comparing unicycles side by side (by price and known strength)

a DX over here costs $563 !!

and the guy at the bike shop tried to convince me that the LX had a reinforced beefy unbreakable frame.

he had no idea.

Lol unbreakable lx frame…Man thats like saying the African Grey is the most lightweight durable frame for trials ;). But I wonder how well a kh drilled rim would have held up agains the force taken by that k1, and how well the wheel was built or how tight the spokes were…I threw out a rim once first day I got it because the spokes were freakishly loose…

… and that guy always hops and lands w/ his left foot forward and never rolls out of his drops, also I bet the spokes weren’t tightened regularly. I say it failed from fatigue. If he used better technique, alternated which feet he had forward, and maintained the wheel better I bet that rim would have lasted a much longer time.

+1 to everything but the alternating feet, I only do that on techy muni lines, if I am gonna do a big drop I would want to start best foot forward man

yeah I have 2 friends who have bought profiles in the past 2 months

that drop was A)retardidly big, B) his skill and dropping height don’t match up, C) shouldn’t have broken that badly if he had either skill or proper trueing

One of them is me. I personally love profiles, and I hate how everyone on here hates on them. They are the original hardcore crankset, and they take quite a bit of abuse. A lot of the newer riders haven’t even seen them, they only know KH and DX.
And saying that no one bends moments is like saying no one crashed vista the day it came out. You have to take into account how long they’ve been around, among other things. I’m not saying they suck, just that it takes some more time to see how things go.

That is an absolutely horrible analogy. Vista crashed for tons of people the day it came out, and still does. Off topic, yeah, but Vista is no where near ready for much current hardware or software. The reliability of the moment cranks cannot be likened to the reliability of a Microsoft product.

You purchasing Windows 98 for four times as much as Vista because your hardware installs under it (even though its not necessarily better) though could be compared to you buying your profile over the moments.

Well A. I dont think the drop was retardidly big, it looks like its just the camera angle. Look when they walk by the wall, it doesnt look that high over there heads, I have seen so many drops bigger than that and so many done without the destruction of a wheel. It also looks like he tried to put extra force in his landing…Like he thurst downwards as he landed, might jsut be me though…But this thread is gettin a lil off topic, its startin to go into computers somehow too ;). So, were comparing unis…how bout hub and crank sets…How do these unis compare in these. How many people have actually bent the Moments, the K1 reinforced, the dx, or the qu-ax crank or hubs?

correction 3 people

Wow! It doesn’t look as wide as K1 reinforced rim to me. That guy needs 52 mm wide undrilled titanium rim then.

i almost had a similar incident on the weekend, landed a big 6 set, 4 spokes to the back of my wheel broke off where they go through the hub flange and my wheel looked a small bit similar but just not anywhere near as bad.

gah, how do you break stuff off a 6 set(no offense, im just curious as to why it broke)

I have done a 9 set and landed at a 45* angle (w/ semi-loose spokes)
NOTHING HAPPENED, I ROLLED AWAY FINE, on a STOCK 05 DX of all things. (thats a 20"BMX rim)

Lol chillax man, I broke spoked out of my uni at Moab just doin the bigginer comps at the skatepark. Doin a 360 off that wall broke one out the wall was what like 4 ft lol. but I tightened the spoked myself and I suck at it. if oyu just have certain spokes waay to tight thngs like that will happen…

Yes, and we don’t know much about that wheel either. It looked like the rim broke at the valve stem (where the weld or seam is). The valve should not be centered at the bottom of where you always land. If it was, it was only a matter of time before that wheel would cave.

That was the impression I got from that video in general. It just goes to show that guts are a very important component to doing those types of moves! I have skills, but a lot less guts. Skills help your equipment last a lot longer, but that wheel probably wasn’t anything close to appropriate for the stuff he was doing, and it probably could have used some truing as well.

I only hate the way one of mine continues to creak no matter what I try on quieting it down. Ultra-strong and with the best warranty, but they are not the original hardcore crankset. That credit should go to David Mariner (DM), and his “first splined unicycle hubs” (1999) on the ATU and Vortex. Zero creaks.

talking about rims…

I have a qu-ax since january last year and it has been taken lots and lots and lots of abuse.

the crankset/hub parts are just like when I got it… perfect (except for scratches it doesnt even squeeks). it really is very strong. the saddle is diyng, but I think I couldnt avoid that. the frame is all scratched but still strong.

now the rim… like, six months after buying the uni I started going bigger and bigger, and the rim started kneading (is that the right word? I asked google so…) the side walls, and from time to time I have to take the tire off, “unknead” (this was a guess) the rim and rotate the cranks. it really sucks cause there almost arent any parts that are not fucked up.

the conclusion is. qu-ax unis really are unbreakable. except for the shitty rim.