I Decided To Enter "South Africa's Got Talent".

I loved your story! It was so filled with Murphy’s law situations, and typical nightmarish stuff for the unicycle performer. Stage managers never seem to understand that the riding surface matters for unicyclists. Nobody seems to get that bagpipes make a lot of noise.

It’s like no amount of practice can prepare one for the actual event. Certainly you cannot prepare for the effects of being in that one-chance situation, with all those eyes on you!

Also I am struck by how similar the format of the show is to our version. I hope the SA version has also found judges that actually like variety acts; this took several seasons for the American show.

I wish you best of luck with your second go-round! I recommend lots of remedial practicing up there with the pipes. Practice stuff like riding over electrical cables at odd angles, riding on super-polished surfaces, etc.

And a dismount. Since I don’t think you want to be taken too seriously, you could finish by falling off. Like letting the bag deflate (after your song finishes, of course), and then slowly falling over as the tone goes down. If you finish with a little roll (whatever works while holding the pipes), even better! Pop up into a stylish pose.

Also, if you’re able to freemount your giraffe you could have lots of fun with that. You could work out a bit with the Presenter to help you out, or hand you the pipes once you’re up there. Lots of opportunity for silliness to ensue there. Have fun with it!

Hey GILD!

Spendid story!
LOVE IT!
Way to go!

Thanks for the smiles!
Go for the win!

Have been enjoying the updates and waiting for the next installment, but just thought I’d mention that one of my friends just posted a link on FB to that Darth Vader video up there - his comment: “The title says it all. Impressive piping, impressive unicycling, less than impressive Darth Vader get-up!” - and this is his FB page https://www.facebook.com/theunipiper

Sorry all, I’ve been a bit of a stranger.

Sad to say, that was my fling with fame and fortune.
The second round was a ‘video round’ where the judges reviewed the 133 acts they put thru round one and whittled that down to the 18 who would appear in the three semi-finals (don’t start with your math-nonsense).

I didn’t make it into the final 18, and so had to bow out with a smile on my face, a set of bagpipes under my arms and holding the front bumper of a unicycle seat in my one hand.

Selah.

Poor gild can never live down the darth vader stereotype just like the rest of us cannot live down the clown one…