help identify another crap cycle

here is another seatless uni that i got a garage sale.this one was $5 bucks.

if you look at this picture,you will see a raized lip like part close to the axle.this raized part houses BALL bearings!now is’nt that odd?

what is this thing?

lolly pop2.jpg

here is a picture of the crown.if you unscrew the bolt in the middle there,the whole chromed thing slides up and off.cheap cheap cheap…it kind says early Torker to me but not sure.

crown2.jpg

RE: help identify another crap cycle

> if you look at this picture,you will see a raized lip like
> part close to the axle.this raized part houses BALL
> bearings!now is’nt that odd?

I’m not sure what you mean. All decent unicycles use ball bearings. But it
sounds like this one doesn’t have them in separate cartridges. I have seen
that bearing setup before, but I don’t remember what names were on the
unicycle. Seeing the rest of it might help.

I think I have an old picture of a Royce Union (Japan) unicycle, at Tom
Miller’s house, that might have had that bearing setup.

JF

RE: help identify another crap cycle

> here is a picture of the crown.if you unscrew the bolt in the middle
> there,the whole chromed thing slides up and off.cheap cheap
> cheap…it kind says early Torker to me but not sure.

But that’s just an aesthetic cover, right? Though your whole frame is
chrome, on painted models the cap would still be chrome, and cover up the
ugly fork underneath. I have something similar on my old Oxford and Pro
unicycles, held on by a single screw.

Or is that screw holding the frame together?

To me it’s more solid than a Schwinn frame. More rigid, and possibly
stronger than today’s Torker (though heavier).

JF

Re: RE: help identify another crap cycle

your right they do,i guess what i meant to says is loose ball bearings instead of cartridge ball bearings.

just to be clear,all of these pictures are of the same unicycle.it only lets me attach one picture per post.

july 6, 200208.jpg

Here’s an old thread!

Same topic, but different unicycles. Are the linked craigslist Torkers CX, LX, or DX?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/bik/4515429346.html

Thanks!
UTL

Both are lx for sure. I think they are probably 20".

I knew I could count on you, Shmolagin. Here’s another one!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/bik/4469003686.html

It looks much more exotic than most things on craigslist.

looks to be 700c.

I would guess cotterless hub, pressed bearing housings and a miyata saddle. Still probably a fair road commuter for a new home.

That’s a cool looking one for sure. But Dave beat me to replying although it looks to me like there is a good chance it’s cottered. I don’t recognize the frame, maybe John Foss will…

Frame I believe is an old Sem frame.
Saddle is an old Miyata from about 1998, with a cover almost certainly made by Kathleen Lawler. Presumably HML are the initials of the person who owned the unicycle. Someone in TCUC I am sure would know more than I do on this.

The Unicycle is very typical of the ones used on the UAM tour.

I was going to guess Sem too :wink:

The cranks LOOK cotterless but I’d have to see the other side of the crank. Better res would help.

The cranks are either bicycle euro or … (I can not remember the name, but basically the same). They are steel and have only just gone out of production.

I concur. For the frame, Semcycle is a good possibility, but there were many other “generic” unicycles out there using similar or identical frames at the time. However if this is a 29" it is most likely from Semcycle because few other vendors (if any) were selling that size in the US at that time.

The setup suggests it was put together for Track racing, which I’m guessing based on the pedals. Those are, apparently, Semcycle pedals, which were great indoor pedals. But for a Road uni they only make sense if they came with it, or if it required plastic pedals for the track.

Roger referred to UAM, which was “Unicycle Across Minnesota”, one of the first of the large, organized unicycle tours. It was the first of many put together by Andy Cotter, and taught all of us, whether we rode it or not, about the effects of long-term unicycling on a trip like that. It took place in 1998 or 99, just before the Cokers came out. Those people pedaled a LOT!

Edit: It appears cotterless. I don’t think Semcycle sold any cottered unicycles. Also it’s not a crap unicycle!

Actually not before. I rode it on one of 5 Cokers on that trip. They were very much before the development in the 36 market and they were pretty much standard with 150mm cranks (I did put on short cranks on the 2nd day though!).

It was a brutal awakening to long distance riding.

I agree with John, not a crap unicycle at all.

Roger

“Crap” refers to the uni inquired about in the first post, from 2002, not the one now under discussion.