Full Body back flips, discussion thread/ Competition thread.

Ok, here’s what I think. I have really thought about doing this before, but haven’t really tried it. I can do a standing, flatland backflip, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbu2uzFwhXs - that’s me) and that is hard. I don’t think it is possible to do that on flat ground with a 15 lbs. unicycle. However, I really think it is possible to do one off a ledge of some sorts. If you still try it on flat ground, I think it would take A LOT more than just balls do even get close to landing it. I don’t want to sound like a downer, in fact I want to be in the competition, but I think doing one on flat ground is very unrealistic.:frowning: I will try it off a ledge, but by Sept., I probably wont get it. (I may wait for the snow :roll_eyes: ) Good luck, and be safe.

I have always been able to do backflips into water, but I have never attempted one on foam/grass/whatever. I would like to learn how to do a standing backflip from the ground, but I would want to do it in a gym with a spotter. Doing a backflip with a uni sounds too crazy to me, but good luck!

I have always wanted to be able to do a standing backflip from the ground, but I would definitely want to do it in a gym with foam and a spotter. Doing backflips off ledges into water is pretty easy, and I have fun doing that. Doing a backflip with a unicycle sounds really hard though, good luck with that!

Here is a pic of me doing a backflip off a ledge near a waterfall last weekend by the way. For now, I will stick to just backflipping into water, but hopefully someday I will get myself into a gym and learn how to do a standing backflip.

hi ian, are you going to do a backflip on the ground?

edit: this guys a douche, but his tutorial seems really good

Yeah, I was a dork when I made that back in 7th. grade.

I’ve always wanted to do a regular backflip on the ground, I don’t want to try it on a unicycle. I also want to learn how to backflip off of a tree.

This is me too-

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread.
I think you should get normal backflips solid on tramp, then try ground or solid to tramp, then elevated uni to pool then maybe elevated uni to tramp?
A believe its possible but the flat uni backflip is a little too crazy.
There are plenty of tutorials on youtube
This one give the idea of using a spotter. This would be something to look into but possibly a little dangerous?

Why is it to crazy? I believe it can be done. Years ago wouldn’t they have said 900 uni-spins and front flips are a little too crazy? It’s time to just do it.

Thats true. I think the mechanics of the trick would be very hard but i guess they said that about the front and 900 too…
You got me there. Good luck

I tried flips today, with 2 spotters. We got it down on a really light kid. When they tried with me it kind of worked, but I landed right on my neck.

With a unicycle on flat ground? :thinking:

flat with no unicycle of course

I’d learn on a trampeline first. Once you’re able to do just a normal backflip on the trampeline, then learn to tuck and try a less bouncy trampeline. After that I’d do this again except of a ledge with a foam pit. Finally, once you’re comfortable with that, then do it with the unicycle.

My neck hurts really bad. I can feel my spine to like the bottom of my shoulder blades. It hurts to turn my heads. The pain has gotten worse.

I think that what your trying is awesome, and I hope to help. When doing a backflip, a lot of it is in your arms pulling you up and back. On a uni, you will have only one arm, if that (holding the seat). So that will be more difficult.

I’ve heard that to train people to jump higher, people will use special weight vests and jump a lot with those, then when they get used to them they take them off. It supposedly makes you jump higher because you feel lighter. If your willing to try it, just hop on a uni for a long time with the vest, then try taking it off, and see if you jump higher.

Or (after a lot of practice) try doing it on the uni with spotters. If it isn’t going good mid-rotation, ditch the uni and tuck to spin faster.

Thanks. I might just have to get me a weight vest.

Well, if it works, that vest would be one heck of an investment! 1000 dollars!

I bet you can get some cheaper than that.

I’m out for a while anyways. Right now I can’t move my neck at all. It’s in alot of pain. If I move my neck I have excruciating pain. I pulled a muscle today wrestling around on the ground. I guess that and the flip really did a number. The right half of my neck is rock solid. I can’t even sleep, drink, or take a shower without it being a real pain.

I thought the object of the spotters was to make sure you don’t land on your neck.:frowning: