Evolution of Balance Award

Wow! Great idea Kris! The news has arrived to our italian comMunity, and we’d like to take part to this idea! :slight_smile:
-we have no plans at the moment, but the winter is long…-
Italian Alps… quite far and extreme!
mmmm… let me wonder…
Nicola

ping…

Just want to put this out there again- grant applications are welcome from anyone and the deadline is less than 2 months away…

Kris

Thanks for the boot Kris, so much planning, so little time.

can we consider the appalaichains as a mountain range?

Of course. =)

Cheers,

Kris

Kris - Myself and another Albany, NY guy, (Rolandisimo on these fora) are working on a cool bid to submit for this award.

Just wondering - have there been a lot of submissions already?

I’ve had quite a lot of people expressing interest but actually I’ve not received any formal proposals yet. My guess is that more will come in closer to the deadline.

Kris

february is pretty close, and right now a lot of “remote places” are covered in snow for us northern hemisphereians:) that is my problem anyway.

Thanks, I’m sure you’re right.

Hey All,

Horny Toad Activewear has joined as a sponsor of the Evolution of Balance grant.

The award amount has increased by $200 to CAN$1700, and Horny Toad is also offering a $500 clothing gift certificate.

This is really cool news and I really appreciate that HT would support our sport in this way. They have been a sponsor of mine for four years, and have been a solid supporter of our sport since I first met them in Telluride at a film festival in 2003. They actually support a number of really good causes; see www.hornytoad.com for info on that and details about their clothes.

Kris

KH -

We’re writing up our application, and I have a few questions.

Roland Kays (Rolandisimo) and I (Steve Relles) are definitely in, but there are 2 or 3 maybes. Can some of the participants change after the deadline?

Part of our path is not yet defined, and still may not be at the time of the deadline. Is it OK if our written plan is that we “wing it” on maybe 20% of the route?

I’m also curious about wing it possibilities, as I’m going to be going to places that I can’t find alot of information about, and it did say that if you don’t complete the requirements then you have to refund the money or something like that, which seems quite fair.

Wing it possibilities are great. Changing participants is fine too- those things happen. Just describe what you have in mind and who might be involved. More info the better.

Cheers,

Kris

Which kind of presentation do you prefer? A movie, a slideshow of pictures? Pictures? Pictures and text?
Are we free to choose the method?
Restriction about lenght of the movie?
:slight_smile:
Nicola

Actually, the best is if you simply add pictures into the Word application, pdf it and send me the pdf. That way all the applications are similar format, which is helpful.

I also had some people ask about costs on trips (ie how expensive the proposed trip is), and whether that is a factor.

The answer is not really, except that the idea is not to fund a free trip for everyone involved, but to help offset costs for a group to go on a bigger adventure. So if the entire trip cost as much or less than $1700 for everyone involved, that wouldn’t really accomplish that.

Cheers,

Kris

How do I attach google earth bookmarks to a word document?

Hmm. Good question =).

When you email me your Word application, just include it as a separate attachment.

Cheers,

Kris

Unfortunatly its too late to edit, I’m finding questions 2 and 5 to be really similar to question 1.

For question two do you want us to just restate and summarize the basic goals of our adventure?

For question five do you want us to leave this information out of question one and only state it in our response to question five?

I think thats it, you should have my application by the end of the week if everything goes well.

Hey,

The questions are just so I can get a better sense of the trip. Essentially the Q’s are:

1. What’s the trip
  2. Why is it significant/important
  3. Who’s going
  4. Just a quick check that the trip is realistic for the experience/skills of the group
  5. Have you planned down the trip beyond just a conceptual level- ie. am just looking for something that indicates that the trip is a real plan not just a dream.

Hope that helps. Am looking forward to reading it!

Cheers,

Kris