First uni - 24 or 26?

Hello there, I’m not a cyclist yet, but I will be pretty soon. I’ve already read a lot around these forums so I’m pretty excited to start (I almost think I’m already a unicyclist :D).

I’m now trying to decide between one of two unicycles as my first: a Torker LX 24 (comes with 152mm cranks) and a Torker LX 26 (with 170 mm cranks). My main use will be traveling around town (I’m gonna practice in private til I’m about a level 3 though :)) but I also plan to learn tricks like the ones done in freestyle performances (maybe for a talent show). The main reason I want a 26 is for the speed, though I realize I still won’t be able to compete against cars or bikes.

How fast are these unis compared to each other, and how much difference will buying new cranks make? It’s likely I’ll get new cranks, but I won’t be getting a second uni for another year or so. How fast do they feel riding with pedestrians or bmx bikes? Any help choosing between these two unis is appreciated.

Also, on a side note: How fast can you get on a geared coker? :wink:

I think that a 24 would be a good compromise for you.

I really believe that a 24 with 150s is pretty much the perfect size for grown people learning to unicycle. It would also be decent for learning tricks and cruising around.

A 24 would be about equal to jogging speed wise. Switching to 125s once you have the basics would make riding faster and smoother.

Thanks! - I suppose that makes sense. Now all I have to do is wait…

I would start with 125s on the 24". 150s are overkill, even for MUni (140s work well there).

You know, I wouldn’t have said this until recently, but you might just want to buy a 20", learn how to ride it, and then switch to very short cranks. I have 100mm cranks on my 20" Nimbus X Freestyle, and I was surprised at how fast I could go on that thing. I was able keep up with my friend on his 29" with 137 cranks last time we went cruising (although I admit he wasn’t exactly trying to race me).

I’d recommend getting the 20" LX or 20" Club, but probably the club. Learn how to ride decently, and then switch the cranks out for some 89mm ones.

Advantages of this plan:
-20" unis are easier to learn with
-20" unis are ideal for freestyle
-89mm cranks are a good size for freestyle, and can provide you with some decent speed for cruising around

Disadvantages of this plan:
-You’re stuck with a 20" wheel
-The shorter cranks take a little getting-used-to
-Riding trails is almost out of the question

And that’s why I’d recommend a 20", yo!

For riding distances, I would most certainly not recommend a 20". Maybe it’s personal preferences, but riding a 20" isn’t much better than walking in my opinion (although the shortest cranks I’ve tried were 102 mm).

A 26", on the other hand, is somewhere between walking and bicycling. With 125 mm cranks, I’m faster than most people walking/jogging, but slower than bicyclists (sometimes equal/slightly faster on uphill slopes).

With that said, I agree with saskatchewanian and johnfoss that 24" sounds like a good compromise to you for distance riding and freestyle.

I wouldn’t recommend learning to unicycle on a 24 with 125mm cranks - too much speed and not enough control in those initial hours/days, will just take longer to learn and increase the chance of injury in that initial period, imo anyway.

Not sure a 24" is going to be the best size if freestyle is the aim. A 20" could work out better. You’d probably learn to ride in less time on the 20" as well as being a handy size to master new skills and perform on. Getting around on most size uni’s is more fun than walking, even if it isn’t quicker by much if any.

If you’ve ordered the 24" with 152mm cranks already, no worries. All uni’s are cool in the end and 24" is a versatile size. Cranks for the Torker are inexpensive, can always experiment with crank lengths later on.

Have fun!