Howdy, from Texas, USA (#2)

What’s your name? Shawn

Where do you come from? Texas, USA

What is your experience of unicycling? I have been learning off and on since June 2018, and recently switched to more “on”.

So, let’s consider this my Introduction #2. My first introduction, in 2017, was not really phrased as such, and I realize now that I may have scared everyone, which may have kept the replies to zero. A link to that first introduction of sorts is here: Wow, my list of goals has changed...

Back then, my user name was different. Now, it more accurately reflects, well, me!

While learning to unicycle after two spine surgeries, my son told me, “You can do this. Anyone can learn. But, you need to WANT to.” He said this while walking away from me, back to his unicycle, while I was braced against a wall about to push off for what seemed like my one thousandth time to totter for 5 to 20 feet before awkwardly losing my balance. Something changed that night. I got it into my head that I really did want to, and I wasn’t going to let fear keep me from learning.

The next day, I rode 30 yards. Then 40. Then, I rode for over 100 yards on my 24” Schwinn retro. My son got a video of that. That was a happy day. And, THAT video is what got my neurosurgeon to “sign off” on unicycling.

Since then, I have added a Trials uni and a 24” Muni to the mix, but the constant gouging of my shins, and resulting blood-stained socks & shoes were holding me back, if only mentally. A few months ago, UDC sent an email letting me know that Kris Holm Leg Armor was back in stock. I ordered a pair, and that was a game changer. Suddenly, I became confident enough to actually break some sort of mental barrier that was keeping me from trying harder, and was limiting the distance I was riding, also. It was also keeping me from mastering free mounting. The leg armor made all the difference.

I will create some other posts in the “Photos of your last ride” thread, and in the “Post a photo of your uni” thread. But until then, this was from my most recent “ride” with my son.

Cheers!

-Uni2ONE2

8 Likes

Welcome back Shawn – you’ve certainly had your challenges to deal with and overcome.

It must have taken a lot of courage to learn to ride after the surgery that you have had and what you must have gone through. Your son’s words must have been inspirational to you to give you that extra push, I guess that makes the achievement more special.

I know what you mean about the leg-armour, I cut my leg up pretty badly with the pedal pins early on and it seemed to become a bit of a mental block until I got some KH protectors. I got them and got over it and don’t tend to bother with them for ‘normal’ riding now, but sometimes it just takes something to give you that confidence to push on.

Anyway, all the best and enjoy your riding, hopefully you’ll get that 36" you mentioned in your original post soon.

2 Likes

Thank you, DrD!

I bought a Nimbus Nightfox for my son, which he took to college this year. I have never ridden it because it is set up for him, and he is 4” shorter than me. (I also had not, in my opinion, become good enough to ride it.)

However, a 36” should arrive here in the somewhat near future once a shipping plan is determined. I will post photos at that time.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Welcome, and I am happy to see you have perservered :slight_smile:
Can I suggest getting your hands on a 29er before buying a 36er? Much more portable than a 36er, goes a decent speed.
Then think if you still want to use a 36er.
Most people use a rolling mount for a 36er, it’s a different technique to static mounting. It helps give you the oommpphh to get up onto the top of your uni and to get going.
For me, the mounting of a 36er was a barrier. Maybe I would have been better off with a nightfox though. My inseam is 30" (77cm) so my inseam is borderline for the other standard 36er unis.

A 36er is a giant step up from a 24". The ride characteristics are massively different. Whereas a 24" is nimble and responsive and a little bit slow, a 36er is sluggish to maneuver, but very fast and smooth once you get it rolling. The biggest problem with it offroad is head clearance, at least around the heavily forrested trails we have in Washington. Texas may be different. They easily roll over many bumps and roots though. Turning quickly is the other challenge offroad. There are times where I just can’t make that big heavy wheel turn fast enough on paths where I hardly even noticed the turn on a 27.5.

On pavement, they’re great, except for mounting and idling. Just about every unicycling skill is harder on a 36er. So if you can idle alright on your 24", chances are you’ll only be able to do 2-3 idles on the 36er. Hopping is easy enough, except it’s heavier, less bouncy and you’re 6" higher. Mounting is significantly more difficult as well. I’d rather do a rollback or a rolling mount any day than a static mount on a 36er.

If a 36er is what you want though then go for it. They are fun and challenging.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.