Drilling KH Moment Cranks?

Another set of drilled alloy cranks using 3/4" stepped bit to enlarge the original 1/2" holes. They’re a little off-center but that’s ok. 170mm and they weigh about 380g total. These were used for only the steepest grades on my 700c climber. Now I just use 150’s.

cranks.jpg

The weight of the whole system is not the only thing that’s at play. At lighter uni makes a huge difference. When I drilled my moments, I could totally tell.

Cranks can be a work of art! These are my just-drilled moment 110/125’s. And what a MESS it makes with alum. shavings everywhere! :astonished:
(Effect by cartoonize.net)

aae.jpg

how much do they weigh?

The original weight per pair is 458g. I haven’t weighed them yet, but they’re noticeably lighter…and also look cool! I’m in talks with M41 to make some custom lightweight, three-hole cranks for me. :slight_smile:

I just weighted them! The pair is 106g ligther than it used to be (498g VS 604g)! I dont know how strong they are now, but it doesn’t really matter since I used them mostly for XC on my Geared muni.

Bump. Does anyone know where one can have their Moments drilled? I have no access to my own drill or any machinery for that matter. I would pay someone to do it, but I have no clue where to even go. Home depot? A bike shop?

Any suggestions?

crank drilling

try and find a small engineering company near your you ,preferably a company with a vertical milling machine shown in picture , they might need to make a jig to hold the cranks while they machine them

another option is a company with a wire eroder or wire edm then you could have any shape you want in them oval etc also very accurate into microns

Im an engineer and at work we happily do small jobs for people who knock the door and ask for a quote
good idea is to do a drawing of exactly what you want and how accurate you want them to be

id be happy to help you if you cant find anyone near your you would just have to post to england uk

Bridgeport.JPG

you want a machine shop; bronson silva, of silva cycles, has a setup to do it. I think I forwarded his info to you before.
-corbin

Oh great! Thanks! I’ll contact him next time I’m in California!

Thanks for the info and the offer to help! The shipping would be a bit too high for me though. :slight_smile:

No problem brb

Drilling Kris Holm moment hubs,

Has any one done a stress test in cad ,solidworks, catia ,autocad, creo etc ?

I might lighten my cranks on my muni but im going to draw it in solidworks and stress test it and check its mass before and after first .

A $63 solution: http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-drill-press/8-in-bench-mount-drill-press-5-speed-60238.html

Do you think I should get moments so I can drill them or just get spirits, because I feel like moments look cooler

Depends on what you want to use them for.

Non drilled spirits are likely to be stronger than equal weight drilled moments. If weight is such a consideration impact or mad4one also provide lightweight but high strength cranks.

Moments are built to be indestructible, spirits are designed to take everything but the most extreme riding with a significant weight advantage.

The other advantage for using moments aside from strength is for street where crank based tricks are used. The top of the cranks is wider and does not curve like on spirits giving a nicer surface to stand on.

If moments in the size you want are available, i would get them before they are gone but i would not necessarily use them for the same applications as i would use spirits.

Also note, moments are fitted onto the axle using a 6mm spacer, other cranks use 8mm. It would be incredibly bad for your hub and cranks to get this mixed up.

Thanks! They’re for my Triple Triton and Surly Knard set-up. I have 150/125 Mad4One cranks but the Q factor (or lack of?) caused them to rub up against my frame so hard that they peeled the logo off. So I bought some used 150 Moments from the trading post and I intend to muni with them. I’ve never seen Moments in real life, so I don’t know how heavy they actually are, but if they’re noticeably heavier while riding, then I’d like to drill them for weight-savings purposes. If I can’t tell the difference, then I’ll keep them as is.

So, what would I need to have/do if I was trying to apply moments to my nimbus hub?

EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST…

KH moment cranks take an 8mm spacer, others take a 6mm and not the other way around. my apologies for the mistake.

Your local UDC will stock replacement spacers.To fit them, just remove the ones on your uni when you take the old cranks off and slip the new ones on. As for weight, moments are big chunky things - my 125 moments weigh in at 500g for the pair whereas an equivalent pair of spirits weighs around 400g.

Just thinking about drilled Spirits…

My crazy milled 150 dual-hole Moments were 444g, losing 141g from the original 585g, according to my scale.
My 150 dual-hole Spirits are 431g.
So stock Spirits are lighter than any reasonably drilled Moments.

The milled Moments saved about 25% weight, but obviously they were much too weakened.
I probably should have left material like agentQ did. Note his 35%-40% weight savings claim conflicts with the 25% I figure on my more aggressively milled cranks. Not sure what’s up with that.
Anyway, in hindsight I probably wouldn’t remove more than half of what I did, or about 12%.
For Spirits, 12% would save about 52g.

Again, just thinking.

I’ve been running moments on a nimbus hub on all my unis for several years with zero problems. Not sure what size spacers I have, but it’s just what they came with, they all came with venture cranks. I commonly switch from one set to another and haven’t noticed any problems.