Cycle computer on Uni

Today I bought a cateye wireless cycle computer to put on my KH24. I want to see how fast I can get and if my speed is improving on my daily commute.
However I am unsure of the setup - worried that it will come off or bust when I come off. Any words of wisdom?

well, normally you put it on the handlebar setup, which is in front and easy to read. dont trash your uni too much and you’ll be fine. but for short distance riding, i have somebody else record my speed. i would only put a cyclometer on a coker

I don’t have a handlebar, so figured if I get one that has average speed I can simply compare these from ride to ride without having to actually look at the screen. Someone suggested a wrist watch type computer but these are VERY expensive.

i would only put a cyclometer on a coker
[/QUOTE]

May I ask why?

well i dont ride distances on my smaller unis, and i dont care how fast i go on them. if the kh24 is your biggest, then thats fine.

I would mount it on the seat post holder; it is easier to check in that position. I have used a small locking-tie to hold it in place and keep it from popping off in a fall. I had a brand new one on a 29" that fell off somewhere on the first ride. (I never found it.)

Scott

If it’s wireless, can you put it in your pocket/bag/camelbak?

I think I’ll try the camel back idea and see how I go. Just wish it could clip onto the sternum strap somehow.

Wireless cycling computers usually require the monitor to be within 18" of the transmitter. That is a bit tricky even mounting the monitor on the handlebars of a 36". I do not think it would have the range to reach your backpack.

It is too bad that they do not make the transmitters more powerful. I guess they make them gutless to avoid cross-talk with multiple bikes.

Scott

Wireless monitor mounted directly under saddle, within close range of transmitter, and small magnifying mirror mounted to touring bar, and positioned to reflect data. You just have to read it backwards! :smiley:

I’m going to get a Sigma wireless computer to put on my 29er, planning to wear it on my wrist. Does anyone know if this could be a problem for the transmission of the signal, distance or angle wise?

Here is an update on the situation: camelback was too far away. Someone suggested I velcro it to the underside of the saddle with adhesive velcro tape. The velcro stuck together but the adhesive didn’t and the computer fell off the saddle velcro and all. Then I purchased a saddle bag (like you would put on a bike) I have managed to somehow insert the tabs you would put round the rails on a bike under the bumpers and so far so good…the set up works.

Could you take a photo of the new setup? That maybe inspiring :slight_smile:

I have a wireless cycle computer on my 29", no handlebars so it is mounted on the crown in front of the neck. Whenever I need to see my speed I look down at it and read it upside down. It could be mounted upside down but I would be afraid of it coming off it’s mounting :astonished: .

Cycle computers can’t be mounted on the wrist as they tend not to work if the receiver is moving about:(. I still need to adjust the transmitter after taking the wheel off, it hasn’t worked since :roll_eyes:

Crap! I’m still tempted to try though, they’re cheap and maybe I have more luck :slight_smile:

I only tried it once with a cheap cycle computer so perhaps it will work better for you:p.

Wrist mount success!

I am happy to report it did :smiley:

I got the Sigma Sport BC 1009 STS, here:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,5,144,13;product=12640

Mounted to my wrist with a rubber band (need to make a more secure solution). Works like a charm. I double checked the distance reported using GPS, it was very close so any glitches must have been short. (…and I’m waving my arms all over the place…)

It’s fun to see the speed and distance while I’m riding. I set some new personal records on the 29er today: 7.3 km at an average of 10.5 km/h. Max speed was 18.2. That translates to a cadence of 131 rpm - much more than I thought I was able to do on a uni! :slight_smile:

Highly recommended if you don’t have handlebars. If you’ve got a geared uni you might want the BC 1609 STS which also has a cadence sensor :wink:

The wireless ones also need to be mounted within a certain angle to the chip on the wheel. For me, it was too far to put it on any type of uni handlebar, so I always have gone wired.

I use them on my KH24 and KH36.

corbin

Yeah, the Sigma manual also mentioned angles and distances, but it worked just fine on my wrist despite that. I guess their wireless system is better than some of the cheaper alternatives.

If you’re going to put in on handlebars I see no point in wireless. I use wired on my bicycles, because I don’t want to have twice as many batteries to worry about.

The first time I installed a cycle computer it was on a 24" Miyata in 1986. We attached it on the seatpost, and it was intended to show the distance ridden. The model was Cateye Solar (sun-powered). Worked well.

Then a few years later I took it to the next level and installed a smaller computer into the front of the seat on my track uni (another 24"). So it was readable while riding, though you might have to pull your shorts out of the way to see it :). That’s the one I used for race training, and checking max. speed (used to be able to reach 17.5 mph regularly).

Many years after that I did a typical install of a typical cycle computer on my hybrid bike (yes, bicycle). It apparently popped off its mount on a trail somewhere, and was never seen again.

I never got around to putting one on my Coker or other unicycles. I have one or two in a box somewhere, unused. Instead, Santa Claus brought me a Garmin 305 a few years ago. Works with all my unicycles (and in cars, airplanes, etc.) and I can upload the data! The price has gone down quite a bit, probably because they now have the Forerunner 405.