How Many is 2 Many?

have to disagree here.

Ahhh… so your saying it depends weather you plan on taking her home to meet the parents. Good thinking; I had fairly short-sighted considerations, though. :wink:

-Christopher

(To the advice: think of a 700c as a big 24, not a small Coker.)

Interesting, because I honestly expected the 700c to be Coker like. In fact a while ago I posted about ‘Cokerettes’, speculating on whether a 28 with short cranks would be very similar to a Coker.

One of my regular circuits is about 7 miles of flattish paths and tarmac, and I’ve ridden it several times on a short-cranked 24, the Coker and once today on the 700c.

For speed, the 700c is in the same bracket as the Coker, but at a cadence and torque more similar to the 24.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, because obviously each rider feels different about each wheel/crank combination, but I’d be interested to know why you hold the opposite opinion to mine. I guess it’s because you had a fat tyre on yours and rode it on rough stuff? That would change the feel of it quite a bit, i imagine.

Re: How Many is 2 Many?

> > A 700cc Touring or a Coker
> > *
>
>
> As I have been discovering over the last few days (see my seminal post
> on the subject! :roll_eyes: ) they are two very different things.
>
> A 700c is graceful.
> A Coker is stately.
>
> Two very different beasts.
>
> Think of a 700c as a big 24, not a small Coker - even if the cranks are
> shortened to the same %.

Stately, ha.

Consider hawks.

Long-winged falcons fly very high, then stoop and dive and kill with a
tremendous impact.

Short-winged hawks go straight from wherever they are to their prey and rend
them with their claws and beaks.

Guess which one is like a Coker?*

• Trick question. They’re both like Cokers. 29s are more like, um,
    rabbits.

Re: Ya, but…

I used to suffer from this fantasy as well. The correct answer, at least once you’re past high school, is generally none of the above. Unless you’re really lucky, and you meet a real special “chick.”

No, that just means you have too many of whatever type you were thinking of riding. I have an extra MUni. It doesn’t get ridden much because it doesn’t fit a wide enough tire. But otherwise, when I want to MUni I know which one to ride. If I want to practice tricks I know which one to ride, etc.

With all the specializing, I wonder what to use my 24" for these days? It used to be racing. Then again, it used to be the biggest wheel size easily available. Not anymore…

Re: Ya, but…

The smaller one presumably, as you’re closer to the ground. Just make sure they don’t bite you, they make look small, yellow and fluffy but they’ve got sharp little beaks.

Phil, just me

Something like 33 or so, at the moment.

For those that haven’t already read this somewhere else, many of these are part of a “collection” and don’t get ridden. If you go to the Unicycle Models page, for example, you will see some of them there:
http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/Unidb/qdesc/models.html

Here’s a partial list of the ones that get used:

• DM ATU
  • Wyganowski Freestyle
  • B.C. Wheel
  • Ultimate Wheel
  • 24" Miyata
  • Coker Deluxe
  • 45" Big Wheel
  • Schwinn Giraffe
  • 12" Mini Uni
  • 20" Handlebar Uni

I don’t have any multi-wheelers (stacked), and I’ve always wanted to have a walking machine made. So there’s room for at least two more… :slight_smile:

Q1: 2 (Pashley 26" Muni & nameless 20" plastic wheeled thing)
Q2: 4

Well, to be honest, the answer to Q2 should really just be “x + 2” where “x” is the number of unis you have. This ensures that you personally never reach the “too many stage”.

Have fun!

Graeme

This six-foot unicycle would be fun to have…

6feetal.jpg

how did they make that thing?

I borrowed the picture from the unicycling.org website through the “Been There Done That” link, then the “Unique Unicycles” link. Simon from England made and rode the thing. I’ve always thought it was a neat idea.

Bruce

yoopers wrote:
> Simon from England made and rode the thing.

Simon certainly rode it (at BMW1, I think) but Dave Mariner (DM) built
and owns it.

Regards,
Mark.

I have two unicycles at the current moment, and only use one of them because the other is broken, and i plan to get more unicycles in the future.
I think you can never have enough unicycles.

Graeme wrote:
> Q1: 2 (Pashley 26" Muni & nameless 20" plastic wheeled thing)
> Q2: 4
>
> Well, to be honest, the answer to Q2 should really just be “x + 2” where
> “x” is the number of unis you have. This ensures that you personally
> never reach the “too many stage”.

That’s incredibly close to my view on the matter…

At any given point in time:
The number I have = N
The number I need = N + 1
Too many = N + 2

My wife is in total agreement. :wink:

I wonder what percentage of unicyclists have one unicycle - and it never
even occurs to them that they should have more? People on this group are
busy discussing all the different uses and types of unicycle so it’s all
too easy to be tempted by that next hit.

Regards,
Mark.

all in one

I have but one unicycle. It is a no-name uni with a 20" that’s 1.90". I like it. the tire is a semi-knobby tire, so i can do the urban stuff as well as a bit of muni. I am quite content to have only one unicycle. I’ve been unicycling for a bit more than a ayear and have not found cause to buy another one, at least not cause enough to get the 'rents to give me $300. :wink: i think 1 is nice, but i could find room for another i think.

Re: Re: How Many is 2 Many?

My best guess would be about 98%. Most of us here on the newsgroup are not your typical unicyclists…:smiley:

I was typical a couple of months ago. I had been typical for 30 years. (zzzzzzzzzzzz)

Then I met Tommy and his MUCsters. Atypical is more fun.

>> *I wonder what percentage of unicyclists have one unicycle - and it
>> never even occurs to them that they should have more? *
> My best guess would be about 98%. Most of us here on the newsgroup
> are not your typical unicyclists…:smiley:

I don’t want two. I want one glorious supervelociraptor tough enough for
a 250# clumsy lifter to Muni on. Is that so much to ask?

For hunting squirrles? Then no squirles would be able to get away from you! :smiley:

-Mike