Helmets

Have any of you bought an expensive ($300.00+) helmet? I got an affordable one from Academy.

It works fine, but after a short while, it feels like a plastic Anaconda squeezing your head. I was wondering if the more high-end helmets were more comfortable. :thinking:

The problem with helmets is you don’t know if they are any good until you smack your head off of something. By then it’s to late.

1 Like

I’d say getting one with the MIPS system is worth the price tag.

For ages I was using a decently comfy Bern helmet but it wasn’t likely to be that helpful at protecting my brain.

I then got a Fox Dropframe Pro helmet that is three quarters in size - not full face, but more than a standard bike helmet - and while the visor isn’t adjustable or removable it has saved my face from a few branches and things of that ilk.

But if I had my time again - I’d look at Bell’s line of helmets - the ones with the detachable chin guard look great and they have some features like a helmet mount that would help with a light or camera.

But I’d say anything with MIPS is going to be a safe option and I find these tend to be pretty comfy so long as you get the right size.

1 Like

Exactly. I second MIPS. With a correct size they fit well and are comfortable. You can adjust the snugness of them. Any adequate helmet for extreme sports is worth it.

Be safe out there while you ride. Helmets are great. Helmets are cool. I too love helmets.

2 Likes

I bought a Bell Super DH, and normally ride without the removable chin guard. I bought that helmet as much for the additional DH rating/protection and the removable chin guard, as I did the removable Go-Pro mount that holds my helmet light for night riding. I have been very pleased with the helmet, and have worn it in weather as hot as 105 F degrees, which you experience every year where you live, @Ravenkeep. I am also pleased that I have never had to test the protective nature of the helmet, other than the fact that it keeps me from banging my unprotected head on tree limbs and tree trunks as I pass by them on tight trails.

My neurosurgeon “signed off” on me riding a unicycle with the agreement that I would wear a helmet. I figured if I agreed to wear a helmet, I might as well buy a good one, considering I do a lot of riding at night, and try to get off the pavement as much as possible (during the day).

1 Like

Fun fact, helmets have sizing. You might be wearing the wrong size.

Like I add layers under my helmet for warmth in winter and it’s still a great fit so it is likely a sizing issue.

1 Like

Not necessarily. If the shape doesn’t fit your head, it can cost 1000$ and still be uncomfortable. Even more so if you have the wrong size, if at all possible, I would always recommend going to a store and trying on a few. I once went out with a specific helmet to buy in mind and it just put weird pressure spots on my forehead, so I ended up buying a cheaper one, which just happened to fit the shape of my head better.

6 Likes

Yes indeed; measure your head and get the right size – I don’t think I have a particularly big head (physically or metaphorically…) but I ended up with an XL one and it makes a difference for me when wearing it for a long time – it has to fit properly though.

I also go with MIPS or Spin (Spin is what POC came out with after they did MIPS) – I have a POC Crane helmet for the unicycle as I wanted something that was smooth on the back so if I ended up falling on my back there was nothing to jar my neck if my the back of my head hit the ground.

I got a Freetown Lumenaire or something from Costco on sale for about $20 with MIPS about a year ago. Also has a rear red light built in. They still sell them or at least similar for less than $50. I haven’t had a good crash with this one but had a few tumbles and broke my last which was a Giro and didn’t have MIPS.

I’ll echo what has been said on sizing. I recently bumped my head on my latest fall so ordered some new helmets. I’ve been riding with the Giro Fixture MIPS helmet for years and absolutely love it. Good price at $30 on this website. Has a neat adjustable strap to hug your head which I really enjoy.

1 Like

I Rode with a Uvex Quatro Helmer and ITS works very Well. Also for Muni IT works, thé Helmet Costs 50 Euro.

I don’t have a specific brand or model to recommend, but I really suggest getting an offroad helmet (which could protect your chin) if you are going to ride fast, even onroad (as in, not offroad).

The idea is, if you fall forwards in high speed (typical UPD situation), it’s unlikely you can land on your feet, and chances are you brake with your face. I had the exact accident yesterday, I fell at about 18km/h to dodge a randomly appeared pedestrian. I wore a standard bicycle helmet which did not have the chance to protect my chin. I ended up in the ER to get a few face wounds stitched, which the doctor says accumulates to 6cm.

I wasn’t going to post this photo, but a helmet like this might cost less than a trip to the Emergency Room, and @hillin ’s post is a good reminder.

It seems like overkill, until you have stitches in your face.

Believe me, stitches in your face make you re-assess many decisions.

I’ve never been on the front-end of regretting decisions having to do with stitches in my head. However, I have been on the back-end. So, I am now “that guy”, that wears a helmet to unicycle and walk his dog. For the record, I don’t wear the full face mask to walk the dog, but steep downhill and sketchy Muni? Yep. But, I realize we all walk our own walk.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Also sorry to hear about your UPD.
Hoping you’re not in too much pain and recovering well.

I started out wearing a full face FOX helmet. I might start using it again.

Thanks folks. What doesn’t kill you make you stronger - and more cautious :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, that is ghastly! :fearful: I don’t think I will be riding fast now. So sorry to hear that. Makes me question the decision of riding mine.

I couldn’t wear that one. I have a thin body, and a big head. That helmet would make my head look even bigger. I would look like one of those big headed, life-size puppets. I agree it is probably safer, but I just can’t go there.

The problem wasn’t a size issue. My helmet has the boa system. I may have turned the dial too tight. Meanwhile, everyone’s suggestions gave me a good start on searching for the benefits of the different types of helmet safety.

If you live in the USA and are considering the SPIN safety feature. You need to get it now. SPIN is being discontinued in the USA.

I have decided to go with the WaveCel safety feature. They are available at Trek Bikes. There is one near my house, so I can go try it on in person.

Some of you might find this article helpful. It explains the difference between MIPS and WaveCel, and why SPIN is being discontinued here in the USA.

@Uni2ONE2, if they have that helmet there. I will try it on. Just to see if I am over reacting. If I don’t get it. What about a chin guard like football players wear? Would that help? Would that have procted @hillin?