Combining different brands into a single Muni

Yes, I’ve used it at various angles and lengths just to get a feel for it, but it felt like the more control it gave in one motion, the more control in another motion decreased.
Since I had an “aha” moment just the day before at the end of the session, I wanted to know what the difference would be with just the “aha”-thing, and therefore I uninstalled it again.
Riding went quite well, therefore I’ll leave it off for now, but I will definitely install it again in the future to see how it feels when I spend more time with it.

Might be worth keeping in mind.

The seat doesn’t really bother me though, perhaps the rubbing also helps in gripping the seat?

I like to ride with just one layer of shorts in summer and it rubbed pretty badly while unipacking the first time in Scotland after 2 days. But with 2 layers I didn’t felt it anymore, but that’s not a nice option for me in the summer.

:thinking: Probably. But I didn’t noticed a significant difference, after removing.

I don;t think most people ride the distances that you do. I’m definitely not going to do that :sweat_smile:
Just as with biking, rock climbing (bouldering) and now unicycling, I love the really technical challenges. Solving problems instead of endurance (or just packing / trekking)
That said I can easily have workouts of 2 hours in a row without resting, but the focus is completely different.
Just watched the new muni video that got released today and immediately noticed that freewheel that you’re riding there. Could you tell the team at QX to speed up the process? - I want one! :smiley:

1 Like

I’d love to speed that up, however, bike-business is rather massively slowing down everything currently :frowning:

4 Likes

That’s too bad! I already searched (and found) another freewheel for a unicycle, but tbh I just want to get a good one right away. Any idea when it will hit the market? (I’m happy to buy a prototype as well if you have one :grinning:)

we have two prototypes in testing - Becky and Florian are doing a great job in this. Sorry, telling a date would not be serious, I’ll be glad to do so, once I the roadmap is clear!

6 Likes

In it’s current setup (just installed 170mm e-mtb cranks) it weighs 5,98kg

I learned a lot about unicycling through experimenting with different crank sizes. You made a good argument for the shorter cranks you initially installed. I am guessing the 170mm cranks are going to feel pretty messed up after riding on the shorter ones, att least at the beginning.

We’ll see. did a quick test yesterday and it feels much more responsive. I tried to mimic the same effect as my 19" trials uni has so I can ride down brakeless. So far it seems to work good, but it also has a bigger Q-factor (177mm) with these cranks. Not a bad thing persé, but it’s different. Will do some tests today and see how it goes :wink:

170mm cranks on a muni ? That’s so 2010… :smile:

3 Likes

So glad I’ll just do my own thing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - But I spoke to Ryan Kremsater about his setup, and I’ve installed the @jaco_flans T-bar again, but this time with a few modifications (cut the width down to 12cm and the length a bit as well). Now this makes much more sense in terms of control and I reinstalled the 137mm cranks again (no need for the additional control of the 170mm cranks).
It really starts to feel solid now. Will put up a video of my ride today with this setup later on. :wink:

EDIT: Here’s the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9Cjn8BtTP/

Again made a small mod this evening, so I will have something new to test again tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes

Ha Ha, My first home made 24" muni has 180mm cranks to get my butt up hills, it is 12 yr old now and hanging in garage for posterity. It was like running.

1 Like

I’d go back another decade to the Profile era for 170s.

I didn’t like 170mm cranks when I first tried them, but they do have their place. I really liked the 160s I had on my first custom muni wheel in 2008.

Hey Eric, Did we meet in San Diego that year or later at Johns house for another Muni weekend?

Finally it has become almost like I had envisioned it from the start:

Spec list top to bottom:

• Mad4One HandleSaddle M with Muni finish
  • Shimano Zee with KH Starfighter
  • Mad4One XXL Seatpost
  • Mad4One 3B-Double Clamp
  • Mad4One Muni Frame M
  • Onza Canis 27.5x2.85 Skinwall
  • Qu-Ax #RGB 27.5 rim (45mm/38.6mm)
  • Shimano XT Icetech 180mm rotor
  • Shimano Zee Caliper with Icetech raisin pads
  • Qu-Ax Qu-Axle hub
  • Qu-Ax ZeroQ-Axle 137mm cranks
  • Qu-Ax Cross Pedal Nylon

All that’s still left:

• Rimpact tire insert with tubeless setup.
    I’ve tried that today, but the tape I bought (Specialized 2bliss) wasn’t making the rim tubeless enough therefore I’m looking at an alternative. From there on it should be able to handle anything you throw at it :wink:
4 Likes

Interesting combo. Also, if it ever gets stolen and turns up for sale, we’ll know it is yours! :wink:

1 Like

I once had a unicycle go missing at a music festival and I called the cops to let ask them to keep their eye out for it when doing spot checks on people leaving the site.

When asked to describe the unicycle I told the dispatcher it was a unicycle with a custom paint job, translucent purple/grey over alien faces (Alien Backflip frame) with silver cranks with holes in them (Drilled out KH Moments), white plastic petals (Flexation I think, can’t actually remember), a rare Monty Eagle Claw 19x2.6 tire, Red and black saddle (trimmed down KH Fusion), Salsa fliplock seatpost clamp, a Nimbus hub, and Echo rim.

Then they asked if there were any distinguishing features.

I eventually got it back, it was picked up by some people who thought that their friend left their unicycle behind.

1 Like

I stayed at Johns house that weekend. I think that was the year I was riding with the 26" wheel in the 36" frame. I took your unicycle for a quick spin around a parking lot at a trail head it kind of felt like riding a magic carpet.

“Yes, and it only has one wheel.”