Custom Made Titanium Frame's and Seatpost's

Another question, if you don’t polish it after welding it, will it have weld burns?

Cause I think it’d be cool to have a frame like the Dan Heaton frame.

450$, and something like 4g weight saving over a KH frame.

Joe

Im very interested but it depends on the weight,cost and the design to meet my trials needs

I would be interested in buying a freestyle frame in the Triton price range.

The important part here would be a crown with plenty of space for standup tricks and a nice shape. Hitting the knee would be less of an issue, so it would probably have to be wider than a street crown. A knurled frame shoulder might be cool as well.
There is a Ti-frame on sale in Japan, but it uses lollipop bearing holders, so its not an option.
I am not sure how large the high-end freestyle market is, but on the other hand the quality of current freestyle unicycles is poor compared to trials/street. So this might be a market opportunity.

If the chemical welding is not an issue a Ti-seatpost with gussets to go with it would be cool.

P.S. Can we please keep this thread on topic. I don’t want this to become another 20+ pages of unibikeling’s brain-diarrhea.

I would love to see a ti freestyle frame as well. It would be great if the dimensions could be similar to the new nimbus freestyle (which is copied from other frames, just using a refrerence) with larger diameter tubing used for the foot rest and a bit less tire clearance.

I’ve decided my freestyle is tooo heavy :slight_smile:

This is somehting I’m looking into for myself aswell. Titanium turns into an awesome array of colors when heated, but I imagine we can offer a raw finish just like the DH frames.

As for the anodizing vs powdercoating, anodizing weighs less that PC. Many people don’t realize but PC add a good amount of weight to a frame.

As I said earlier, ANY sytle of frame can be crafted. I can get your initials welded on there if you like;)

No, I didn’t read thoroughly. To be honest, I haven’t read this site in months, and only came because I wanted to get the HTML code to rickroll someone, and remembered this site had a button on it to do just that.

I’m not going to argue with you. I don’t care, you’re not going to listen if I do argue, and the suckers who think they’ve just found their dream fabricator will continue to believe, regardless.

Just remember, there are hundreds, if not thousands of experienced frame builders in the US who are more capable than anyone on this forum in doing custom work. If you’d rather trust someone who’s never done this before, who you’ve never met, who just claims to “know a guy and a company”, then hell, go right ahead. If you ask me, go talk to Rick Hunter or the like, and get your parts done right.

Your trying to instill doubt into the minds of other people, about a project you know absolutley nothing about. You even said it yourself, the simple fact that you have not bothered to read these threads makes any remark against me completley illogical. The base to which you ground all your statments, comes from your own shortminded reasoning and what you would call “experience”.

So how does it make any sense at all to do what your doing? Your just going to slam the door on this and say “blah blah blah…this guy does it better…blah blah blah you don’t know what your doing”. With all due respect, you should stop posting in this thread.

Since you didn’t mention this here, consider this a bit OT, but…

A TI seatbase with a “T”-shaped protrusion in front could be a popular item. My CF seatbase has an aluminum “T” bolted onto the front four handle bolts, but a one-piece design would be preferable. With the “T” out front, one can put bar-ends or aerobars or whatever on them and make a nice handlebar.

I would buy such an item.

I have a rough idea of what your talking about, but if you could please provide me with an actual picture or link the said item that would be greatly apppreciated. If it’s what I think it is, I’m sure it would be no problem

Well, here’s a picture of Munivision’s (Jim’s) handle, whose design I mostly copied. I’m talking about the seat base including the “T” part, but NOT the bar-ends.

I don’t see that being a problem at all. I’ll talk to him about it though and let you know.

Actually, Gerble and I are voicing doubts that we already have. My doubts were founded by the lack of critical information you’ve left us with… being that you haven’t addressed our questions (other than to brush them aside), my doubts grow even stronger… as should others’.

Do you even know who you’re talking to? Gerble has more powers of reasoning than some people twice his age… and his “experience” includes countless hours working with metals, welding, machines, etc. in the production of several of his own custom frames.

What experience do you have to debase his claims? It appears, none.

There is no respect anywhere in your post.

Hmm I think it will be intresting to see some of these frames.

I dont think I will be after a frame, not for a while at least. I dont think I can aford to spend so much on a frame right now. I would however be intrested in buying a ti post with gussets (I think if they prove to be of good quality there will be a few of us from the uk after them). This is dependant on its price and if KH brings out another, stronger post, with gussets.

At the moment I am riding with my UDC cromo post as this is the only post that seems to last more than about 2 months and that I can reweld when it breaks.

To what doubts are you voicing to that I have yet to adress? I see none that I have yet to cover or any lack of what you would call “critical information”. I have touched on every issue you have brought to my attention, most of which you could have answered yourself if you took the time to read like most people have done.

No I don’t. But I’ll continue to make negative assumptions about him seeing as that’s what you guys like to do.

Your satements are redundant and fairly incoherent. It’s like talking to a couple of kids who fail to see the point of this thread and are making things up to support their own ideas. Please read, if you did you would know that this is a work in progress and I’m using this to gather information so that I can start on this as soon as possible.

Thanks for the input. I’ll have more details on the seatpost once I can get the frame designs out of the way.

Firstly, I think it’s great to have yet another person doing custom unicycle work.

Secondly, The easiest way to shut up the nay-sayers, is to build and test a unicycle frame. Lend it to someone who can put it through its paces and report back.

I read through some of your other post, and while he seems like a qualified fabricator, I didn’t read anything about him having experience with cycle frames.

Also, don’t listen to the people who want them if they’re “cheap enough”. People who want cheap should stick with the mass produced stuff. Build up to a level of quality, not down to a price point.

I think some of the comments have perhaps a little more negativity than is warranted, but people certainly should be a bit skeptical until point 2 is addressed.

edit: I’d also be cautious about offering ANY style frame. Personally, I’d focus one one MAYBE two frame designs, and not expand until those designs are proven. My experience is that when you try to be all things to all people, something is going to suffer in the process.

Criticisms aside, I’m very intrested in seeing what your friend produces.

I think that you would probably be better off producing the seatposts first. I think there is probably a bigger market, they shouldnt be too hard to make (im not saying its easy) compared to the frames, they should cost alot less and they will show you are serious about this and that you can produce a quality product. Also this way, if there is a problem with someting there is less money in the pot (for both you and the coustimer).

Unislab, I admire the fact that you want to build custom frames but I also agree with a large number of the posts in this thread. I have been part of small companies who think that they have the best product out there and can beat the big boys right out of the gates. You will find this to be untrue, unless of course you are lucky.

I would like to make a design and submit it to you but I would also like to know what grade of Ti you are using so that I can get the material properties (modulus of elasticity, tensile strength, and other more common properties) so that I can design a frame that I know would withstand some abuse.

Now say that I want my frame to have a shape more akin to the Torker DX with the non-tubular parts, do you have the machine tools necessary to fabricate such a part. And you said any design too so that means that if I can design something that would require a custom made hub would you be able to facilitate that too.

I would say that you need to make a few frames and test them. Then offer them for sale and use the custom stuff more as part of a research and development program. A few other issues I have noticed is general credibility of your process. Is your welder a certified welder? Are you going to be using any CNC milling, or by hand? Are you actually going to be doing any of the fabrication yourself? What kind of facility do you have? Are you going to use CAD software to make your shop plans? (I would recommend Solidworks if you are. That way you can to testing in the computer and export complex shapes straight to the CNC.)

I wish you the best of luck with you venture. But please be responsible and generate a good product. I agree with Mscalisi, build up to a quality standard not down to a price.

Oh and as a side note, I did read the entire thread.