Combining different brands into a single Muni

I tried, but that doesnt fit well…

Tried a lot further which gave more control going down, but still doesnt really feel comfortable for quick short turns and stuff.
Therefore I just cut off the minimum amount (7.8cm) to get the t-bar as close as possible while still having the brake lever mounted. This is still a bit longer than the original saddle handle. I’ve also wrapped the center part with rubber to get a better grip for riding centered with one hand, but i’m not sure about that one either… will try again tomorrow, it’s pretty late already and dark outside. :wink:

You are making great progress! How many unicycles in how many days ?

1 Like

I really wanted to keep the saddle handle usable. Here is my setup from another thread and this works for me. The saddle handle cannot be gripped fully, but I find it reassuring.

As finnspin mentioned, for muni keep the t-bar close to the saddle otherwise it’s hard to pull up. The first time I used this setup I found I was pulling back, not up, and took some time to adjust.

2 Likes

I have the 19" Impact Gravity Pro and the QU-AX 27.5" #RGB with Mad4One muni frame (and seat post / clamp).
It’s been 30 days now. :sweat_smile:

How does it feel when having an UPD to the front?
I already felt the handles gripping my trousers at this short distance of the saddle. Not sure if I’m happy about that…

1 Like

Well it never feels good! But in regards to the t-bar, no issues. On my 29 and 36 with the longer t-bar sometimes my legs hit, but with the shorter setup on the 27.5 nothing has hit.

For the record, I was looking at the wrong video :slight_smile:
But I’m relieved. I was worried that after perhaps a year or so of semi-frequent riding I was having trouble riding 23% grade, while this guy who’s been riding for 25 hours can ride a 100%+ grade on a 27.5"… (edit: it was a 28% grade, not 23%, my mistake).

It’s still insane, to do a 40%, just slightly less embarrassing for me :smile:

A 100% grade is 45 degrees. A 50% grade is 22.5 degrees - you get the point.

I would use the handle position in your picture for longer XC rides because it’s comfortable to hold with both hands and lean on it, which helps with saddle soreness.

But for more technical stuff where you pull up to hop or go over bumps and drops, I like it as close to the seat as possible. If it’s too far out, then pulling up on the handle causes the seat to go back behind you. Then it’s kind of awkward to sit back down again.

For really technical rides where you pull a lot and saddle soreness isn’t even an issue, I’m not sure a t-bar is that much better than the default plastic handle on the seat.

The Mad4One saddle handle is great for that as you have solid purchase with either (or both) hands anywhere along its length.

1 Like

Maybe I should wear less baggy trousers then, because it actually dragged the uni under me during the UPD and that’s not fun :sweat_smile:

I never wanted to give the impression that I could ride better than you. I know I have sufficient strength to climb much steeper stuff, but I simply don’t have the technique (yet) to use that strength :wink:

That’s a very easy explanation, will keep that in mind :smiley: But what if something is 49,5 degrees? do you then say 110%?

Yeah, I kinda figured that as well, but I had to try it for myself :wink:
I just ordered the Mad4One Handlesaddle (M with Muni finish) which might be an improvement to the plastic handle since I have the feeling the plastic handle isn’t grippy enough and feels a bit weak, especially when pushing down on it.

Nice. My m41 came with the handlesaddle but size S which I would not recommend. Size M looks a lot more suitable. I like some things about that saddle, and dislike some too. Worth trying to see if it works for you.

1 Like

I only ever ride with cycle pants or jeans, so there’s nothing loose or dangling to get caught on saddles or tbar…

1 Like

It took me a while to shorten my bar setups. I didn’t want to cut off length then decide later on it was a bad idea. But, I’m guessing, for the type of riding you want to do, the current setup is too long (and maybe pointed up too much?). It will take a lot of experimentation to get your bar setup “dialed in”. Be patient.

Oh, not at all :slight_smile:
I wouldn’t be concerned even if you were. I was just kidding, and also impressed at the riding.

If an angle is above 45 degrees, then yes, it is a 110% grade (or whatever the number is).

1 Like

I’m not patient :sweat_smile:
But riding without the handlebar goes better as well now I’ve figured out that I can push and pull on the handle:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJd9j8DhaZW/

I am confused. Did you install the T-bar, then uninstall it?

You can also cut the T-bar more narrow, some Muni riders did.

And a small advise for the QX saddle, the yellow stiches rub, but you can cut them open and pull them out which makes the saddle smooth. I didn’t had any rubbing problems since then. But don’t wait too long, the longer you use the saddle the harder it is to pull them out. And no worries the saddle still holds perfectly with out them.

1 Like

I’ve not had rubbing problems with them so far, but over time, they seem to slightly disappear anyway, expecially at the back.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve used it at various angles and lengths just to get a feel for it, but it felt like the more control it gave in one motion, the more control in another motion decreased.
Since I had an “aha” moment just the day before at the end of the session, I wanted to know what the difference would be with just the “aha”-thing, and therefore I uninstalled it again.
Riding went quite well, therefore I’ll leave it off for now, but I will definitely install it again in the future to see how it feels when I spend more time with it.

Might be worth keeping in mind.

The seat doesn’t really bother me though, perhaps the rubbing also helps in gripping the seat?

I like to ride with just one layer of shorts in summer and it rubbed pretty badly while unipacking the first time in Scotland after 2 days. But with 2 layers I didn’t felt it anymore, but that’s not a nice option for me in the summer.

:thinking: Probably. But I didn’t noticed a significant difference, after removing.