Custom Titanium Unicycles

I agree, it looks pretty good, but not as good as the Triton. I also have the impression that it might not be perfectly straight. Is that the case? That would obviously make it somewhat less enjoyable. I hope I’m wrong though.

No, it’s straight, that’s just an off angle shot. The finish is what ou make it, ie how you rub it out. It’s not as bright as it looks. Ti is all the same color unles it’s polished or dulled by rubbing with a ruugh 3m cloth.

I agree that it’s not as fancy in the crown as the Triton, BUT the bearing holders are spec’d on the Schlumph, which means it’s ready for a guni. The bearing holders set the Pride apart from all but KH frames!

Well, we made a couple of Schlumph-compatible unicycle frames. It’s not a problem at all.

Ben, do you know approx weight your frame is going to be?
Thanks

It’s Ti, so weight is comparable to unpainted aluminum. The thing with material strength is the lighter you go, the less resistant to stress the frame will have, so it would make sense to go with a thicker tubing as you lengthen the legs OR go with a larger OD tubing.

I’d rather have a heavier tubing than a flexy frame, esp for $700 :o

Okay, I’m glad it isn’t crooked. Did you get that TryAll rim with machined braking surfaces? It looks like it. Because mine came with gold paint all over. I hope it will work okay with the brakes…

Erm…:slight_smile:
Well, thanks for explaining. I run Triton, so I know a little bit about Ti :wink:

I just wondered if you knew the exact weight of these frames in grams.
Thnx

AFAIK, there is not any much difference. The walls are the same. The anodized layer will wear off quickly. Most bicycle trials riders grind those rims. Not sure you guys do the same for unis :slight_smile:

I’ll see how it goes first, maybe I will sand the side walls a bit, if it doesn’t feel right.

My gold rim had a painted side wall, it’s just gradualy worn off with brake use. The 24" rims have a machined sidewall, but not the 26" :thinking:

It’s a nice frame, I really don’t have any complaints. It’s narrower than a KH frame at the crown, he did this by pinching the tubing at the tire for clearance. At first I didn’t like the idea, but it’s very common on ti bike frames, so no big. It’s so narrow that I have to watch my legs so I don’t hit the tire with my knee :slight_smile:

It’s super light and fairly stiff, more flex than steel but that’s the nature of ti. I don’t get any more frame or brake rub than I did with the Nimbus steel frame.

It is expensive, had some sticker shock even though I was expecting the price to be what I paid. Is it worth it? Well, for just over $200 I could get a very nice KH 26, strip the paint, have a similar color and corrosion resistance, save myself enough for a nice wheelset, and they’d weight and perform the same. So, kinda splurgy for this guy, but it sure is puuuurty :slight_smile:

I’d sell it for the right price if someone was really interested :wink:

Hey Gazza, I didn’t weight it before putting it together, so I probably won’t get a weight since I ain’t gonna disassemble it. Weight is really a non issue, ti is light, aluminum is light, ti is really about bling as you can get similar performance for a wole lot less. Hell, even steel works just fine, not that much heavier, so maybe a 1/2# saved and some additional anti-corrosion benefits, but still it’s just a uni frame.

Just as a follow up, I have not posted a review or more pics of my Ti muni because it’s back with the frame builder for some modifications. The first frame design had legs tube skinnier than the KH/Nimbus, which was great for ankle and knee clearance, as well as very light, but not enough beef for a big guy riding hard. Ti is a very flexy material, so the frame builder though that this would be resolved with changing to larger tubing in the legs.

David is truly commited to building Ti uni frames, spending extra time to learn what frame materials work best, quick to respond to my concerns, ready to fix things when they aren’t quite right. I should have the frame back in the next week or two. At that time I’ll take some pics, get dimensions, and a proper weight.

Get those checkbooks and VISA cards ready…

Ben

The latest edition of Uni magazine has an advert by Qu-Ax which mentions their new titanium frame. I’ve looked on their website, and had a quick search here, but can’t find any information about it. Does anyone else know about this?

STM

Haha, it’s funny how every compagny makes Ti frames now, exept Kris Holm… they will come:p I haven’t seen the Qu-ax Ti though, I dont have Uni magazine:(

Here you go…

… but I really would recommend subscribing to the magazine :slight_smile:

STM

how?! Where?! I would really like to:p

How about checking their website? Or you can get it at municycle.ca.

Little disapointed about the qu-ax frame,
its almost the same as the ti koxx-one devil frame.

offcourse its cool that qu-ax is making a ti frame.
but when you make something out of such nice matrial, put some more design in it.

Yah. Definately do not like that frame shape. It is very vicious.

Still working on the Ti frame 26" build. There were some growing pains, we’re on frame #3, but david has done a good job working with me to build the best frame possible. The frame is now complete and he wrote me to say it was mailing out today. After I get it together and do some riding I’ll post pics and a review.

The website has now been updated;
http://qu-ax.com/en/Blog/20091/20091101Win-a-Titanium-fork-with-MyQU-AX
Still not much info though.

STM

I’d rather have a Triton:p but at least there’s no break mounts on it!