Evolution of Balance Award

I have too, do what Joe said, we had a full tent, stove et.c and it was just too much weight even between three of us.

Any unicyclist / rock climbers out there interested in a technical climb + unicycle descent? This has been a dream of mine for years…

It’d be a one day climb - I don’t have the gear to bivy on the wall - but we could bivy at the summit then ride down the next day. Or, if you’ve the gear, I have the patience. I haven’t done any big walls yet but have some practice aiding and cleaning.

The only snag would be to make sure our chosen venue allows cycling. Many Nat’l Parks / Forests do not.

Any takers?

Wow, that sounds awesome and I’d love to join you. I have some experience rock climbing and tons of unicycling experience! And would be willing to train for it. Please keep me in mind and on your list!

Thank you Kris for doing something like this. It’s such a great idea and an awesome way to support unicyclist!

As did I, and yeah, I really shouldn’t have brought my light weight stove and any tent you bring will be heavier than you need. Joe is right on about using a bivvy. I guess if you have 2 or more people it might be worth sharing the weight of the tent. I recently got a nice waterproof backpack that places the weight flat against my back that I use for commuting and will be using for the next multi day trip I take.

me!

For what it’s worth, any route at Squamish on the Stawamus Chief would work as a climb/descent, and the descent is legal. But the ride down the Backside Trail is really hard on a uni. Actually it’s one of the best and technically hardest trails I’ve been on. Another climb/descent that would be good except that the descent is illegal would be the classic NE face of Chinaman’s Peak (AKA Ha Ling Peak) in Banff National Park. I haven’t done that one but I looked into it a few years ago. I don’t think it would be cool to poach it though.

Kris

Thanks for the tip…

…looks like I’ll have to learn how to ride down a ladder while wearing an enormously heavy backpack.

That being said, I’ve always wanted to climb at Squamish… not remote by any means, but still an adventure!

Age?

I was some what confused reading the application, do you have to be 18 to participate on the ride or would i just have to be 18 to apply for the grant? For example could i (I’m 14) go with my brother (he’s 19) on his trip if he were to win?

thanks, Jim.

You should be over 18 to apply.

However, a rider under 18 could still be part of the team, as long as the release form was signed by a parent or guardian.

Kris

yay i’m so pumped hmm now all i have to do is convince my brother to let me go and beat out everyone else who applies, oh well that should be easy. :roll_eyes:

I think this could be great for the sport, esp. if the riders go through a village where they’ve never even heard of unis or where they are rare, like your trip to Butan.

Maybee have an angle where people who never thought it would be possible to learn to uni (even here in the US). I broke my back 8.5 years ago, now the only thing that works well below my waist is my thighs, and need these to walk.

Two years ago I got interested in unicycling when I saw one of the vids of Kris on youtube and was amazed, but didn’t believe it was possible to do at all for me. Six months later I took the plunge and got a 24" DX. (Monday I hiked up and rode down 3.3 miles of highly tecknical, for me, trails w/ 40ish UPD’s :o)

so this only applies to muni :frowning:
if only there were some trails to hit around here…

what is the minimum number of people required to make up a “team”?

There’s no restriction on the number of team members.

K.

The whole idea is to go travel to a unique place and muni.

Sweet! Who wants to join me for a ride on the Moon?! :wink:

Hey Kris,
What would be the case if I am 17 now, but will be 18 at the time of the expedition, would I be eligible?

Thanks,
Seamus

Excellent idea Kris! Sounds like I need to do some brainstorming…

shh
too late!
(someone insert picture of forrest on the moon here)
as far as travelling to muni… no chance… :frowning:

I think the whole point is to travel. why would you get a grant to go ride your local trails?