Fat Tire Review Thread: Tires > 3"

I pulled the Nate off my Oregon and replaced it with the Lou. I have nothing but good to say. It goes where I want and rolls over more than the Nate. One observation I have is the Lou picks up rocks somehow. Not sure how its doing this because the knobs are far apart. I hear them clinking the frame and a couple hit me in the butt. It must be flicking them rather than sticking in the tread.

I have the same behavior from my Continental Mountain King tire on my 29er. I think, it is the compound that is sticky enough to grab small rocks and throw them.

However, I noticed that the Lou was throwing sand at me as if it was a watermill (maybe the large center tread).

At first, I thought that the Lou was a bigger Nate. But seems like the Lou has a deeper tread than the Nate.

Did you notice any difference regarding the tread or traction between the two tires ?

Mine is on a Marge Lite and I don’t notice any traction difference, but a float increase for sure. I go over soft like never before.

Would the two of you mind to post some pictures of your 4.8 unis, munis or funis?
I’m going 4.8 myself soon…got all the parts but a frame that fits.
I would realy like to see your setups.

digger

Lou on Oregon posted here.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1635294&highlight=oregon+review#post1635294

Here is a pic of my fat uni from the Monster Uni thread and from the Flansberrium frames thread.

So I’ve heard a rumor of a 29x5 coming from Surly…

Because who needs 36ers right?

Hey, I would be so down with it.

I just picked up some On One Floaters 26 x 4" for my fat bike, so far I really like them, they have a fairly aggressive tread like a Nate, less “chevron” in the tread pattern, nearly symmetrical.

They are 72tpi, not so thin as to be a wear or flat problem, but not so thick as to be overly weighty. Mine are new, ordered direct from the UK, cost was $150 for two including shipping.

They weighed 1442gm and 1482gm, folding bead. I’m running tubes now, I will probably go tubeless in time.

I am building another fat muni, I may go with the “Baby Fat 24” using On One’s Vee Rubber designed tire, it’s a Mission treat pattern, I’m think I will probably go with a 50mm rim to save weight, possibly a Surly frame…

I really hope so. That sounds awesome.

Thank you for the pics/links.

Now i’ve got an idea of what it would look and be like if there were any more flansberriums left :frowning:
The Oregon is no option cause of the hub - 125mm i think - 100 would do.

Actually im going with the Nate on a Darryl. And that setup fits very tight into my old Koxx Frame (“trackmonster”…? something like that).
But with a 4.8 tire…never :thinking:

Looks like i have to build me a frame my self.

I know some of you guys ride your fatties all year long… I have no idea how you do it! I just went for a ride on my fatty, pretty much my first time riding it during summer. It felt like shit haha. I was riding a Surly Larry on a Rolling Darryl, the tire just self steers all the time even in trails, it rolls over everything, that was fun… but ewww, I felt like it was going off the trail all the time, that’s not where I want to go! :stuck_out_tongue:

Fatty will be used only for winter riding for me! And I’ll put the Nate back on… Larry isn’t grippy enough haha.

This is how I feel, too. Since I broke the hub on my other freewheel I use for muni I put my Duro Wildfire Leopard (24x3) on my Large Marge wheelset to replace the Vee Rubber Mission (24x4). The fatter tire was great for riding on sandy trails near a river bed but terrible for the hard pack mountain trails I ride. I may put the fatter tire back on when I build a new freewheel muni.

For your viewing pleasure :smiley: 5"!!! :astonished:

Hi Jacob,

I felt totally the same way when I tried to ride an Endomorph on a Large Marge and even the Devist8or wasn’t totally self-steer free.

But suprisingly, riding the Lou on a 82mm rim, even with the pressure at the sweet spot, doesn’t provide a self-steering feeling. Maybe the tread is to thanks for it… :slight_smile:

Long story short: even if I like riding my Funi outside sand/snow/mud, I also like riding smaller and more nimble tires (can’t wait to finally try the 26x3.0 Knard off-road… :wink: ).

Unfortunately, the Knard presented is a 26x5.0. OTOH, they presented also a Dirt Wizard 29x3.0, so interesting video and good news for the 29er addicts (nooooooooooo another nice tireeeee !!! too-many-already, too-many-already, too-many-already…)

But suprisingly, riding the Lou on a 82mm rim, even with the pressure at the sweet spot, doesn’t provide a self-steering feeling. Maybe the tread is to thanks for it…
[/QUOTE]

I have ordered the parts to make this happen…the lou on a rolling daryl. Can’t wait to try it.

At least, you will provide a very interesting feedback and we will be able to see if the tire is self-steering free or if I am just too bossy with my uni :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

And the guy from Surly was exactly how I imagined you’d have to be to work at Surly - Barking mad :smiley: