get unicycling into the gravity games!!!

I just read through this thread. Wow! Unicyclists sure are dedicated!

69% unicycling
25% downhill

Nikki

Downhill Mountain Biking: 23%

Surfing: 1%

Snowboarding: 1%

Freestyle Skiing: 0%

Strong-Man Competition: 0%

ping-pong: 0%

unicycling: 72%

Nice!!

WOW

I didn’t know unicyclists were this cool! Writing programs so we can cheat while unicycling! I wonder if they will suspect something because the number of votes went up 30,000 in a few hours, whith all of the votes for unicycling? I bet they know how awesome unicyclists are, so they don’t care.
:sunglasses:

Yeah, I sure hope they don’t glance at the IP adresses, and find out that this is all from one small group of computers,

This is just like the voting for American Idol. Vote early and vote often. And make sure everyone in your family votes for you. :slight_smile:

For the record I only voted once. I like to think that unicyclists are an honest and ethical group.

Kind of scary when JC and I are on the same page. Oh yeah, plus he used my current favorite phrase. :slight_smile:

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

when i first saw this thread i got really excited and voted a bunch of times, but when i started thinking about it, it hit me, do we really want to get unicycling into the gravity games??? I mean it would love to see unicycling at the G games (espically if the games would return to providence) but i fear what the long term effects might be. when the extreme sports boomed in popularity a few years ago it seemed like everyone wanted to be a skateboarder or a bmx-er or whatever was the new big thing. skate parks filled up with people wanting to fit into the “cool” crowd but soon many lost interest and moved on to the next thing. I fear that this might happen again with unicycling. if others start unicycling just to be a part of it it would take away from one of my favorite aspects of the sport; the fact that i have never met a unicyclist that did not have a passion and did not absolutely love crusin’ on one wheel. this may all just be my paranoid delusions but i just keep seeing scenes in my mind where a few years from now instead of people going “wow, neat” when you uni by, but instead “ohh, a unicycle pshhhhh, that’s like so 5 minutes ago…” not that i’ve ever really taken comments like that to heart but still… you can never really tell in situations like this, but what are you gonna do?

Man it’s getting hot in here!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like the data has been successfully skewed since my last visit :slight_smile:

gravity games

I think it would be pretty funny to see ping pong in the gravity games.

hey!

i just looked at the polls and mountain biking is at 16%

and unicycling is at 81%

All this seems to prove is that the gravitygames.com website poll software really sucks, or maybe it just proves how smart one wheelers really are! Unicyclists outsmart website programmers!

Since cheating is so easy, why not skew the results so that ping pong gets into second place, now that unicycling is in first? I kind of like ping pong.

Re: The Ultimate Cheat…

if only we could get such enthusiasm in our folding@home team. i can’t get internet on my folding computer, so can anyone tell me the ballpark of our ranking? it was at 280 something 2 weeks ago.

hm… unicycling in the big leagues…
we’re no. 1!!

Off-road and trials unicycling does not make for good action sports television. Unicycling is too slow and it doesn’t have the flow to make it interesting to watch.

DH mountain biking has the speed and flow but it is hard to get enough cameras on the course to be able to follow a rider all the way down the course. You end up with cameras positioned at the interesting rocky parts and no cameras on the rest of the course. You end up with a bike coming in to camera range, going over an interesting bit, going out of camera range, and then waiting for it to come in range of the next camera down the hill. That pretty much ruins the flow. If the Gravity Games can position enough cameras along the course and figure out how to do some high speed follow cams on a cable or something then they could pull it off. Otherwise DH bike racing just isn’t good mass market television.

Re: get unicycling into the gravity games!!!

thanx for the ‘heads-up!’ mark
:slight_smile:

with the figures being what they are, it would be nice if we could follow it up with a semi-formal proposal to the G-games organisers
is there any office bearer who can contact them and give them an idea of the different formats available, how many competitors they can expect etc.
the ‘hard’ che…work has been done now, we just need someone to go in for the kill

What about Auto racing. Rally is similar to what you are saying if your doing runs through the woods, and yet it makes for great TV.

Also you forget that many downhill courses are set up in the summertime at ski resorts. These areas are already cleared for spectators to view downhill ski racing and for room when hundreds of people are on the slopes.

I would think that watching a DH bike race would be similar to a Super-G race in sking. Thoes are alot of fun to watch and among the most popular durring the olimpics if I’m not mistaken.

Re: Re: The Ultimate Cheat…

We have plateaued at 222 for about a week. We can’t seem to bust through that point. More participants would help. At least we aren’t going backwards in the team ranking.

Here’s our stats page where we’re currently ranked at 222
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=13392

Here’s another stats page where we’re ranked at 218, but they don’t include the four aggregate teams in their count.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php?&pagenumber=3

It’s annoying to have teams with names like Team Milkdud ahead of us. :slight_smile:

For anyone interested in donating CPU time to the project check out the projects home page
http://folding.stanford.edu/
You should have a 500 MHz or better computer and be willing to run the client for 12 hours or more per day. If you are sitting on a 2 GHz or better computer quit being selfish and donate some of those CPU cycles to science and the CPUniCycles team. :slight_smile: Install the client, put in team number 13392 to join the CPUniCycles team and let your computer run 24/7.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Checkernuts
[B]

What about Auto racing. Rally is similar to what you are saying if your doing runs through the woods, and yet it makes for great TV.

[/i][/b]

The in-car cameras really add to the lack of out-of-car cameras. Not to mention that when the camera pans back, sometime you see several cars, and your excited goes up because you want to see them crash into each other.

A bike helmet mountain camera wouldn’t work, it just doesn’t give the viewer the same sense of adrenaline the biker feels.

Unicycling just isn’t exciting (except to us 50), it has no place in the G games.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Sofa
[B]

i have to take issue with that sentence

i still hear reactions from people who saw kris on ‘ripleys’, and that was while ago
people find it fascinating esp when they see stuff done on a uni that they never imagined possible
if this ‘novelty’ fascination will sustain a 30 minute program on down-hill muni can only be gauged by giving it that exposure and checking the ratings afterwards

it most definatively has a place at the g-games

You’re one of us 50.

Sure they think what Kris does on Ripley’s was awesome (and that’s why I’m here)
but do they want to watch a slow paced competition involving people who aren’t doing what Kris is? Probably not. The novelty, I’m sure, would wear off after 2 rounds when they see that everyone is doing the same tricks. Hop to here. Hop to there. balance for a bit. Face it, it’s dull (unless you’re in the know)

If I (as a unicyclist) sat down to watch the G games, I would be much more interested in watching the awesome stuff skaters and BMX’rs are doing. If I wanted to see unicycling, I’d sit down and watch ‘Into the the thu…’ hmmm, better put them on the G games!

as is ice-skating, gymnastics, ballroom dancing, aerobics competitions (come on, if they weren’t wearing leotards…), ski jumping, hockey, american football, jukskei and test cricket
depending on your side of the pond

i’m not suggesting unicycling will take on any of the above sports as far as tv-audiences go
i am still quite convinced that it can be a spectacle worthy of inclusion in the G-games
we can re-open the olympic discussion later

ps. i’m going to argue this till u change that sigline!!!
:wink: