Game changer - 36er CARBON wheel!

I think the difference in price is due to removing vat tax?

Did you measure the rim yourself terry? I know carbon rims are light but the nimbus II 24 inch rim (which is not particularly light is 584 grams. It seems almost impossible that a 36 inch rim can weigh the same even in carbon haha.

the 580g weight claimed by the manufacturer is accurate as confirmed by two different weight scales I have. Believe it or not, the original weight was 480g, but they decided to add more carbon fiber on the side walls and spoke holes which added the extra 100g.

Wowzers. I hope it lasts. It is meant to have two wheels taking the weight not just one but hopefully it is still a good strength

This is magnificent and really tempting!

I didn’t find such a light rim as replacement of my 36er steel rim in the past and so I decided to build my own rim. I rode it for nearly 3 years now. It costs about 36€, weights about 619 grams and it has 36 holes. The rotating mass of the total wheel was devided by two. Astonishingly I didn’t notice so much difference while riding. But it is much easier to carry.

The main problem was that my rim requires a disc break and it took 1 year to design a disk break mount for my square taper generation 1 Schlumpf hub. As shown somewhere here in the forum, my rim has the theoretical advantage that it can be dismounted into 2 parts for traveling.

Light AND skinny? That’s the sorta rim I’ve been wanting from a 36er!

Now to make a nice lightweight 1.8 or 2" 36er tyre :sunglasses:

Does it feel nice and stiff like your LB carbon 26er Terry? If I hadn’t just built up a carbon g29er this 100% would’ve been my weapon of choice :astonished:

I can’t imagine that a lite Nightrider on a skinny rim would feel very wide as they’re pretty round as it is. I know you love weirdly skittish tyres but thinner 36" tyres sounds pretty awful!

1 Like

It doesn’t look or feel any narrower with the carbon rim. And I don’t know what you mean when you say I “love weirdly skittish tires”. :thinking:

The skittish tyres comment was directed towards Piece Maker, but it’s interesting that you don’t find it feels any narrower. What PSI are you running?

Somewhere between 55 and 60 PSI on the road, and around 30 PSI for Muni

Here’s a shot of the nightrider lite Tire on the carbon rim.
The second shot shows the carbon rim next to the stealth rim and you can see there’s really no difference in the width. Can you guess whether the carbon rim is on the left or right?

Btw, the weight of the original NR wheelset, minus disc, cranks and pedals is 10lbs!

On my muni I have a 32mm (external) rim and a 2.35 tyre. I must admit that I’ve often wished for a wider rim to improve stability.

Totally different wheel and tyre on the 36er though, so maybe a narrow rim is fine there.

Didn’t the Quax 36ers come with a 32mm rim at one point? Do they still do so?

Btw, the outer diameter of the carbon Rim is 33.5mm vs 42mm for the stealth ll.

My 36er Rim has an outer diameter of only 24.5mm. It rides without any problem. I ride it with high pressure on the road. So for sure the 33.5mm diameter of the carbon wheel is no problem at all… with high pressure on the road.

Which 36er rim has such a super narrow width? Must be the Alex 787x25.

Well I don’t read german but it looks like his own creation :wink:

English version :
https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unicyclist.com%2Fforums%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D1693078%26postcount%3D129

Yup, the rim is my own creation. For Aluminium waiting is over. I avoided showing special tools in my report. So feel free to go to your workshop and create your own custom rim right now!
I investigated how to create carbon wheels. But for carbon I guess it is better to wait for what other people create for us.

This is fantastic! I’d been meaning to do the same thing for years. I’m glad someone else beat me to it and proved the concept! :slight_smile: