Custom Made Titanium Frame's and Seatpost's

Have to agree, there are lots of strong light frames around, but seemingly few seatposts that don’t get broken with sustained abuse.

Thanks for the positive input on the subject! The ti we’ll be using will be determined by a few things. First off I need to determine how many unit’s to produce our first run through. Once we can put on number on that, we will sort through the various grades and find one with the physical properties needed to withstand the abuse of unicycling. Our first prototype will probably be made from 1.5mm thick tubing. We’ll be using a sealed chamber to do all the welding in and have it filled with argon. We do not have a CNC machine in house, but we will be taking it to another company to get that work done.

He is most definatley certified in the welding industry. I know he’s worked with Webber Aviation, and some of his more recent work has been through Xtreme Stuctures. For those of you who don’t know, Aviation welding and fabrication has some of the strictist standards in the industry. Basically he’s a perfectionist and since I’m the only one to see his work first hand I’m the only one who’s actually excited to see this happen.

If you wish to have a frame outfitted for a custom hub, you would need to send me the dimension’s needed for the bearing holders and any other additional changes that may be needed to make to the frame.

Design and material are critical, as is turnaround time, as is terms and conditions.

Interest may better be generated by having a clearly communicated plan, with proven prototypes and well-known terms. Why should I be interested in having you build me a Ti seatpost, when you can’t tell me if I’ll get it in 6 weeks or 6 months, or what might happen if it breaks?

Ok, I spent some time at the computer and made this extremely rough drawing of a uni that I have in mind. It should be attached to this post. I did not make the spokes or pedal as you can see. I also skipped the cogs that would have to be on both the main hub and the secondary hubs. The idea is a lot like a reverse giraffe except you would have to make a set of three. One on the main hub, one idling in between, and one on the secondary hub. Now you would need that on both sides so that the cranks would spin at the same rate. The reason to make a uni like this is obvious, a inexpensive geared uni.

This would require alot of machining on your end. Do you think that you would be up to it?

Yeah, so that’s why you want this in titanium right? Real smart. :roll_eyes: Instead of spending “hours on the computer” you could have taken the 5 minutes to figure out the 100 reasons why this design sucks. So please discuss this in another thread if you feel the need.
Can we please keep this thread free from people primarily wanting something “inexpensive”? :angry:

Back on topic: I am also a little skeptical if we will see a frame produced. But there is definitely a market for higher end uni stuff that is left wide open at the moment. If its possible to make a little money from a 1000$ geared hub, why not a frame in the 400$ range?

And please stop acting like producing a frame is an herculean effort or the spearhead of technology. It just takes someone qualified, just like most other jobs in the world. :roll_eyes:

Did you not stop to think that that may be why he made this thread?

Of course some people are going to be skeptical. I mean, we dont know anything yet, but I think some of you are getting out of hand. Stop being so demanding.

This thread is based on the idea of production. This is the beginning, and things are still being talked about and plans are still being made.

Be patient, and all your answers will be answered.

1000$ hubs sell because they are the only ones on the market. Why spend 400$ on a frame when there are others on the market for much cheaper.

Despite what I just said, If I had enough money, I would get a custom Ti frame. I think they are awesome!

Because Ti frames have their own target market?

The reason that I brought up an idea like this in this thread was so that I could illustrate the pitfalls of saying “any frame design.” I was make a point with more then just say that I could make something that they could not. The topic of the thread is for market analysis not to make sales and I get that.

yes, it’s a very small target market because of the price they cost and the availability and quantity of substitutes. Besides that, unicyclists are a small market to begin with, Ti frames are selecting an even smaller amount. Until every one has the money, which at this rate will be ages, that will continue to be a tiny market. They will just become far off dreams till then.

I agree, and that is why seat posts would be a good place to start.

Yeah, and think of all the other projects that have been out. A large ammount of riders, specially the younger riders, will want it, and when it comes time to order and pay up, only a small percent of them actually buy it.

On the last batch of Ti frames, they didnt seem worth it to me, unless I had tons of money just sitting around. Ive never experience the knee-hitting probem on any frame ever, never had a problem with how stiff a frame is, and a 4gram weight difference isnt worth $450 to me. If I wanted to save weight, id strip my KH frame and it would be lighter than the Triton.

Like some have said, id definetly go with a seatpost first. If you can make it the same weight as a aluminum post, but as strong, or stronger than the CroMo posts, youd have a great product. And if people fork out for a Thomson post, they will fork out for a Ti Post,

I should get Phil into this thread. He is very much into welding and all of that. Hed have some great ideas for posts. Hes bent them and broke them enough, (and has fixed them all back to be indestructable) to know how they should be modified.

I’d be interested in a 20" trials frame with a angular round crown like the Triton.

You should also consider making a 24" MUni frame in the first batch of frames and send it to one of the Santa Barbara MUni guys. Next to flatland guys, they have broken the most KH frames.

I would but a Ti seat post. My other ones keep bending and snapping.

We should get a test product… eh? eh?

Should, and im sure one will be out later. =p

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward doing the seatpost first. That way It’ll give me a chance to show you guys were serious about this and hopefully give us enough profit to help bankroll some more ti for the frames.

So what sizes should we offer for the seatposts? I figure 27.2 and 25.4, but what about lengths?

325 mm
just for the hell of it :wink:

I actually would prefer to make them really long, then have you just cut it down to lenth. But I don’t think everyone will have the proper tools to cut titanium.