Game changer - 36er CARBON wheel!

Heh, I’m in the same boat as you. So I use Spirit cranks, which means I may as well use an outboard brake. And then I get to use a symmetric hub, so a nice strong wheel. Win win! :slight_smile:

Indeed, for the two ducks that you are, the combination of 32-holes nimbus ISIS 100mm hub (without disc) + KH spirit cranks seems to be more appropriate. :wink:
Moreover, bouin bouin told me that nimbus 32-holes ISIS hub are now avaible at UDC. They’re ready to sell complete wheels!

While I’m looking for the best performing unicycle (my legs are efficient and very flexible), that’s why I prefer the 100mm disc hub + zero Q-factor cranks + lightweight pedal with a short axle (But yes, the price is an asymmetrical and weaker wheel).
By the way, I mount a zero Q-factor VCX triple cranks 100/125/150mm and I wonder if later I might buy a pair of M4O triple cranks AGILE 117/138/159mm, I need to practice to know if these sizes fit me better.

In addition, I just ordered on ebay a pair of carbon pedals with a titanium axle (80g, I think it’s the weight of one pedal). In my opinion it might be a bit fragile, but I needed a new pair of pedals, they weren’t expensive (50€) and their color (black and red) matched with my unicycle. :slight_smile:

If anyone is interested: lightest 100mm ISIS 32H hub (no disc) seems the Mad4One CrM. lightest 100mm ISIS DISC 32H seems the swiss from Einradshop.ch (but cannot find reviews anywhere). I bought the Nimbus disc and the wheel is however great

I’m not really good at uni, but I’m an “n+1” guy… so I started with a cheap 20", than a fat Hunirex, than a 29", than a g27,5 and now a 36er. Today finally I did the first test… 137 moment cranks (every other uni use 125mm cranks) and this is by far my ultimate choice uni. Only one con: carbon rim is really stiff when gravel/small rocks riding (but it could fly over anything)

M4O hub has very small flanges, Swiss hub a little bit better but not a lot ; this is not good for spokes strength

I found 32mm rim tape is perfect for going tubeless. I did spend a lot of time to get the tire right fitted, but now it is flat-proof

Built mine onto a Nimbus hub, which seemed almost heavier than the rim - and even with the old, heavyweight, version of the Nightrider tyre, it is indeed amazing, transforms the whole 36" experience.

My tyre is looking a bit worn on the sidewalls tho - not sure if that’s because it’s flexing a lot on the narrow rim, but it is a very old tyre, so time for a new one. I tried the “lightweight” 36" Nightrider tyre a while back on a Dominator rim and didn’t like the cornering, hence the heavyweight 36" tyre I have now. But I’ve tried a 32" lightweight Nightrider since and it seemed really good…

This is the only thread where I’ve seen mention of the Qu-ax King George Ultimate (lightweight version), so I’m wondering whether I should get one of those (for the Alchemist rim), or the lightweight Nightrider? How do they compare e.g. on cornering?

Cheers, Alan

I believe the current version of the TA tyre is also a lightweight build similar to the Nightrider and King George.

How do people feel about the crashability of this rim? It’s probably going to be used for muni and the chances of rock strikes are pretty high.

Carbon rims can be pretty tough (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjjiHGuHoc) but still… it would be sad to crack it.

Please be careful using carbon rim + king george ultimate + tubeless setup! The light sidewall of the tire did bend while I was accelerating really hard, causing a pinch of the sidewalls against the rim: the tire survived well, but the tire get a cut that the sealant wasn’t unable to close. So don’t ride tubeless with that setup, or use an insert or use a tube (foss or butyl). For those interested I ride 137 cranks (so lot of acceleration) and weight 74kgs… the tire sqatted at. the end of the downhill and than completely collapsed as soon as I started pushing hard to regain speed

What pressure?

Was riding around 20-25 PSI. I read that uni tires are made to resist during downhill and during high acceleration should bend to not loose grip (like a rear bike tire)… usually they aren’t so lightweight, so deinflated, so tubeless and in that specific situation. But now I know that I will use a tire insert

I am interested to know about the ease of tire mounting too.

Has anyone built their Schlumpf hub into one?

Any thoughts about skipping the holes and lacing the 32 hole rim to a 36 hole hub?

Martin Charrier posted in Facebook Geared Unicycle Chat about a solution to incorporate a disc brake with the 32 hole rim and Schlumpf hub.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/268679360444983/permalink/601888600457389/

No issue for me to fit a QU-AX King George Ultimate, no test yet to remove it

Looking forward to seeing the first carbon rimmed Schlumpf 36er but I wouldn’t recommend skipping holes @Rowan - the shell flanges are already heavily stressed in high gear and especially for the older design hubs they do love to break even with an even lacing.

First prototype of the flange adapter is being tested as we speak. It’ll also bring internal disc brake to the Schlumpf hub!

4 Likes

I am currently testing the machine. I have to ride it more to give my opinion. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So basically you are effectively making the hub narrower or, more specifically, relocating the spokes further in to accommodate the disc? It also converts the hub from 36 to 32 holes so you can properly fit the carbon rim. Cool! Still can’t figure why they chose to make the carbon rim with 32 rather than 36 holes. Not really worth the loss of strength and stability to save a few measly grams.

3 Likes

Ignoring the strength and weight side of things, why would you reduce your potential market (seemingly) so significantly?

The rim is incompatible with geared hubs (without these adapters), Q-Axle, square taper, and almost all ISIS hubs out there. I suppose that the bike market has a greater number of 32h hubs but the 36" bike market can’t be huge.

Maybe if you’re happy to spend that amount on a rim you’re also happy to do a complete upgrade though.

Ignoring the strength and weight side of things, why would you reduce your potential market (seemingly) so significantly?

The rim is incompatible with geared hubs (without these adapters), Q-Axle, square taper, and almost all ISIS hubs out there. I suppose that the bike market has a greater number of 32h hubs but the 36" bike market can’t be huge.

I’m guessing the 36" bike market is at least as big as the uni market, and growing, and bikes are all 32 or even 28 spokes these days. But I’m sure UDC can get whatever drilling they want, so why 32 for the ones aimed at us? It does seem strange.

The carbon rim is designed specifically for the number of spokes. 36 spoke would require a whole new mould.

1 Like