Drilling KH Moment Cranks?

Cheers Corbin! Yeah Sam I love yours! what length are your cranks and what diametre holes?

A Drill Press will do the trick right? just take them to metal work…

be careful to keep the right angle and best you use a center punch,

the koxx are also mine

Saves some weight in an important place. Just did it on the 29er, 19 and 14 are still undrilled…

You went all the way through (I think? Pic isn’t too clear) - haven’t seen that before! How much do they weigh now?

Sam

I would think doing a bar like that would be bad for the impact disciplines like street and trials though?

Theres only one way to find out…

My logic:

I snapped my Schlumph axle last year so I would love it if these cranks broke first!

A mechanical engineer i know did the drilling and they seemed to think that it should be fine.
Diden’t get a weight, but its definitely noticeable.

Ive never seen bent Moments…I always bend pedal axles first…Maybe they are stronger than you think?

here are a few more pics

It’s very interesting. I know that if I had it done to my cranks though, I would leave at least one cross piece in the middle. But I am no structural engineer :wink:

The more I think about it the more I think that those cranks would be OK, as long as don’t risk denting the bottom part with crank grabs.

Oh an by the way, sweet Guni (29?)

the moments are really strong, after three years of hard riding the steal insert broke out of the drilled crank, I think t was material fatigue.

I cut them down to 125mm and ride them again :roll_eyes:

• I hope a long time more!

I use my moments as hammers sometimes… :smiley:

overall they are the strongest unicycle cranks on the market. i have heard of people bending Chromo hubs and the KH cranks be just fine. Only downside to the KH moments is that they are kinda heavy since they are over built. I know that the newer models of Moments are lighter than when they first came out but still on the heavy side.

you won’t see the moment cranks bend, unless you softened the aluminum in some way. Instead, they will break. Steel tends to bend; which is why hubs bend before the cranks snap.

corbin

Has anyone ever broken moments?

nope, youll bend the hub before you bend the moments

Not entirely true. I believe in this video you can see someone breaking moments at 3:20. It is hard to tell but I don’t know of too many shiny Al cranks that someone would even consider doing this on.

<iframe src=“EUC 2010 winter edition on Vimeo” width=“400” height=“225” frameborder=“0”></iframe><p><a href=“EUC 2010 winter edition on Vimeo”>EUC 2010 winter edition</a> from <a href=“sinco”>sinco</a> on <a href=“http://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>.</p>

here’s the url if the embed doesn’t work.

that was the pallet that broke. If you look at the pallet before he jumped it wasnt broke then when you look at it after he landed you can see where he broke part of the pallet at.

I have talked to Mike Parenteau and he said that him and his friends have both bent chromo hubs and have broken cranks and destroyed unicycles. I asked him about the KH moments and he said that he has never heard or seen broken or bent moments.

There may still be some gnarly rider out there that has bent them but since they came out in 2007 i have never heard of any bent or broken moments… haha just broken bones :wink:

So basically if you broke your moments, then you probably broke something else that is much more important than uni components?

I have tried to break and bend cranks… not moments. Hahaha lets just say my ankles gave out before the cranks did. Thats not the only thing that gave out to :wink: :smiley:

Dang!

Does anybody have some experience riding (big) street and trial with drilled moments? I’m thinking to drill my 125mm and maybe make some 110mm of my 150mm and drill them too, but I dont know if drilled moments are strong enough for trials riding… :slight_smile: And what hole size will you recomend?