Full Body back flips, discussion thread/ Competition thread.

i would go by a pool, stack up maybe 2 or 3 pallets and just keep practicing and take off a pallet or 2 wen you get good at that number

The recorded front flip in the videos forum was done off a high stack of pallets. Starting out stacking pallets next to a pool is a good idea. Water is a great landing medium and this would be a good way to practice spotting the target with little threat of injury. I would have suggested starting off on a low springboard at a pool. This way you could easily do the rotation and practice spotting the target before advancing to a pallet stack.

Wickedbob I hate you jk. I was just planning on making a competition like this. Im gonna start working on flipping on a unicycle soon. I have no where to do it so i guess ill do it in the grass in my yard. I can already frontflip and backflip so I wonder how long it will take me to get it on a unicycle( if I can even get it at all). I’ll try the frontflip first. It seems alot less scary then a backflip and smaller chance of injury.

That is the spirit. I still have to learn them on my feet, so your probably a lot better off than I am. How long did it take you to learn them on your feet? I’m guessing a couples months or so.

I learned backflips and frontflips on my feet when i was pretty young so I dont remember how long it took but it shouldnt take you too long if you practice alot. I also wonder if a sideflip would be possible. It would be the least scary since you can look at the ground the whole time. Well enough talking. Im gonna put my seat really low and go out and try them

Yeah, hopefully not. I always freak out int he air and land goofy. Back flips scare me to death, but so did jumping down sets on my uni. Good luck.

Hmmmmmmm i may enter.Ill be practicing frontflips and backflips on flat first because i cant even do them.I seriously think that if you are going to do this you should dedicate alot of time to getting a really high prehop aswell as practicing flips off the uni

Of course, I’d say a very good tuck as well since your not going to want to hit yourself in the face/ chest with the seat.

I’m going to use a mouth guard when I get practicing them on the uni for sure, also a helmet.

I’d say if you have a 30in hop your so with the tuck you’d be good, I have no experience though, I’m kind of guessing, well 100% guessing.

Sorry for the threadjack but I would really want to see someone backflip or frontflip off a unicycle and then land back on it. I mean jump up flip and land on the unicyle without it moving. I think it might be possible. I was looking at that video where loic(I think it was him) did a frontflip dismount amd i noticed that the unicycle fell after he landed his flip so maybe it could be done.

I can hop 36 inches high so my prehop and tuck is quite good.Ill definately wear a helmet even for learning them without the uni lol

yep, im deffo in, i’ll beat ya.

Glad to here it. I made this as motivation so we can share our steps/ progress and methods that way it will not seem as impossible.

Good luck, I’m not letting you grab the title free though.

first i gotta buidz me a foam pitz.

Why? Do it into water, or the grass. It’s more dangerous and takes more balls, but I’m sure you could get it to work.

i dont want to do it into water and on grass is still risky

Yeah, I’m probably going to practice into snow when the season comes round in 5-6 months.

Random thoughts on the subject…

If you’ve never had any gymnastics training you should go take some lessons, or if you’ve got balls (and no money) and want to do backyard acrobatics get a spotter and just start flipping off stuff.

I would say to practise more of a back layout/whipback rather than a tuck. If you’ve got access to a gym practise there, perhaps off some blocks into the pit or onto some mats. Try practising with a unicycle sized piece of foam squeezed between your legs.

I think the dynamics would be somewhat similar to a backflip on a pogo stick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e4YsfE-Wg0
If you don’t already know a layout is more what this kid is doing… whipping your head back and letting your legs come after, opposed to a tuck where your head stays up and your legs tuck up. This kid is whipping his head back too soon, which makes him go too far back, instead of up. The pogo really gives you a lot of punch, if you used that same technique on the ground with just your body you’d drill your head into the ground.

In this pogo video the dude gets great height and still drills his head in the ground:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZwdHbVNLU

This guy does a great layout/whipback on the pogo, on the first one notice how nicely his legs whip through:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8x8X1XfdY&feature=related
Well, the first one was great…

Here’s a video of a random kid doing a sort-of layout from a bit of height:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bcEd7O1dL8&feature=related

Here’s a gymnast doing a good standing layout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApwXdRVHju4

I think doing a uni-backflip on the ground will be very difficult, would help if you’ve had gymnastic/circus training.

Doing it off of something, like at picnic table height, wouldn’t be as hard as you’d have more airtime, but then you’d have to work in the dynamics of pushing away from the table so you don’t hit it on the way down.

Doing it on a large trampoline wouldn’t be difficult to flip, but the hard parts would be starting a bounce and landing.

A rumor in the circus, I never saw it, was that a guy with a unicycle act did one. I think he would bounce atop of a table, down onto a mini-tramp and backflip onto a crash mat.

During my time in the circus I met a few people that did backtucks OFF the unicycle, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dov9Gagqcrw

By the way, as a sort of disclaimer… don’t try this ALONE, make sure you have trained pros or someone who knows how to properly spot you. Just a backflip alone is dangerous so be careful if you’re actually attempting this trick.

find a pool with a good ledge and have at it. make sure you are in good with the owners and do it at funny times when nobody is there, i imagine after enough attempts it will work.

Good Luck lol, but i think its possible, wear a helmet =] if you do this you will inspire everyone.

Good luck, you should see if they would let you use a foam pit at a gymnastics place by you during an open to the public time or find a group that has the whole gym for an hour a day or something and ask if you could use the pit during that time. A pool would work as well if you have one.