Helmets

I was shopping helmets last night, looking for one with chin guard. In spite of still having fresh wounds on my face, I still think that those safety features, although good to have, are an overkill to road unicycling - well it would be another story if you are going muni, I mean, after all it’s muni. I’m not gonna be faster than 20km/h on my 36er, I’ll not have a Schlumpf on it in the near future neither, so for brain protection I think a regular bicycle helmet is sufficient. All I need is additional chin/face protection.

However any helmet with a chin guard is heavy. The lighter ones, made of carbon, come with all sorts of safety features because they are expensive. Not saying I’m not happy with MIPS or something, I’ll take it!

If you’re so worried about the look why wear a helmet at all? You started the discussion asking about the fit of a helmet. That’s all you should be concerned with when buying a new one. That’s really all that matters.

3 Likes

I´ve got a Bell Super 3r MIPS - Mountainbike helmet with detachable fullface part. Wear it all-year, like it a lot. Bit bulky, but as some else here wrote, if you crash and then find out your helmet´s rubbish, it´s too late.

1 Like

+1 all helmets look dorky, but brain damage is dorkier.

2 Likes

Just received the helmets I ordered. Geez these things are huge!

4 Likes

Stay safe out there. No more facial scars.