Do KH team members use the titanium hub?

Some do. Others don’t.

are there any down-sides to it (besides price)?

is it really a lifetime-long product or won’t it break down slowly?

I know UTV riders use the titanium hub :wink: :slight_smile:

How many KH riders use the titanium hub? Spencer, and who else?

-Isaac

Spencer and ummm… Oh! Spencer!

For most people you could probably add price and price. :smiley:

I’m not an expert on Ti, so I don’t know if it’s suject to the same types of fatigue you get with steel, only over longer periods of time. My assumption is that it can withstand the same types of abuse for a longer amount of time, while being quite a bit lighter the whole time.

For bike/unicycle loads, it’s probably reasonable to assume that titanium is being stressed at a level below its fatigue limit, and thus will not suffer metal fatigue under normal loads and assuming proper manufacturing. The main issue with Ti is that it’s hard to work with, and it’s possible to mess it up when machining or welding it so that it’s more likely to fatigue and/or fail. This is probably more likely to be an issue when using off-shore manufacturing, as KH does. Still, I wouldn’t expect it to be a common issue–and the non-TI KH hubs have a disturbing tendency to deform the hub flanges under normal loads, which almost certainly won’t happen to the TI hub.

A good article on Ti.

How much weight difference are we talking about here?

it’s a fair bit in terms of actual weight, but not in terms of usefullness.

How many gram is a “fair bit”? Why bother posting if you don’t have the numbers?

I did found this postthat listed the weights of various hubs.

Your savings is 182g, a reduction of about 28% over the CrMo Moment hub. Being that this weight is removed from the center of the wheel, you won’t notice much difference in your ride.

If you’re a cutting-edge rider that’s probably true. For beginner and more casual riders, maybe not.

True. In Trials, rotational weight is probably almost irrelevant. Overall weight is what counts.

I actually paid Maestro to do Trials in a show with me once because he’s much better at it than me. You would probably know this about him if you read these forums more…

But at the same time, trials is one of the styles where weight matters the least. Your aren’t spinning the unicycle in any weigh, just lifting it up, which is a whole lot easier. More weight does mean heavier and harder to took, but tucking is pretty easy as it is and doesn’t involve much strength at all, only technique and confidence.

You guys are also forgetting the all important bling factor of Ti. Probably the number one reason anyone makes the switch.

And it’s about KH Ti hubs, which others may be interested in. Long as we’re talking about such things it’s a good idea to keep everyone in mind. By cutting edge, I really meant at the cutting edge of one’s own abilities. When you’re pushing your limits you’re much more aware of the finer details, and it’s easier to tell small weight differences.

Such is the stigma of being a Ride The Lobster team support person. :slight_smile:

I’ve got to disagree there. Not to say that weight isn’t important to technical MUni, road and other riders, but nobody lifts up their unicycle as much as Trials riders. Whereas a road rider mostly has to worry about rotating weight, the Trials rider is constantly moving all the weight around. Some other unicycling disciplines do this also, but none as much as Trials.

hey john, next time you know of any paid trials let me know!!! you know im not too far away from you!

so… ti hubs… They are pretty cool!

Weight does actually make alot of difference.The more weight you can get rid of on your uni the more it will feel like youre just jumping how you would without a unicycle.I cant hop nearly as high on my qu-ax heavy duty

I think that street and flat are probably the two disciplines that are most affected by weight.

Though I have noticed a difference even in trials when I tried to ride a DX a week or two ago :p. I’m not entirely sure 1/3 of a pound would matter that much, but a pound or more could probably make quite a difference. It also depends how seriously you take it.

I’m not much of a trials rider anyways.

In comparison to a 10 lb. unicycle, 1/3 lb is only a 3% difference. I bet you could take a “Pepsi challenge” and not identify which unicycle is 3% heavier than the other.

Now you’re comparing apples and oranges. Saying a 10-20% weight reduction is noticable is no way to argue a 3% weight reduction is noticable.

Trials is not about having the best equipment. Trials is about having the best technique. A good trials rider can hop onto any unicycle you give him and complete the same lines. If a 15% weight difference is giving you trouble, your technique needs work.

…says he who gives 36er mounting advice without even owning a 36er himself. :stuck_out_tongue:

1/3 of a pound is a lot when its just one part. if you could drop 1/3 pound off of each major part on a uni you could decrease the over all weight by a couple lbs which would be verry noticable.

Nuff said.