Definition of a Rolling mount

Done!

You make it look easy Terry. Great speed especially on the last one.

My english is somewhat limited so I may have misunderstood. What I think pierrox is refering to, is the mount that Superbant is describing but done on a 36 instead of a smaller uni. Suberbant says: “I put my foot on the pedal when it is about 30 degrees forward of vertical, as though in the middle of a down stroke”. Does this means that he puts his foot on the FRONT pedal FIRST?

Sounds like it, which would likely end up pushing the uni away from you, unless your second foot caught the [quickly] upcoming back pedal before it passed. But as you can see, I think as long as you do everything quickly, in one fluid motion, you can keep the wheel rolling using the normal back facing pedal mount.

Yes, I put my foot on the front pedal first. It’s fast and scary, but when you do it, it’s smooth. I could post up a video if you wanted.

Yes please. Thanks.

Ok, you might have to wait till tomorrow afternoon, depending on when I get time.

Thanks Terry for the new video, pretty smooth!

But…

Exactly what I thought when I first read that - though english is not my first language either… and yes I’d love to see a vid of that!

I have the video, but I can’t figure out how to post it…

You must to upload it somewhere like Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook or Dropbox. Make sure the video is public and post the link here.

If you don’t know how to do that, you can send it to me via wetransfer.com (I will send you my email via MP if you need) and I’m happy to put it on my Youtube account.
Can’t wait to see that mount!

Yeah, can you PM me?

So, 11 years later and zero progress on the Rolling Mount Variations Project. :stuck_out_tongue:

We have the official definition of a Rolling Mount, and if anything, this thread reinforces to me the idea that if we call it a Rolling Mount, the wheel should never stop. So then it’s all about do we care whether there’s a name for the variation where the wheel does stop, but your body continues the forward motion? I think yes, as it’s a good intermediate step in learning the Rolling Mount, and also probably the most efficient way to mount unicycles with large wheels. That’s how I get on my Road uni nearly 100% of the time.

I like Momentum Mount, though another name I just thought of could be Catch-Up Mount. You are rolling the uni in front of you. Then it stops, you catch up, and the forward motion continues, uninterrupted. It’s not such a literal name, but it’s a fun name that people are more likely to remember. So that’s one vote for Catch-Up!

Good stuff. Probably also doable on a 36", but definitely learnable on smaller wheels. I remember doing it way back in the day, to the point of proving the concept that the wheel doesn’t have to stop, and that, once you get used to things, you can land at any pedal position and just continue pedaling from there. It’s like you’re joining the unicycle in flight. Your body catches up, and your feet synchronize with the pedals as they are approaching each other. You settle onto the seat and just keep the pedals moving as they were.

He sent me a clip, but it’s on a 20", not a 36er. Doing the forward pedal mount on a 36er, your mounting foot would have to be mostly locked straight out in order to reach the forward facing pedal, making it all the more problematic on a 36er. And this is with the saddle lower than usual. The reason it’s locked is because I am not yet sitting on the saddle and there is space between it and me while jumping up. My main point is that you can do a non-stop rolling mount on a 36er (as in the clip I posted earlier) when mounting to the back-facing pedal. The key is to do it in one fast, fluid motion, while not putting enough weight on the back pedal to [momentarily] stop the wheel. :slight_smile:

36MNTs.jpg

So if I wear my shoes with 10" thick soles, I should be able to mount the 36er like the 20"…
Have to try that tomorrow. Will be an interesting ride no doubt :smiley:

‘I like Momentum Mount, though another name I just thought of could be Catch-Up Mount. You are rolling the uni in front of you. Then it stops, you catch up, and the forward motion continues, uninterrupted. It’s not such a literal name, but it’s a fun name that people are more likely to remember. So that’s one vote for Catch-Up!’

The name has been confusing me. As a result of this thread I realized that I had learned( not mastered) the rolling mount when I thought I hadn’t. So thats another vote for catch-up mount

As you can see I haven’t figured how to do partial quotes yet

No, because wearing 10" thick soles means having to jump 10" higher to get your foot on top of the pedal. :roll_eyes:

Momentum mount is not self explanatory. I agree that in a rolling mount, the wheel should not stop, but it’s fine by me that it stops a little. At the end of the day, the movement is initiated by rolling the wheel and then mounting. My 6 years old nephew understood that concept without having to enter any explanation.

Or maybe we should call it the walking mount, since hey, we’re walking behind the uni.

I prefer “non-stop rolling mount” since it describes exactly what it is. “Continuous rolling mount” works as well.

Here it is!