Custom Titanium Unicycles

No brake mounts on Triton or Qu-Ax?
Brake mounts on Tritons are optional upon request :slight_smile:

On the Qu-ax, becaus qu-ax trials uni normaly have brake mounts because they are called munis.

I see :slight_smile:
Thanks

Hey guys, not to rain on your parade, but carbon and Ti are a more flexible material than alminum and steel, esp if you’re looking at building a frame that is as light as aluminum. Aluminum is the best material for frames because it is light, strong, stiff, inexpensive, and easy to work.

Ti is the exact opposite in all respects other than lightness. HOWEVER, to make a Ti frame as stiff as steel, you have to use a thicker tubing, which reduces some of the weight saings.

Carbon is a totally different ball o’ wax since it is a carbon fiber made stiff by being impregnated with Epoxy. It’s good stuff, but again wall thickess is an issue if you want stiff, so lightness comes at a price: Flex. The crown and bearing holders are still aluminum BTW. Carbon has issues with impact resistance, no getting away from that fact, just ask a bike rider and they’ll tell you the same.

Steel and aluminum are the best, which explains why they are so common. If you have the cash, aluminum has the advantage of being lighter than steel. If you have a whole lot more cash, then you can go exotic with Ti or Carbon.

Ti is not better. Carbon is not better. It’s just a material choice, you choose the material based on your needs and cash flow.

I love my Ti frame, but, if I had to do it again I’d get a KH 26 without a second thought. It’s just Ti guys, it won’t make you a better rider.

One more comment on Carbon: The joints that are formed between the aluminum and carbon are glued, Glue has a tendency to break down as it is flexed, esp when the two surfaces being bonded are made from different materials. I have run a carbon fork, it was flexy, and over time it began to creak. The frame builder is guaranteeing his frame, but guarantees are only as good as the business that supports them. In terms of longevity, the carbon frame has the shortest expected lifespan, then aluminum, then steel, then Ti.

Ben, I don’t get it, I thought that you were a titanium fan-boy.

Personally I think that titanium would be an ideal material for smaller unicycle frames (although out of my price range) while aluminum would make more sense for the long-legged 36er frames.

I don’t know if I’m missing something here, or if you’re using a different grade of titanium, but that doesn’t correlate to my experiences. I bought a 29" Triton (Ti) frame to replace the Schlumpf (Al) frame I had. The Triton is a lot lighter and much stiffer.

By stiffer, I have only got two things to go on; For a full unicycle, to push hard up a hill to see if the brakes rub, or for the frame itself, to squeeze the bearing holders together to see how much my hand can make them move.

Compared to the 29" Schlumpf frame, the brake rub was often a problem, and I could squeeze the bearing holders much much closer together (probably more than a couple of inches, but I didn’t want to go too far for fear of permanently breaking it).

Compared to a 20" KH aluminium frame, I can still squeeze the bearing holders closer together (maybe 8-10mm) than the triton (maybe 2-4mm), and I would imagine a 29" KH frame would flex a lot more.

The 29" Triton is a little bit heavier (620g) than a 20" KH (570g), but still lighter than a 29" KH (685g).

So, for minimal flex and minimal weight, titanium is the obvious answer.

To equate price in to that equation, of course, probably won’t make Ti such an attractive option to most people though.

STM

Not exactly a fan, but I like my Ti frame. I’m a gear junkie that just so happens to have enough free cash to buy good gear. You oughtta see my ski gear :0

Ti is flexy, so I’d be more wary the longer you go on the frame legs, that’s not to say that Ti won’t work for a 36er, but there are perfectly good alternatives.

I’m just trying to add a little bit of reason to this discussion. I don’t want the younger folks on this forum to get the idea that Ti is so much better simply because it’s the most expensive frame material.

In terms of biggest bang for the buck, KH frames are the best, which is why I have three of them at my house (20, 24, 36) :slight_smile:

BUT, if you have the cash, you might as well get the Ti.

I will say that in certain situations Ti has quite an advantage over other materials, such as the KH Ti hub; which must be made from steel otherwise, it has a huge weight advantage over standard hubs. I have Ti hubs on my 26 and 36, so much lighter, yet super strong!

Triton frames teaser…

Hi all,

I ordered a triton 29er frame (with similar geometry to gizmoducks) a little while back, and I understand these things take time. My frame is soon to be shipped out to me (yay!!!), but in the meantime Dmitry sent me a couple of photos of the current batch of frames he is putting together. Thought i’d share them here, for all of you triton fans to admire…

I like the concept of a 24/26/29 capable fat tyre frame. What do you guys think?? Also, it’s great to see that this new generation of triton frames match the high standards set by the previous batches of frames, can’t wait until I get mine and I looking forward to spending all summer riding it!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics…

Cheers,

Dan :smiley:

So thats how Jogis frames look like :wink:

Website for them will be up soon!

Those frames look great!

I relaly like the idea of a size swappable frame. I was supposed to have mine done that way, but communciation went south during the design process.

One thing that I’d really like to see is a quick release bearing holder.

I have a design that I’d share if Dmitry is interested :slight_smile:

Are these the extra-wide frames for the 4" tyres?
I’d be worried about the brakes fitting on a standard 29" rim. Without having tried it, I would stick to a standard width frame if it’s to be swapped between all 3 wheel sizes.
Also think of your knees…

sweet…

I LOVE the swappable idea… I would love to be able to get a ti frame that I can swap my 24" Muni, 26" Guni (when I build it), and 29" XC Muni wheel/crankesets on… I’m intrigued :slight_smile:

They look great. But that’s a lot of bosses for the brakes.

Nice frames from triton. Just wondering if anyone would really swap wheelsets and more importantly, brakes, regularly enough to justify this. I have a hard enough time getting my maguras set up the way i like them on my 24" muni let alone thinking about changing them for every ride on a different size wheel. For the cost of one Ti frame you could get 3 KH ones and a few Magura brakes as well and just be able to get up and go riding without the hassle of a swap over. In my opinion if you are going to go for something that is so ‘top of the line’ don’t compromise and try to make it fit every situation- just choose the ride you would benefit most from it and make it specifically for that. They look nice and i’m sure would work really well but for me- i can not complain at all with my current KH frame. It is perfect for what i use it for and is cheap enough that if it does break i can replace it relatively easily.
Mark

Yoggi designed a really nice one… I tried Joe’s Addict/Impact uni prototype when I was in France and it’s really nice, but add some weight and it’s quite expensive for large production… So it didn’t come out in this new line…

new stuff

indeed this are pics from a special serie of 20 frames witch are designed to fit 24" x 3", 26" x 3", 26" x 4" and 29" x 2.5"

@napalm its cheaper to have one titan frame than three,
they are much stiffer than alu frames and awesome finished and for travelling its easyer to have one frame and three wheelsets;)

this will be the only serie with triple magura mounts as an special offer;)
36", 20", 26"…frames will follow in a few month and of cause you will be able to order custom frames

they are not shipped jet - but expected soon and you will get an information when and where they are avaivible :smiley:

jogi

I definately want one. Will these be available through an online retailer/ebay? Or will getting one still involve the whole ‘sending large amounts of money to a man in Russia you have never met’ as before. Not that anyone came a cropper doing this, everyone involved seems completely trustworthy, but it is not something I would enjoy doing or encourage anyone else to do…

I agree - the koxx/addict/impact/whatever they were called at the time frames with qr bearing holders did look promising. Having to undo four fiddly little bolts to remove the wheel is the most annoying thing about unicycles vs bikes IMO (I don’t swap wheelsets but I do sometimes change the tyre on my muni) and it would be really nice to be able to do it more easily. A small-production-run project like the Triton is the perfect place to do this sort of thing, as they’re already relatively expensive so a bit of extra cost isn’t so important.

I don’t need a Triton frame (although they are nice…) but qr bearing holders are definitely something I’d go for if I was looking at a top-end uni frame.

Rob

Other Triton frames seem to have an awesome finish and a clean look.

But the option may be interesting for others.

lol:p
to get a triton frame for a single person may cause some problems, therefore they are imported by me and you´ll can order them at a webstore.

as you see at impact /addict and koxx its not so easy to get things just in time and that´s the reason why you never heard about this - i don´t wanna announce things before they are fix, now this pictures appeared, but anyway - i hope it dont take to long now until everything is complete :roll_eyes:

i will save one for you - as i remember there are 13 left now, but next summer there will be a new charge muni of frames but not with triple magura mounts.

jogi