas.pdf>

(2.3meg download)

…max

Noooooooooooooo!!! I KNOW WHAT THAT SONG IS NOW!!! GAAHHHHHH!!! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

I’m sorry that you feel that way. The circus music doen’t affect me in that way. When I hear someone whistle that I’m feeling like my effort has helped them be happy. To have the reaction some of the u.c. follow would be shocking and a negative face on the unicyclist. I understand that there are those that just live to be angry.I can’t do anything about that.
But I can have control over how I feel and react.
Like when I ride to work. Most people smile. Thats a gift! I can travel to work and by doing that I can help people smile.
Using your logic, their smiling is much like the smiling that they might do at the circus. So they must be calling me a clown. Maybe if you remember the trapese artist that rode a uni across the tightrope. Perhaps thats what their thinking of that brings the circus music to mind. It’s is a tightrop. Generally wayyyy up high. Thats dangerous and brave. Maybe their thinking your dangerous and brave. Then you jump off your wheel and start berating them.
Now they think your a unicyclist who drinks too much caffiene.
Hope this helps.

Yes, the expect them to entertain you, which I feel puts a lot of pressure on me and further justifies to them that they can laugh if I fall off etc. I’m just practicing, I’m not doing it to impress anyone.

Cathy

I agree with Cathwood on this one. We are not public property just because we are in public. I don’t shout comments at fat people, or skateboarders, or bicyclists, or people wearing shirts with slogans. They do their thing, I do mine. I’m all for people being happy - I might even try it myself one day - but you don’t have to make comments at other people’s expense to be happy.

1 Like

During my years on a recumbent bicycle I have heard the phrase ‘Is it really comfortable?’ or ‘You don’t fall asleep do you?’ a zillion times. Do I get angry? No. Do I become glad? No. I hardly notice it. I am concentrating on what I am doing.

Same thing when people comment my unicycling. It just passes and leaves no trace in my mind. It seems some of you hang on to the comments like they were valuables even if you say you hate them.

Remember, if you want the positive comments you must also be able to take the shit. If you depend on positive comments, well then perhaps you are a clown!

Actually, I don’t want the positive comments. I don’t want any comments. I just want to get on with riding my unicycle.
And I’m glad that the comments don’t bother you, but not everyone is the same.

Cathy

1 Like

I have a job that involves me dealing with the worst side of the general public. I investigate fraud for a living. Frankly, at the end of a long day or long week of putting on a show for the public, listening to the nonsense they spout, I just want to be left alone in peace. OK, so the occasional friendly comment or expression of admiration is nice, but I don’t ride to attract such comments. The occasional hostile comment does no real harm, but it takes the edge off the riding experience. Genuine interest: fair enough. Friendly comment: fair enough. Silly comment, but well intentioned: fair enough, I suppose. Unprovoked hostile comment or mockery: unacceptable behaviour. I remember the days when manners didn’t have to be explained in such detail.

Try to see it from another angle. The problem isn’t that other people start to think when they see you riding. The problem is also not that some of them speak out their thoughts. The problem is your reaction to this. You become tense, feel uncomfortable and your riding is affected. Realising the problem is within yourself and not in others gives you the power to change. Your reactions is something you can control. Since you do unicycle you already have summoned a great amount of concentration and focus. You just have to develop and deepen this ability. Think of it as a skill among others you have to learn.

Olaf,

That is what lawyers might call a “counsel of perfection”. If someone fails to control their irrational urge to insult you, you are the one at fault for failing to control your irrational urge to be upset by it?

You are of course right in a sense. What you are saying is in effect, “If someone tips your canoe over, you should concentrate on rolling it back up.” This is clearly true. But then, sooner or later, you get very tired of having to do unnecessary eskimo rolls because someone else keeps tipping your canoe over.

Well, that would certainly be the cognitive point of view. But is it really so? I didn’t think I had a problem, I just thought I wanted to unicycle in peace.

Cathy

Isn’t it also called ‘victim blaming’ in some circles. It’s one of the arguments against the cognitive pov in psychology.

Cathy

I was expecting someone would say that my advice is based on solipsism but your angle Mikefule, seeing it from a juridical point of view came as a surprise.

I don’t know what to say. My advice isn’t about laws, neither juridical or moral ones. It is about knowing one self but to go further on that path would take this thread deep into OT-jungle.

Let’s just say it was an idea I had :slight_smile:

Only one person can tell.

And who is that? Seeing that this kind of debate is one of the debates at the heart of clinical psychology at the moment.

Cathy

And when they throw stones at me (which has happened twice in my 8 mnths of unicycling), I feel tense and uncomfortable and it effects my riding. Is the problem still within me? Do I still have the power to change it? How?

Cathy