How many Geared 36er Owners/Riders are there in the world?

Although I have the Schmumpf hub, I haven’t built a unicycle with it, so I can’t yet claim to be a guni owner. I was fortunate enough to have been loaned and ridden der Uber Coker many years ago, so I do have some time on a geared 36er unicycle, but that was pre-on-the-fly-shifting. Thus, I’m not sure how to categorize myself - I guess I’d be considered a guni rider who hasn’t shifted gears yet, lol.

I am very curious as to how many geared 36er owners and/or riders are out there.

How many people on this forum (1) own and can ride a geared 36er or (2) don’t own a geared 36er, but can ride one proficiently?

Also, if you happen to keep track of how many geared hubs have been sold by Schlumpf, I’d also be interested in knowing approximately how many geared unicycles have been built to date. Thanks!

I would say: “not a lot” :grin:
You can approximate the answers to your questions based on this page:

Of course, not all hubs are listed, neither all the lines mention the uni the hub had been built in. However, it’s probably the best approximation you can get right now. I count around 70 riders possessing a G36er that are listed in that page. I would say they are maybe three times that number overall, so around 200 riders.
Regarding the number of people who don’t own a geared 36er but can ride one proficiently, I would say it is very minimal. It requires a lot of training to be proficient on such a wheel, so it’s really hard to be proficient without owning one.

I am pretty sure I am one of those. I have no problems riding my G29, and rode a few times on 36er (and once or twice on a G36 during unicon 20).
And I think many other unicyclists can do so.

Although you are a great rider on a G29er and a 36er, I doubt you would instantly be proficient on a G36er.
But we may not have the same definition for “proficient”. In my opinion, someone proficient on a G36er can ride tens of kilometres without stepping of their uni, while being able to shift on the first time ~99% of times. They may also be able to shift while riding uphill or downhill without issue.

While writing this definition, I figured out that it may be a bit restrictive and that not all of the 70 previously listed riders can be qualified as “proficient” :sweat_smile:

So, what would be the definition you (@HardcoreCokerRider) would set for “proficient”?

1 Like

I would say that being proficient on a G36 means being more efficient than on a G29 or on an ungeared 36". For me, being more efficient means being faster for the same level of effort.

I agree, you have to practice on a G36 to be more efficient than on a G29 or a 36.

3 Likes

Thank you, @Maxence. That information is quite helpful.

@Maxence I think the definition of proficient you described would likely be closer to what I would consider a Master or Expert rated rider.

@toutestbon While I hadn’t given a lot of thought as to exactly how I would describe being a proficient geared 36er rider, the description you’ve put forth seems like a pretty good start to me because without that level of proficiency, the rider isn’t realizing an amount of benefit from the geared 36er that outweighs opting for a different choice of unicycle.

Thanks for the replies!

3 Likes