Freewheel Unicycling Megathread

Those are the same two videos. Is it an error?

You might want to add those two videos of @toutestbon:

1 Like

Such control in the indoor training vid. Nice to watch. I got scared of my freewheel when I made a hard drop backwards on my bum. As toutestbon is hopping on the uni with just his legs in the air, I reckon I could try and get comfortable with that first. Riding on a normal uni and then just lifting one foot, I already find scary. But the idea of not having to pedal will make riding probably very pleasant and you might be able to go bigger distances.

1 Like

Ahh yes, how could I forget the freewheel Schlumpf hub. I’ll add that information.

The single speed however looks like a Nimbus/Madazz shell with square taper cranks so nothing special there.

[EDIT - how wrong I was here. The Bicymple hub is the ISIS wonder we’d been waiting for]

Yes. Oddly I noticed the mistake while writing the post, but then I must have forgotten to fix it! It’s fixed now.

The indoor one I’d been looking for actually - I couldn’t remember who had recorded it!
Probably a good one for the learning section as it shows a variety of mounts from both sides in high quality.

The santa one, perhaps Road and Distance seeing as it’s on flat?

1 Like

I don’t know if the Santa one is necessary. It’s mostly fun, there’s nothing more than on other videos. That’s as you like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right now I think that most videos can probably fit in, but they’ll no doubt have to be thinned out to what’s most useful/impressive as more freewheel videos are created.

1 Like

Alright! So Road and Distance for this one :slight_smile:

@Eddbmxdude, a bit of a random one, but I only just got around to listening to #unicyclelife episode 3…
I’ll stay up to date in future I promise!
I did have a good chuckle when my name was mentioned.
Edit: Now on Episode 8 - good to hear your further thoughts.

Now that we’re a bit on from that, have your thoughts around freewheeling changed at all?

I think this was the pumping video you referenced in the podcast
(No Pedaling! - YouTube)

and I presume you’ve seen these ones?
(freewheel unicycle park - YouTube)
(AJ - Jumps - Instagram)

1 Like

Great thread! Year 2021, the year of the freewheel?

I don’t know if it has its place here, but to start freewheeling I would tend to advise to use old rims and tires (I like the idea of giving them a second life). Those parts you don’t want to use anymore because they weigh twice as much as the ones that just came out. A heavier wheel will be more stable in coasting, it’s not so bad to start freewheeling or to go for distance on flat roads by alternating pedaling and coasting phases.

I know that most of us want to practice off-road. But, 1/ we have to keep in mind that the current freewheel hubs show big weaknesses in off-road climbs, 2/ it’s not given to everyone to practice freewheeling off-road without going through a learning phase on flat ground, 3/ you can own a freewheel unicycle for flat terrain and another one for off-road, we all know that it is by the number of unicycles that we recognize the true enthusiasts haha

I should soon get a 36" freewheel unicycle with an 1,2kg aluminum rim and a 2kg tire! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope so but I think the Qu-Ax hub will be a hugely important factor. Right now hubs are somewhat hard to get to in many countries and as you mentioned they’re not ideal for what people want to do with them.
With any luck any remaining issues with Qu-Ax prototypes and manufacturing will be resolved soon and release won’t be delayed too far from their previous Spring 2021 aim.

I think this has been the approach of quite a few of us freewheeling - definitely for me. Every freewheel I’ve built up has been from other unused wheelsets I’ve had lying around, or from old parts.

This is true, but so far I don’t think we’ve had any full hub failures with the JR hub yet and plenty of people have been riding offroad for a few years now. It’s more the Nimbus/Madazz hubs where the shell loves to crack in half when climbing with long cranks!

I have the parts to do something very similar (Nimbus rim and old TA tyre), but I’ve been holding off partly due to thinking that the weight could be a big issue.
I’ve also been waiting for the Qu-Ax hub as it feels like the instant engagement on such a large wheel could make a huge difference.

1 Like

I reuploaded my videos and created these playlists:

Freewheel Unicycling - For Novelty Use Only (39 videos)

Peg Unicycling (6 videos)

6 Likes

In this paragraph, you could add bearing dimensions to fit square axle in ISIS frame. The dimensions announced by @muni_ben : here (17x42x12mm)
I didn’t check the measurements, but I just ordered 4 of them on aliexpress. :innocent:

1 Like

So I put that info in the build FAQ but perhaps it should be there also.

I’ve had similar bearings on all of my freewheel hubs for a few years now (although I ordered them from eBay) so I can say that the sizing is definitely correct.

2 Likes

@qu-ax, is there any chance of an update to the estimated release date for the new hub?

I know there have been delays due to COVID so I’m guessing Spring is unlikely now?

Also do you know yet whether there will also be a complete wheelset/unicycle for sale or offered as a built to order on the website? I know even back in the Nimbus Drift Trike hub days people were asking about complete wheelsets rather than having to arrange all of the wheelbuilding themselves.

1 Like

Spring is impossible, indeed.
Delays in bike-industry (to which we belong, supply-wise) explode - on some items, they are about 2 years!! now. I would love to have it until end of year, but every date I would name now would be like claiming to know when the pandemic is going to end :slight_smile: sorry.

As this is rather a specific item - and most riders will want another rim (than the one I would have in mind right now), it’ll most probably be as spare. But that is also like thinking about making a 5.000 or 10.000 people party once the pandemic is “over” :slight_smile:

Sorry, I can fully understand you impatience - and once I know more, I will be glad to share, but right now, I cannot tell more precisely, sorry!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update and your continued work on the progression of the niche within a niche that is freewheeling!

1 Like

Here are some pictures of my freewheel hub.

I made the hub housing a bit different to the drawing.
It was easyer to build two parts welded together with a short piece of pipe between them. Building it out of 7075 aluminium would be less weight.
The axle is built as a pipe. I cut off the isis ends of a bottom bracket and grinded them on a lathe. So i could stick them into the axle and braze it together with cusi3.
Inside the hub there are two csk25pp 2rs one-way bearings. So if they are turned arround the disc brake is on the right side. Outside there are normal 22x42x12 isis bearings.
To hold the disc there is a big washer screwed to the hub.
I think everyone who is able to use a lathe and a simple milling machine is able to diy.

11 Likes

How did you maintain concentricity and symmetry of the ISIS ends of your new axle?

It seems like it would be very easy to get skewed bearing surfaces as well as crank interfaces.

Looks like the inside of the axle and outside of the ISIS end could be turned/machined to a pretty close tolerance and then some relief ground on parts of the ISIS end to allow for silver brazing. Alignment should not be a problem.

Yes i made a very close tolerance between the inside of the axle and the narrowing of the ISIS. I hammered the ISIS ends into the axle. Between the ISIS and the axle there was a small V-gap for brazing.
Before brazing i put the cranks temporarily on to aline them.

3 Likes