College Dorm + Unicycle Limitations

i dont go to colage (only 15) But i do often go the the pocanos and would love to ride with you guys if thats ok

! I didnt even think of that. Well I go home on the week ends so its not that bad for me. I’m going to the Williamson Free Trade School.

Hey thats not far from half of SWAT. Maybe we can ride sometime. I just remembered Swarthmore college is like 10 mintutes away max.

I dont know how much I’ll be avalible though.

Ben, I’m going to East Stroudsburg University, right on the Delaware Water Gap… that site is making me drool. I can’t wait to go check that place out.

Dave

Why not just get something like this? Rough Sketch:

Hey,

I had no problems with my unicycle at college. My roomate (which he was only with me for first semester, then I had the winter to practice in my room all by myself) was initially like, “What the?” But, he became cool when I showed him clips and pictures on the internet, because I couldn’t really demonstrate trials in our room or the hallway.

Drunk and high people beware of when riding a college campus, and especially around these crazy cretins called “freshmen.” My school is a big time party school, and I had a few annoying trashed people try to ride my uni. I also had some try to tip me over by holding my arm as I was riding forward around a group of them coming down the sidewalk–and the kid announced after he let go, “Whoa! He didn’t fall over!”

I have been told to not ride in the halls. Heck I rode trials in the little lounges when I got angry enough about not being able to go out during the winter months. --One night, practically everyone on the floor, while arms stretched using both walls as bracing, tried to ride down the hall. That was fun, and entertaining!

As far as storage? We had lofts with desks under them. So I kept it, my trials, easily between the edge of my desk, and the legs of my loft. It didn’t take up much space. Three unicycles might be a squeeze with a roommate, but one is no problem. It also makes a great conversation piece.

No bikes in building? I had that rule too! Nobody ever said a thing to me! Heck, there are kids with really decked out BMX or Freeride MTB’s, and they aren’t about to leave them outside roped to a bike rack! You couldn’t pay me enough to leave my trials tied to one. People would tamper with it.

Later,
Evan

Thanks for the advice Evan… I would never consider chaining my uni outside either…

unicyclepa, talk to me on AIM

Me and my roommate had 5 unicycles between us in a pile in the corner. Just make sure to scrub the tire marks off the walls at the end of the year. The Clorox disinfectants work well.

you could try to get your roomate into unicyclin, then you’d have no problems. I got a single room this year and I’m seriously considering one of those outdoor bike racks in my room for the uni’s. I think the unis below the Loft is a good idea

I hang them on the windowsill by the door:

build a loft and store your uni(s) on top of it when you aren’t sleeping. if you keep the tires fairly clean this shouldn’t be much of a problem with dirt. or keep your laundry baskets up there and keep your unis where you’d keep laundry. pull them down when you need to bed for sleep or other “activities”. you could also move the couch a foot from the wall and stash a few unis behind there.

What you could do is “hang” a net or like a hammock from the ceiling using a lot of duct tape. You could do some test and see if it would enough weight. Another option is depending on the dorm arrangement put it in the bathroom or under the sink.

From experience, I highly suggest you dont duct tape a hammock anywhere, it isn’t smart.

e39m5

There are a few things I did to solve this problem, in alot of college dorms they have drop celings, While these are not that strong to hang from a single point if you buy a 2x4 and put some hooks in it move the tiles of the celing out of the way and simply rest the board along the metal drop celing grid. I held a bike and 2 unicycles like this one year at school out of the way.

Another option is to simply do what you like and drill some holes into the celing or wall, so long as you fix it with some putty by the end of the year no one will really care. I suggest instead of putting hooks directlly into the wall again you use a 2x4 or some other scrap of wood and attach that, as the holes you make will most likely be smaller and easier to hide.

Good luck with the whole college thing, just dont worry too much about stuff like this, you guys are smart and will find easy solutions for it.

That’s a great idea, Mazem. I think I’ll do that next year. :slight_smile:

if you do put holes in the wall, use toothpaste the color of the paint to ‘hide’ the holes… my parents did it to hang stuff when they went to college and brought it up once…

I had my trials and coker up there, wasn’t a big deal.

Someone should come to the University of Texas, that would be sweet!

I’m moving to Austin in August. We should def. go ride sometime.

More unicyclists in Austin? Fantastic. I think we have a newsletter you should try to find that because I’m far too lazy to do it.

When I lived in the dorms each wing of the residence had a bike room on the bottom floor. The room was just filled with bike racks so you could hang them up. I thought bike rooms where a common thing in dorms. Maybe you should check if there are some in your dorms.

When I was in residence I only had one uni so I was able to store in under my bed no problem.

Roman

You could be really original and use proper hole repairing stuff. It’s polyphilla over here, and I know from my Bill Bryson that there’s something similar over the pond, but I can’t remember the name. That hides the holes, isn’t that expensive (compared to toothpaste - obviously, if you had something that can fix holes and give you minty fresh breath you’d charge more for it), and if it gets noticed you can say that you were trying to do a proper job of repairing the damage, being such a kind and public spirited person.

John