day in the city video

After reading this thread I became a little confused… the people in UNiVERsE 2 are everyday unicyclists too.

-Dylan

Dylan, you are an animal! I dont know if you count as everyday. :wink:

i am going to have a look at the video and see how long the segments are ect.

one rule in the following of the skate video, when you make the video you have to show who you are with a picture from a photo booth, but make it interesting.

this is a great idea, its a chance for all unicyclists to work towards something big and to channel their unicycling into one thing. I knw I will be filming my piece as soon as I get conformation from you guys that it really will be going forward

same, i can’t wait to try and edit up a segment, i’ve done some little movies before but i’ll really put some effort into this one:D

iain

Im not to keen on editing it but id do some riding in it :slight_smile:

Trev

D’you think we should all edit our own bits then send it in, or just send in our footage, personally I think editing our own stuff would be better, but what do you guys think

yeah, definetely all editing our own little sections. that way there is lots of variety and it wont ever get boring cus new riders and a new editing style/music will be introduced every few minutes.

iain

one more thing;) we’ll get to see the riders introduce themselves, which will be interesting.

Guys, this is going to be great!

My questions though:

1. How should we compress the video?
  2. How shall we send it to you? (we talked about VHS on MSN)
  3. What is the best editing suit to use? I am using Arcsoft VideoImpression 1.7. It is ok, but nothing fancy. Also, it sometimes screws up the video, and only saves every 5th frame!

I have loads of clips from last year on Cd’s, but will have to get some more up to date ones! Any excuse for some mad riding :stuck_out_tongue:

Joe,

1. i think we should all compress the videos so they are the best quality possible, then on the final edit there wont be much loss in quality. i dont know the particulars of this tho cus i dont know alot about it :roll_eyes:

2)i rekon, seeing as we all live in the uk, we should just post it on cd when we’ve made the final edit of our section(if that’s what we’re doin). i dont know what people without cd writers will do tho???

3)i’ve used adobe premiere, which seems pretty good, i think its what trev used to edit the uniroque 2 vid together. i don’t know how good it is compared to other packages though.

iain

My questions though:

1. How should we compress the video?

If you have a digital camcorder and a firewire. put it back onto a dvs

1. How shall we send it to you? (we talked about VHS on MSN)
    Its up to the person whos doing it.

2. What is the best editing suit to use? I am using Arcsoft VideoImpression 1.7. It is ok, but nothing fancy. Also, it sometimes screws up the video, and only saves every 5th frame!

I prefer Adobe Premier just because its simple to use. I can send it to you if you need it Joe :wink:

Trev

Yes i did use premier for editing the unirogue 2, Unirogue 3 shall be comensing hopefully at buc :slight_smile:

Actually, come to think of it this movie I’m making will have elements of what you’re talking about. I’ve just emailed some friends around the country asking them if they have anything to add. Hopefully enough people will be interested in adding stuff. I don’t want it to be all me! :slight_smile:

Andrew

ok well we’ve got it sorted guys, who are we all gonna send this to, what about thinuniking, seein as it was dat dude’s idea

yep i will do it i am sure i have access to vhs editing stuff but i am waiting for an email.i have a really long summer as i have study leave i am going to revise but i need something else to do that is consturctive or i will go totally mad!!!:stuck_out_tongue:
your section must be 4mins with an intro with rider cameraman and an outro with song,band ect, or 6 mins for pairs,pre edited with music of a good quality but the most important thing about the music it must be a song writen and performed by a local band to the rider/cameraman i am sure they would let you us there music for free!!!
i only have the use of vhs edit stuff i think as i said i am waiting for an email.
i have an idea if you want to send via the net.
Ben

is this because of copyright issues? i don’t see the problem, we aren’t out to make a profit and the video is going to go arround between us not be marketed right. i won’t really be able to find any music to use if that’s the case:( apart from my brothers band but i don’t really wan’t to use that.

iain

I do quite a bit of digital video editing (for fun, well I’ve got the gear why not use it) and I was thinking of doing a uni DVD. I’ve just put all the uni video clips I’ve collected from the internet onto the DVD I did of Daredevils as ‘Extras’ all 3 hours 11 minutes and 2 seconds worth. If you have posted a video to the net it’s quite possible it’s on there.

The main problem is quality. If you’re going to get something decent the best bet is to use the original source, preferable some form of DV or failing that a Y/V source.

About the music my sons mate (a unicyclist) is a drummer and bass player in a band, I’ll get onto him. This could be a nice project.

Cheers, Gary

I’d rather add my own music, I dnt think a stranger could really chose the best music for my riding, No Offence Buddy

wouldn’t u rahter have someone watch your riding and write music to go with it?
have the video playing in the jam-room and see what comes out.
could add a whole different dimension to the production

my 2cents

Unicus is totally right that it should be done using good quality video at all editing stages.

I’ve done a bit of DV work recently and there are two easy ways to do this and get it to the person compiling it in good quality. The big no-nos are sending analog (VHS) tapes or compressing it down loads to send in emails.

either,

1. Film on mini-DV tape
  2. Transfer to computer using firewire
  3. Edit in Premiere/Final Cut, don’t compress at all
  4. Transfer back to mini-DV using firewire
  5. Send mini-DV tape to the person producing it. This relies on the producer having a way to get mini-DV to computer.

or

1. Film on whatever you want
  2. Get it onto a computer at the highest quality you can get
  3. Edit it in Premiere/Final Cut
  4. Compress the clip so that it is 600MBs in size.
  5. Burn it on CD and send the CD to the person compiling it.

A 600MB clip is okay for 3 minutes to dvd, although keeping it uncompressed on mini-dv is the best.

If you don’t have a CD writer, but you do have a good internet connection, then you can use MSN Messenger or any P2P program to send a 600MB clip, it takes a long time, but it works okay.

If you’ve only got an analog camcorder and no way to get it to computer, then the best thing to do to avoid massive quality loss is just tape some footage and send it to the person compiling for them to edit up in digital.

The skateboarders have a big advantage over us because they’ll have had hundreds of videos to choose from and will only have picked the well edited ones. The big disadvantage here is going to be that most people are rubbish at editing videos, especially when they’re videos with them in. That’s why Universe2 is so much better than almost all internet videos. Some of the internet videos have almost as good riding, but I can only think of one where the editing is anywhere near as well done as the universe videos.

As far as music goes, there are two ways to do this, firstly to say “no-one is going to buy this” and hope that you don’t get caught. This is likely to be okay, but does mean that unicycle.com can’t sell it and that if it turns out good, there’s no chance of clips from it getting wider publicity, or of selling it to the general public as something to turn them on to unicycling in the UK. This is why Universe 1 isn’t on the Universe 2 dvd as an extra. If you’re doing this, please be careful about using bands that are really famous or on major labels, as they have a tendancy to sue anyone and everyone using their music.

Bear in mind that whether it’s for profit or not doesn’t make a difference as far as the legality goes.

The alternative is to get clearance for the music. This is of variable difficulty depending on the signedness of the bands involved. If it’s the beatles or the stones, they automatically deny clearance and sue people all the time, steer well clear. If the band is on EMI, Virgin, Sony etc. there’s zero chance you’ll get clearance without paying a hell of a lot. If they’re on a small label, you’ll quite likely be able to talk to the band and get them to ask their label and get it for nothing. You need clearance from the song writer and the performers, usually for smaller bands this is the same people. This needs to be in writing.

Personally I think if we’re going for each person doing their own editing, then the thing thinuniking suggested, using local bands and getting clearance. Obviously you need the music when you do the editing.

The only other thing I’d say is that 4 minutes is a hell of a lot for a first try at doing a good quality film. You’re probably looking at a few tapes worth of footage to get 4 minutes of good quality stuff.

Joe