Features nostalgia

Hi everybody,

I am not looking to start a debate :rofl: but we all use the forum slightly differently making us all notice a different feature that we use to use/enjoy and that changed or disappeared.

In the «change» category, I missed the page number jump and go to latest page button (formerly top right). Then I realized that the post progress status (bottom right) was expanding and that you had a button to jump to an arbitrary post number (good to know but a few actions away). And finally, I noticed that there was a scrolling control in the expanded dialog (right side) that can loosely help to jump where you want quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

In the «miss it» category, I would miss the post count and the signature. Quick check in the preferences (without coffee) yielded nothing. I was wondering if it is just a feature that need to be activated or if it is completely not in the discourse philosophy?

3 Likes

I think it’s not in the discourse philosophy. However, you can add a bio to your profile. Then, anybody can click on your profile picture in any thread and see your bio. That’s like a signature :slight_smile:
Here you can see mine: “French unicyclist. Riding everyday, everywhere.”

Regarding the post count, do you mean the number of post a user wrote? If so, you can see it in a user summary (double click on a profile picture and go to the “summary” tab).

IMHO, Discourse tries to be as minimalistic as possible. Those data you miss are redundant: they appear within each message so they “pollute” threads. Having less information in threads helps people to focus on what’s really important: the messages, not the signatures and/or the post count.

2 Likes

@Abrikot summarized it well.

You can “pimp” your user profile/card.
Other good examples:
https://unicyclist.com/u/rogeratunicycledotcom
https://unicyclist.com/u/ajata_einradversand

Discourse tends to reduce information that isn’t very relevant ou important.

As for the “go to last post” when you open a topic that you didn’t read before (or in which you didn’t already go to the last post previously), there are several ways to do that:

1. drag’n drop the timeline cursor to the bottom
  2. click on the last timestamp right under the timeline
  3. press your keyboard end key
  4. from the topic list, click the last activity timestamp:

The timeline remembers where you are each time you leave a topic, and put you at the same location the next time you visit this topic.

3 Likes

I do somewhat miss post numbers (for each thread, not so much the users post count) as they helped direct people where to start reading when referred to a long thread. The fact that threads can branch off now makes that less nessisary.

All and all I’m very happy with the overall feel of the new forum.

2 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean by post numbers?

Your last post would have been post #5 for this thread and this one #6. You can still get the post numbers when scrolling, you just don’t see them on the post itself.

With the lack of pages and post numbers the forum looks much cleaner, but it’s maybe a bit harder to direct people to the middle of another thread. We can still link people to individual posts so it’s not a big deal. I’d rather adapt to the new format than regress back to pages. You can definitely be nostalgic for inferior systems :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This would also make it easier to know when to page dance.

:man_dancing:

I don’t understand what you are asking for.

@aarons’ post is number 7 (of 8), @mowcius# post is number 8. Mine is 9.
The displayed number on the right is the number of the topmost visible post. So as long as you see the thin line under saskatchewanians post it displays 6/8, at the moment this line disappears it switches to 7/8.
This number is also shown in the url as far as you stop scrolling. (the nuber behind the last slash)
As for pagedances, we need to define a number of posts per page. If we define 10 per page, it’s the next ones turn.

1 Like

:man_dancing:

Click on the timestamp of the post, and you’ll get the link for this position in the thread. Or just copy the url from your browser as it contains the postcount as explained above.

That said, if you just want to link a threat for somebody to be read from the beginning, remove the last part of the url and it will direct to the first post.

1 Like

Or right-click on the topic title in the header:

Or click on the Share button at the bottom of the topic:

I might be blind, but I can’t seem to find how to get back to the entry page for a category. For example, if I’m reading in the General Unicycling Discussions category, how to go back to the list of posts just in that category? I seem to only be able to hit the Categories page, which lists all the categories, or the “Home” page by clicking on the unicycle in the header…

When reading a post of a category, you can click on the category name (upper part of the page) and you’ll be redirected to this category.

1 Like

Yup.

Click here:
Or press the back button of your browser.

1 Like

So yeah, I was blind, but now I can see! That was not hard… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think you are supposed to page dance when your post is a multiple of the number of unicycles you own.

1 Like

Noobs with one unicycle get to page dance on every post. How’s that fair?

You will need to factor in how many other rider participate in the thread and how many unicycles each own… :smiley: :smiley: