day in the city video

yeah the music thing was to do with copyright. no i don’t plan to put it on the market.

if thats the case then i don’t really have the equipment to film the video at high eneough quality. to giev you an impression of the quality 4mins would probably be about 64mb. so i guess im out of the running really:(

oh well, good luck to the reat of u guys.

iain

ok i think i might be out of the running on editing it i don’t have access to all this stuff that everone else seems to think i need:( if i do make the video i am not that bothered about quality as long as it is watch able:D,universe is not that good qualtiy and that is the most sold uni video me thinks!!!:stuck_out_tongue:
Ben

I could easily do the editing, my friend has a camera and a firewire card so all would be taken care of, but I’m there are others out there who have the same equipment, any takers???

Guys, you can totally do this, the important thing is not that the video is super amazing quality, but that you get the best out of what you’ve recorded and don’t lose any quality. If you’ve got something that can record video that looks okay on your computer, it’s probably up to the job.

What that means in practice is either getting it onto a computer as soon as possible and editing it at high quality, or editing it on an analog video editing system if you can’t get it onto a computer. It’s best if you don’t do lots of stuff with VHS tapes copying from one machine to another, because that drops the quality, but if you have to do it then do.

The person who compiles all the videos is the only person who has to have the decent equipment, to get it all together onto a DVD, they need a DVD writer and some kind of TV input for any analog video tapes and possibly something that reads Mini-DV tapes if people are going to send those in.

So I’ve you’ve got an analog camcorder and a Video recording card, then record to the computer and do the editing on there. You can get hold of basic editing software for cheap (or nothing if you pirate it). VirtualDub does very basic cutting clips together without transitions and is free.

If you’ve got a digital camcorder that records to memory cards or something, the important thing to do with that is to get it onto a computer and convert it to a less compressed or uncompressed format before doing any editing. If you edit using highly compressed files, you lose lots of quality every time you save it.

Ian - I guess you’ve got something like this <http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=DV4VAR&category=elec> which would be fine for this kind of video, as long as you convert to high quality video on your computer before editing it.

Joe

I am still up for making a section in the video with phil and you can put me down for a copy 4mins is not much me and phil made a 4 min video in a day!
As for the real day in the city it was a challenge as well the riders had to make the video in 2 day’s and visit 2 city’s and it had to be edited in 7 days!!! no old footage was used,just so you know.
Ben

hey joe, you seem to be pretty well up on your computing, have you got game? Are you gonna send one of your vids in for this???

a very good guess, i’ve actually got this one. it’s almost exactly the same spec as the dv4000 but mine doesn’t pre-compress the video to mpeg4, my files are .avi so i don’t know if i can set the quality of my videos high before i edit them?

i has a few video modes, the two best are 640 x 480 at 8-12fps and 320 x 240 at 10/20fps. i’ve always filmed on the lower resolution setting becasue it has has a higher framerate( on the high resolution you can see the video jerking a bit). do u rekon i should film on the high(to fill the tv screen better) or the low( to get a slinky smooth video)?

iain

iain

one final question:

to clarify, can we use music that is copyrighted, slightly copyrigthed (i.e. bands who aren’t very signed), or do we have to use local bands in our edit?

as soon as i know this, i can either choose some music, or start hastleing my bro for some.

iain

I would say use local music but then again i am not editing any more so it’s not my call.

So where do I send my footage to??