Decisions, decisions...

Hey guys, been a member for a very long time. Taken a bit of a hiatus from riding and now fancy getting something a bit bigger.

My question is should i get a 36" or 29" it’s only really for nice, lengthy bike rides but i also kinda like the idea of light off-roading.

Just wanted some insight from more experienced riders. :roll_eyes:

P.S. does it take a while to get used to riding bigger wheels from my KOXX 20"?

Below are my main choices. Any help would be fantastic.:slight_smile:

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/muni-24-29/29-qx-series-disc-muni-unicycle-black.html

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/road-24-36/36-qx-series-disc-muni-unicycle-white.html

Or any Uni’s you’d recommend? :thinking:

I really don’t think there is a wrong answer here. I guess it depends on what you mean be “light off-roading.” The 36" will limit you quite a bit off road, at least it does for me. However, that being said, there are plenty of 36" uni riders that off-road with their 36"…I’m just not one of them. You could easily setup a 36er to do both. My guess would be that the 29" would be a bit easier/enjoyable to ride off-road.

What sort of paths and tracks do you intend to ride on and is there any distance and speed you want to do.

The 29er would be much easer to get used to than the 36 but the 36 might suit long quiet countryside rides more. It is possible to go straight to a 36 from a 20 in a couple of days of hard practice in a car park (you need that much space).

The 36er has a TA tyre which is a smooth tyre. This makes it perfect for riding on roads but makes the uni next to useless on anything slippery. If by off road you mean fire road and dry hard worn paths, it should do fine. A 36er requires a different rider mindset due to the inertia of the wheel. Things don’t happen instantly (apart from UPDs). If you can commit the time to learn and have miles upon miles of gently undulating quiet roads and tracks available a 36er would probably be perfect.

The 29er you are looking at is a pure muni. If you are planning on riding dirt trails in all weather with some pretty serious hills this uni is for you. If you want a 29er for road riding, a smoother tyre like a big apple might work better but suffers (even worse) from the same problems as the TA. 145mm cranks are also quite long for anything that doesn’t involve big hills or muni but long cranks should facilitate the transition to a big wheel.

If you are planning to do urban riding, forget the 36er. Until you have had a lot of practice you will be too cumbersome to be at all safe in a busy environment. Even with a 29er, riding on busy roads is hard work.

Also how important is the disc brake and aluminium frame.

Thank you for the help, i’m thinking more towards the 29" because it seems more fit for purpose, i’ll have a look at more 36" 's. What’s long distance riding like on a 29"?

Thank you for the details!!! :smiley:

The paths i’m mostly looking to ride on are road and worn in footpaths, The distance i went today was 6 miles. And it made me want to get a unicycle and start riding again, i have done 3 off road miles on my 20" before but now i want to think about longer more adventurous (not fast) rides. the 36" may be something i look for in the future but for now, i’m 99% certain i should get the 29"

I’ve personally ridden about 35 miles on a 29er in one sitting, it was slow and painful enough that I don’t want to do it again for a long time (Though that was before I really got confident on-road, and I am horrendously unfit). That being said, I ride about 10 miles daily on it, so I guess it depends how long ‘long distance’ is :smiley:

Just chipping in my 2, I love my 29er, but there are times when I’ve wanted something faster. You could always take my plan - Get a 29er, grow to love it, buy a 36er next year :smiley:

Awesome insight. i’m now 100% sure i’m going for the Qu-Ax 29" Muni, it seems pretty perfect for me :slight_smile:

Thanks Guys! I’ll be placing the order in a couple of days and will post pictures our first date together. :smiley: Excited now!

Such a great community we have on this site!

Distance on 29

As far as distances on a 29er goes, 10-15 miles is a good long ride for me. I feel pretty good after doing that. My longest was 22 miles and it really kicked my butt. Even going out for a 3 or 5 mile ride is fun though. I spent several years riding the 29er, and loved it most of the time. I just bought a 36.

IMHO, a 36" is REALLY REEEEEELY fun for light offroading. There’s nothing like going fast on “friendly” dirt.

Yes, it takes time to get used to it after a 20". You’ll love the change, and you’ll love the challenge. I’d say get the 36" first. Later on, you can add a 29" if you think there’s a hole in your arsenal. :slight_smile:

OK, keep in mind that John has been riding since cat was a kitty… :D, so he has the advantage of a long view.

I’ve been off-road on my Coker exactly once, and don’t have a real burning desire to do it again any time soon. Some guys love it, but that’s what makes horse racing. I’ll stick to road riding on the big wheel for the time being. (To me, the difference between a 29" and a 36" is practically like night and day.) From your description, what you’ve chosen sounds like a good one to me.

If you’re 99% set on the 29", which I’m discovering is a pretty good uni, you should call UDC…UK and get a quote for a crank swap: get the 125/150mm right away, that will give you a unicycle that can cover a pretty good range of different rides.

Go big or go home. You won’t regret it!

+1 if you plan on riding it on the road or smooth footpaths. There really is nothing like the 36er. So glad I opted for the wide rim on my 29er because, with the Hans Dampf spread out, it is an awesome Muni machine. I despise riding anything smaller than a 36er on the road. Your results may vary.

Get the 29", and save the best (36") for later. That way you’ll be happy twice. :slight_smile:

29s are quite popular, but it never suited me. For me too big for harder muni, esp. uphill. I like the 24 or 26 for that. And too small for riding much more than a few miles on easy dirt or road.

If I were you, I’d go for a nice light 36, like an Oracle or KH. Then get 127/150 dual hole cranks.

If you are an experienced unicyclist (even if you haven’t really ridden a 36 before) it won’t be much of a problem. As long as you are not going up rooty, rocky trails you should be fine offroad, esp with the 150 setting. These light 36ers allow you to do some pretty surprising things once you get used to them.

On the road, I wouldn’t trade my 36 for anything else if I were riding more than a few miles.

I was in the same boat as you. I first got the 29, which I sold a year after getting it. I got the 36 and am happier. I have my 24 for muni, and my 19s for tricks and for messing around at playgrounds etc.

Don’t over think it, either way you’ll probably end up with both sizes. :smiley:

I bought a 36er with the largest wheel that I’d ridden up to that point a 24" and it’s great, I don’t regret not owning a 29" first but now I want a 29". :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget that everyone is different so you probably won’t have the exact same experience as any one person here.

yeah, you can’t go wrong with a 29, but wheel size choice has a lot to do with other considerations too, including budget, space, how many other unicycles you have.

If you have unlimited space and budget, why not have every size? Or even more than one in each size.

You can’t go wrong with a 29. You’ll probably be more comfortable on it to start than a 36 (though oddly enough I had way more UPDs on my 29 with the 127 hole than the 36 with the same size).

The 29 is very versatile. You can use it to ride distances (though not as comfortably as a 36) and you can use it for a lot of muni and cross country.

If you think you will stay with unicycling and get more sizes, then go ahead and get the 29. If you think you want to do harder muni and longer road-riding and limit the amount of unis you have, you may want to forgo the 29 and get the 36 for now, and later get a 26.