Freewheel Unicycling Megathread

Almost certainly. The relative motion of the cranks to the wheel is the same, whether it’s rolling backwards, or you’re pedalling to make it go forwards.

1 Like

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if the sprag clutch hub was the same as a freecoaster hub. A freecoaster unicycle hub would be a niche within a niche within a niche (maybe only for Tibo or Mimo).

Hi all,

First freewheel session in the bag , Only about half an hour and i didn’t film it.

I think i played it safe leaning forwards lots so most falls i just ran off the front, I did go backwards a few times but luckily stayed on my feet all but one where i did roll onto the floor but gently.

It sure is a fine line between being on the uni to off it. I found that for some reason i stopped pedalling which both surprised me and is when it goes wrong!

I did mange to coast very briefly so i could see the attraction in freewheel aspect.

I think i had my weight on saddle rather than on my feet which is possibly not ideal.

I didn’t manage to catch the uni on the brake as its gone before i got the chance even thou i was covering the lever.

For my first time i am pleased with how i did as i was fully expecting to of fallen off badly which thankfully was not the case. I only managed around 30 feet which is possibly not great but is what it is.

Any tips from experienced freewheelers would be great.

3 Likes

This is my tenth year riding a freewheel unicycle and I’ve ridden thousands of miles on at least a dozen freewheels. Since May I’ve gone back to riding my freewheel 4-5 times a week after a considerable hiatus. Here’s my advice: (1) give yourself some slack, (2) keep practicing, and (3) have fun. I’m one of those people that need to warm up for anything so I also throw out (no judgment) the first 5-15 minutes of any practice or ride. It definitely helps to have a good place to practice. I practiced on a flat sidewalk at first, moved to a slight incline, then steeper inclines, then finally off road. One important thing to remember is that beyond the muscle memory and skill that you’ll build up over time you also need to build up the muscles you use to balance on a freewheel. You may not have those yet so initial practice is particularly difficult. You’re building your skill the same time you’re building up those muscles.

2 Likes

Hey @mowcius,
I’ve added a few months ago a table of content component on the forum.
Maybe it would be a good idea to merge your first posts in a single one and use an interactive table of content.

You can find a few examples of how it looks here (the right timeline is replaced by an interactive table of content when you’re reading the first post):

As far as I know, this component can handle a depth of 3.

What do you think about it?

I’d love to and it’s been on my list, I’ve just not found the time to do it!

Maybe I’ll make time over lunch today.

2 Likes

The QU-AX Hub is finally available!

2 Likes

Nooooo! I didn’t want to spend more money this month :cry:

By the way, be aware they are not meant to do jumps or drops:

For your safety
This hub is not a toy but a piece of sports equipment. Inexperienced handling can lead to serious injury or death!
If used by minors, an adult must supervise the use. Use is only permitted by one (1) person.
Riding a unicycle with a freewheel hub requires an extreme amount of practice and should only be done by advanced riders - keeping your balance forward/
backward is particularly difficult on these and is only possible with a brake built onto the unicycle. When assembling the unicycle with this hub, the installation of a
brake is absolutely necessary. Due to the high and hard restraint, we recommend a disc brake. Wear sturdy shoes when using the unicycle. Wear suitable protective
clothing (back protector, knee-, elbow- and ankle- protection) as well as a safety helmet that provides sufficient protection at the back of the head.
Due to their construction, unicycles are extremely unstable. In the beginning, there may be more falls. Wear protective equipment!
For home use only! This sports equipment is intended for private use only (no commercial or public use).
• This vehicle may only be used for its intended purpose, i.e. as a piece of sports equipment for use by one (1) person.
• Any other use is not permitted and may be dangerous. The manufacturer cannot be held responsible for damage caused by improper use.
• Damaged components can endanger the safety of users and affect the service life of the vehicle. Therefore, carry out regular checks of all components for
possible damage and loose connections (screws, plug connections, etc.) at short intervals appropriate to the operation. Replace damaged/worn components
immediately and withdraw the product from use until it has been repaired. Otherwise, unforeseeable damage/dangers could occur. If necessary, use only origi-
nal QU-AX or OnlyOne spare parts! Check the inside of the hub regularly (every 10 riding hours) and clean it, check for visual damage (after every ride).
• The max. user weight is 100 kg
• Improper repairs and structural changes (removal of original parts, installation of non-permitted parts, etc.) can be dangerous for the user or impair the ser-
vice life of the product or the service life of the product may be impaired.
• Due to the instability of the riding position on a unicycle, this hub is not suitable for use on public roads.
The hub is not suitable for jumps or drops.
• Ensure that it is only used in a hazard-free environment.
• Discbrake rotors can become very hot during use - risk of burns!
• Stow or avoid shoelaces, they can get caught in the brake, crank, pedals or other unicycle parts and cause a fall and injury.

The two funniest for me are:

1. Check the inside of the hub regularly (every 10 riding hours) and clean it, check for visual damage (after every ride).
  2. Due to the instability of the riding position on a unicycle, this hub is not suitable for use on public roads.

If I had one and did #1 it would not work on the next ride. #2 makes a little sense (I wouldn’t recommend a freewheel for a bike courier in a big city) but maybe “busy public roads” would be better. I don’t practice coasting on public roads but brake-coast style riding is pretty stable.

2 Likes

I quite like this one too…

I tried to buy one this morning when they went on sale but unfortunately Qu-ax no longer do shipping to the UK because of Brexit VAT complications – or maybe it is really that given the recent “stuff” going on here this is not a hazard-free environment :wink:

2 Likes

Being advertised not for jumps or drops, and the recommendation to check it so frequently seems a bit crap honestly, for something which so far we’ve seen primarily being ridden off-road.

At the price I’d absolutely like it to be able to handle some abuse.

It might be a fair price compared to the price of the switchable Mad4One hub, but if the Bicymple hub can be produced again then I’d expect it to be more like $150-200. Sadly Josh didn’t respond to the last email I sent. Maybe I should send another.

2 Likes

Also interesting that there’s no mention of the fact it’s a sprag clutch hub (presuming it still is) - which for me would be the main selling point.

Some info from Qu-ax:

1 Like

Hi DRD how’s it going? What wheel size are you planning on building a freewheel into and have you ridden a freewheel yet?

I have built one into a 20” as a wheel I swap into my 27.5” quax but I really need to get a frame to built it into of its own. Even though swapping the wheel over is only a five minute job I think having a freewheel ready to go unicycle would get me on it more as so far I’ve only ridden twice!

Any chance of someone looking for a new home for a Bicymple hub? I’m looking to buy one and hoping not to have to wait for if or when they come back in stock.

The only freewheels I’ve ridden are in bikes and trikes :slight_smile: so this will be new territory! Given my limited fixed wheel uni-skills have been somewhat neglected recently it is maybe a step too far – however… stretch goals as they say.

I was going to put this into a 27.5" wheel, I was intending just building it into a new frame etc. I was intending getting another LightBicycle rim for the wheel. I was going to go with the 27.5" since I haven’t got one of those, fair enough it might be harder to learn, we’ll see how it goes.

My 29" Oracle has a broken out flange on the hub but I bought a Mad4One hub quite a while ago to fix that (but haven’t done it yet), so reusing that uni with the new wheel is a possibility. I just need to get the Pipifax hub first.

From the two goes I’ve had I can happily say that two wheel bike freewheel riding brings nothing to help unicycle freewheeling!

I balance wheelie mtb catching it on the brake when it comes to high which I hoped would be beneficial but I found that even with brake lever covered the unicycle has gone down before I had a chance to squeeze the brake! Hopefully with time it will be a different story :crossed_fingers:

I hope you can get a hub soon as I’d be interested in hearing how you get on.

2 Likes

6.5kg (@27.5x3.8)

Pictures will follow these days…

5 Likes

in our municycle club www.ursli.li the freewheel group is growing and riding real hard, here a recent video of the best from the club: urs

https://youtu.be/pVPXcLzp2fE

7 Likes

Is anyone using the flick flock with spirit cranks? I don’t see why it wouldn’t work unless there’s some clearance issue.

Having that ramp up to the button’s edges seems like it would make it all a lot smoother