Dakoroman Drive System Pdfx1

wow threads can jump from JC to RSU now, I wish i could :smiley:

Ok, I have to be honest and say that I have barely skimmed through the posts here and the pdfs. However, I saw this on the 2nd pdf and couldnā€™t help but make others aware of it. I hope this is still on topic for a Dakoroman system.

STM

dakoroman.JPG

Ioan-

I agree with Rob that this would add some very strange feel to the pedaling motion. The pedals are going to want to rock back and forth while riding. Our pedals donā€™t stay flat throughout the entire revolution of the cranks. In your system as the rider rocks the pedals the cranks must rotate slightly about the wheel axle. In fact, for the 2:1 system for every 2 degrees of pedal tilt the crank will rotate 1 degree about the axle. For 150mm (6") cranks this constitutes 2.5mm (0.1") travel at the pedal.

One of the disturbing things about riding a geared unicycle (as many now know) is the backlash felt at the pedals. In my design I had to accept 0.5-1.0mm of variation at the end of a 150mm crank due to inherent gear backlash. I knew this ahead of time and wondered how difficult it would be to adjust to. I think it must be about the same for Florianā€™s hubs. In your geared crank design, for just 2 degrees of pedal tilt throughout the crank revolution this is already 2.5 to 5 times as great as the gear backlash of an epicyclic hub and would be perceived the same way. I have not included the backlash already present in the crank gears but that would be a cumulative effect.

The ā€œlong pedalsā€ are required to permit the body to exert a force with the heel to counteract the tendency of the pedals to rotate around with the cranks. This is useful only while applying pedaling torque. On a unicycle the rider must constantly adjust the applied torque to maintain balance in the forward/backwards axis. When the torque is suddenly reduced on a unicycle to correct and balance, the toe rather than the heel would be required to maintain the pedal in a horizontal position. Because of the short lever arm on the front of the pedal, it would rather easily try to rotate under the foot right at the very moment that the rider attempts to correct his balance. This would be unnerving to say the least.

You have made several references in your posts to small wheels, of order 12" in diameter. Small wheels do not fare well over rough surfaces, especially at high speeds. The small wheel size amplifies road irregularities. These irregularities need to be corrected by the rider by varying torque at the wheel axle. This takes physical energy and concentration. The portability of a small wheel becomes moot if the vehicle is not ridable. I would recommend that you not suggest using small diameter wheels on a unicycle driven by your gearing scheme. Long distance unicycle riders use large diameter wheels for a reason that it quite obvious to unicyclists but not so apparent to those who do not ride.

Can you make some comments about these issues? Maybe you already have some design refinements in mind. Again, these may not be significant issues for other pedaled vehicles but for unicycles they certainly are.

Looks like some sort of sexual enhancement device :stuck_out_tongue:

I want one!

Dakoroman Drive Systems Pdfx1

[QUOTE=harper :Godby moves in mysterious ways.[/QUOTE]

ā€¦

Dakoroman: Indeed, there is only one ā€œGOLDBYā€.

I apologise for delays/ no reply from me, but I was very busy to survive, the sooner I manage, the faster Iā€™ll jump on Forum.

By the way, figure1.a, that is what I meant by 15"/ as in inches smarties.

Obviously it is a mixture between a rider trying hard to keep good balance and a connector to the back of a bicycle.

GOLDBY, do not advertise too much this sketch/ 1.a; Unicyclist Forum may be hacked by the peeps of both genders.

Ioan Dakoroman

Actually, I was also wondering what the appendage was. It was not OBVIOUS to me, but now it makes sense as a connector to a bicycle. Hmmmā€¦ probably not too practical, but an interesting idea.

-Aaron

ā€¦

DAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEMS PDFX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manon1wheel
dear dakorman,
from what i can figure out from you drawings your design is ingenious. im sorry if i have shown any disrespect. and i also wish you luck. if i can assist you any any other way, just let me know and ill be happy to do what i can.
-Riley Crosby

ā€¦

Dakoroman: MANON1WHEEL/ Riley CROSBY,
I have commited plenty of mistakes as well, really upseting other Forum members; but that is not a reason to continue, like unknown enemies.

When one of us is at fault, by simple aknowledging it + an apology will do for most of the people.

I also wish you good luck, if you really want to do something, what about if you study a little bit figures 5, 6, 7, 8/ if you have the posibilities, of course, please, do not invest or buy anything, just think/ reflect/ talk to your friends/ try to improve if it is the case.

any personal experience is good, tell/ post your feelings/ about these designs, enlighten us, etc.

Other people/ especially the very young ones are invited to try/ at school, playgrounds, home.

I believe these figures 5,6,7,8 could be as good for beginners/ not you, real beginners, even better than PEDALO/ www.sport-thieme.co.uk.
ā€¦

Mr. Greg Harper/ Mr. Jason HEIMANN= MAESTRO8/ Mr. Rob.NORTHCOTT,

DAKOROMAN GEARED CRANKS can not be that heavy.

The reason I use DAKOROMAN PLATES as big as the small gear + big gear together is as general presentation for different manufacturing materials, not compulsory those with big density values.

The best would be from plastics/ composites/ even the gears, for certain types of applications.

Figure 17.a: transmission ratio 2:1/ for every rotation of the gears D2/ D3, central gear D1 will rotate twice= 2 times clockwise/ together with the big wheel D4=30, a very important feature for DAKOROMAN GEARED CRANKS.

Dakoroman plates, sandwich type or one wall type do not have to be ā€œfullā€ plates, their only roll is to suport the gears.

Also, for bigger numbers of teeth T, instead of gears we can use sprockets, same size and thickness like bicycle casette, connected by plates, big/ thick enough to do the job.

I do not believe that DAKOROMAN GEARED CRANKS are almost 20 lbs= close to 9 kg/ I will send you soon a drawing for longer Dakoroman Cranks, to study.

Yes, your calculations are correct for the sketches/ simple drawings as they are shown in PDF, but in real life CUSTOMISED DAKOROMAN GEARED CRANKS must apply; again, I donā€™t want to use a single entity to cover as many applications possible, trial and error will give us the perfect ones.

There are quite a few variables/ talking about unicycles only, flexibility/ adaptation of/ to different designs is more apropriate.

Apart of the ADVANCED products/ unicycles, something must be done about special categories of unicyclists:
a- very, very young gentlemen/ 5 years or so
b- healthy, ferocious, macho-macho gentlemen,
G= 110 plus kg/ strong, resistent unicycles
c- womenā€™s special designs; I know, some of our ladies look no longer like in their teenage years, they look even better!

So is the case with us the HUBBIES, letā€™s reinvent ourselves/ Gilby, hide figure 1.a.

So far, nobody posted comments about FOLDING, CONVERTIBLE, SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION, etc.

We have time, no problem.

Creating new applications/ products having ā€œtheirā€ needs in mind will put us/ Unicyclist Community in a better position, letā€™s work together!

Ioan ā€œDakoromanā€ OASA, Sydney

Plastic gears used to drive a unicycle is a bit of a stretchā€¦or shear or flow in this case.

Neither do I but then again neither you nor I have ever seen these devices let alone weighed them. The idea here is to get beyond belief systems and into reality.

Iā€™m sorry. I really have no idea what this means at all.

I wanted to start with the simplest proposal you have and determine if it can realistically be made to work on a unicycle. This is a unicycling forum and primary interests are in developments in unicycling.

[QUOTE=harper]

Plastic gears used to drive a unicycle is a bit of a stretchā€¦or shear or flow in this case.

Dakoroman: at least for childrenā€™s applications they may resist.
ā€¦

Harper:

Neither do I but then again neither you nor I have ever seen these devices let alone weighed them. The idea here is to get beyond belief systems and into reality.
I wanted to start with the simplest proposal you have and determine if it can realistically be made to work on a unicycle. This is a unicycling forum and primary interests are in developments in unicycling.
ā€¦

Dakoroman: correct, the accent must be on unicycles.

However, DAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEMS are applied on the wheel, so other HPVā€™s can use them.

Especially the CONVERTIBLE, FOLDING, PORTABLE, ADJUSTABLE ones; one of the function is ā€œworkingā€ as unicycles.

Debating/ commenting about unicycles not as isolated fenomenom, but part of the whole picture will only help the main cause: to atract more and more people/ fans in unicycling and change/ improve the perception of the people about unicycling in general.

Special/ customised unicycles must be created, for each category/ children, women, people with special needs, it would be nice to have Universal products, not that easy.

Ioan ā€œDakoromanā€ OASA, Sydney.

I disagree. The sport is doing fine with universal products. The division is in what you do with them - distance, commuting, trials, muni, freestyle, etc. But within those disciplines there is no separation between gender/children/special needs etc with the exception of what size frame you buy and wheelsize for kids.

Your design would fall into distance/commuting because gears are impractical for the other unicycle disciplines. Kids donā€™t ride distance or commute, thus you can make a universal ā€œadultā€ product - just like every other manufacturer does for commuting. I think this will save you money in the long run. :slight_smile:

ā€¦

Dakoroman: Seager, welcome back, no hard feeling from me towards any Unicyclist member.

Universal products are fine, unless you aim for special functions/ applications, matching the peopleā€™s needs with new features.

Case: TRIKKE, www.trikke.com, they have a range of products, altough from the logic/ common sense/ savings perspective, etc, would be much better to have a single product for everyone.

See DAKOROMAN 4X1/ 6X1, FOLDING/ CONVERTIBLE/ PORTABLE, as a case for universal products.

See Figure 11: DAKOROMAN ADJUSTABLE CRANKS, where the cranks can be lowered to the ground/ at least one of them, then allowed to pin-click back in normal position.

DAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEMS/ products can be used for more than long distance/ commuting; kids indeed donā€™t do that very often, but they love to play a lot and faster/ responsive/ cheap/ portable products are good for them.

DAKOROMAN ADJUSTABLE CRANK.pdf (80.5 KB)

Ioan-

Letā€™s try not to get off on any tangents. We have waited a long time for you to release any design information about your drive systems. It was questionable whether you had developed a geared drive system that was practical for use on a unicycle. Now you have let us see some sketches that are somewhat incomplete. Included in all of the information that you generously released to this site there was mention specifically of a 2:1 geared up drive system embedded in cranks that are effectively 81mm long. It has been pointed out that there are a number of reasons why it is very unlikely that this particular crank system wouldnā€™t work on a unicycle.

We are not interested in the possible application to folding bikes, recumbants, childrenā€™s unicycles, or vehicles for those with special needs. We are only interested in distance and speed applications on a unicycle for adults. Letā€™s stick to that in this discussion and you pick whatever design, gear ratio, effective crank length, and materials that you want to use. We want to be convinced that there is first at least one viable design of yours that will work. So far, Iā€™m not convinced. I havenā€™t heard anyone convinced enough to start building a pair of these.

If you want to continue to generate interest start trying to prove to us that your crank design version 1.0 can be made to work. Just arguing with us is not enough and going off on tangents now just makes you lose credibility. Stick to one simple design and stick to the point. Tell us what the dimensions are, what the materials are, the bearing types you will use, the gears or sprockets and chain that you will use, and how to get around problems mounting and locking cranks in place while riding. Then we can tell how much it will cost to make, how much time, what the weight is, where the stresses are and all of the things you need to know to make something work.

I love it when Harper talks dirty.

Fabulous, innit?

ā€¦

Into The Blue : ā€œI love it when Harper talks dirtyā€.
ā€¦

Dakoroman: Mr. Greg Harper doesnā€™t talk dirty by expressing in a clear way.

Those sketches show some of DAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEM 1, plus other applications.

That is what I wanted to share with you at this moment; in the future I will post from time to time other sketches, containing new concepts and applications.

By the moment Iā€™ve disclosed them in Public Domain I moved on, I do not have any desire to ā€œcontinue to generate interesā€, " to prove", or to keep the thread ā€œDAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEMS PDFX1ā€ on the first page.

Indeed I have created a new drive system, DAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEM is one my brain childs; if it is good for unicycles??

But nobody can deny its existence, it is here, a fact.

There are designers/ Into the Blue, engineers, manufacturers, publishers, writers, dreamers, PRO, viewers, fans, etc; if any of you wants to move the thinks thatā€™s fine, if not, in a few decades somebody will find my creations and comment.

I look at the big picture, more products/ applications of the same concept, in this case FOLDING, CONVERTIBLE, PORTABLE HPVā€™s.

I am working at other projects, just now I have solved a problem/ Universal Law/ INERTIA; it is about entities in motion, live/ humans or objects/ vehicles/ especially racing, including cars, even Formule 1.

The many applications will change/ influence us and the way we move/ play sports/ travel, transport, etc.

Again I wish you and your families the best in life!

Seems the only thing lacking is a //DAKOROMAN SYSTEM FOR SENSE OF THE HUMOUR - ALL APPLICATIONS>

I continue to deny the existence of the DAKOROMAN DRIVE SYSTEM for unicycles until it is built, tested, and documented. Before that it remains just a sketch.

Stay tunedā€¦Iā€™m going to take a crack at it next weekend, as soon as I finish my other uni-related project, which is trying to figure out how to remove the GB handle from my saddle.

Why would you want to do something silly like that? I just put one ON my saddle. :slight_smile:

OK, I was at my parentsā€™ place last weekend and the Lego was outā€¦
I didnā€™t have long, but quickly built a ā€œDakoromanā€ ultimate wheel. I did it with all the same size cogs, so it was geared up 2:1.
A pic is attached, and we took some film of it that Iā€™ll try to upload to the gallery. If that wonā€™t work or is still too slow (I havenā€™t used it for ages) perhaps somebody could host it for me, or Iā€™ll email it to anybody whoā€™s interested (itā€™s almost 3Mb at the moment, but could probably be reduced down a bit by dropping the resolution and/or upping compression).

It sort of worked OK if I gripped the ā€œpedalsā€ with my hands, but when I tried to ā€œrideā€ it with my fingers flat on the pedal plates they just kept squirming over with the torque. Perhaps 2:1 is too high a gear, but I didnā€™t have time to try it with a lower ratio. A full-size one at 2:1 would certainly need the pedals strapped to the riderā€™s feet somehow, assuming the riderā€™s ankles could take the torque. It was also quite annoying how the cranks drop to the bottom when you take your ā€œfeetā€ off - mounting would be quite hard. Interesting experiment though - it would be cool to build a real one, if only as a novelty.

Rob