Coker Discussion Thread

Thanks everyone for comments on tire pressure. Sounds generally the same as my experience on those two-wheeled contraptions; up to a point higher pressure sounds generally better for road riding. So the Nightrider Tire is on my wish list.

I run the Nightrider tire at 60-65 psi with a Schwalbe 29-er tube… LOVE IT!

I ride about 10-30 miles a week and have yet to have any problems with this set-up after a couple hundred miles.

I am inclined to say that I would. But it also depends on the riding environment. I mostly cruise bike paths and relatively lightly-trafficked roads. If you’re riding in the center of town with people, dogs, driveways, etc., that’s the kind of place where longer cranks can make the difference in not running over someone’s toes.

Much of this is relative though. If you ride with 110s for a week or two, then 125s may feel just right for you. :slight_smile:

I never idle on my Cokers. It’s kind of a silly thing to do on one, since you have to do it in slow motion compared to smaller wheels, and it takes up a lot of space. Riding backwards is different; it’s more of a skill we do because we want to, not a necessary or functional riding mode. It still gets harder as the wheel gets bigger/heavier. I don’t really do any of that either.

But I was in a parade on Saturday, on my parade vehicle of choice; my 45" Unicycle Factory Big Wheel. It was on the narrow streets of Davis, CA and during one of the many long stops along the route, I just stopped and did a slow-motion idle. That is, a regular-speed idle, which just looks ridiculously slow on a large wheel. You have to make sure nobody’s walking/riding behind you when you’re doing it.

I also ride backward in the parades sometimes, but not very much. Even after 28 years with the thing, and 165mm cranks, I need lots of room to not look bad. I have seen people ride backward quite well on 40" wheels like mine; specifically Wayne Haines, who did frontspin-backspins and other really pretty moves. It just takes specific practice on learning those moves at the speed of the larger wheel.

I found the Unicycle Factory 42" much easier to idle than a Coker. The thin tire swivels like a freestyle unicycle.

After finding that I can now idle as well on the 114’s as I could when starting on 150’s I’ve given some thought to the idea that if I could get good enough at idling the 36" it might actually be useful at some stoplights. If I can keep my balance well enough (still-stands help) then it does use less energy.

I don’t find idling to be usefull at all on a coker, I just do a lot of little bounces on the pedals. Not enough to really jump with the unicycle but just enough to give me the balance control that hoping gives me. I find that if you look far enough ahead of you and you ride like something might pop out in front of you then you can stop easily enough at lights or intersections. Even on hills(except when you just let loose on the hills and go fast) with shorter cranks.

I switched to the 125mm holes on my cranks today. It was really tough and I definitely felt like I had less control. I was able to climb the hills that I climbed with my 150s but I had to work really hard and I was really unsteady.
It was harder to get rolling. i practically had to stand out of my seat to get the leverage to roll the tire so it took me a few tries to get started. Once rolling I didn’t dismount until the end of the ride. That was a good sign.
It has been really windy lately and today was no exception. It added to the unstable feeling but I’m holding the handles almost all the time now. I was 10 seconds faster on my 6km loop than I have ever been which isn’t much but it’s a start on new cranks. I did notice less chafing which was nice. I don’t know about going shorter but I will work on the 125s for a while to get used to them.
I am taking my 29er with 165s for a ride at lunch tomorrow. I’m curious to see how that will feel.

A good compromise between speed and power… 140’s

I’ve been wanting to try something between 125 and 150, but I just haven’t wanted it badly enough to spend the money.

I was dropping off the metal recycling yesterday, and there were 30 assorted bikes in various states of completeness. I saw a small kids “ten speed racer” and noticed that the cranks looked a little on the short side. On closer inspection they turned out to be 140’s. I brought the carcass home and pulled the cranks, sawed off the chainwheels, and fixed them to my Nightrider.

I love the 140’s. It’s a great compromise of spinning like 125’s, and leverage of 150’s. I feel like I have the control and the speed. I didn’t have a missed mount. I miss one in 5 mounts on my 125’s. Maybe after using them for a while I’ll feel better on the 125’s, but for now I’m pretty happy with the 140’s. I think I would still use the shorter cranks for a dedicated long ride on fairly flat terrain. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the 150’s.

Pix of the sawed off cranks

I should also add that if for no other reason I love square taper for crank availability.

_IGP6471.JPG

i really want a 36’’ after riding my 24’’ muni on a paved trail. I can almost keep up with runners with an agressive pedaling but I want to cruise… How fast is normal speed just riding along flat ground?

Finally got a brake…

This past week I got my new disc brake installed on my Nimbus Titan 36er. I’ve wanted a brake since I got the uni in Feb, but I’m glad I waited until I got the set-up from Mountainuni.com. I have the 125/150 Sinz cranks with an Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic brake caliper. The brake is working great. I’ve only put about 40 miles on it so far, but a lot of that was steep hills, and it made a huge difference.

Mountainuni really did a professional job on their rotor and the mount welded on to my Nimbus with no problems.

Here are a few pics…

Haven’t seen “walrus” bars (T7 with drops) in a while. Before my T7 broke that is how I used it.

How do you like the brake lever where it is? It seems like it would want it mounted lower with a spooner like attachment or have the handle bent considerably more downward than you have it. I can’t see that being all that comfortable to use.

On second thought it keeps it out of the way of the lower hand position.

I find 10 mph to be a reasonable estimate. 8-9 for longer cranks or a newer rider. 11-12 for shorter cranks or a more seasoned rider.

And those are the speeds that would come naturally and not require any specific concentration.

I cruise comfortably around 10 mph without feeling like I’m pushing it. When I’m spinning like mad I am going 12+ mph. The shorter cranks make it much easier to spin fast without feeling like your bobbing around. I’ll have to see how the 140’s feel at higher speeds this weekend. I use a GPS to gauge speed, so it’s probably not the most accurate. Whenever I pass a speed check on the road it is right in line with my GPS which makes me think it’s good enough.

lever position

So far, I like the lever in the middle where it’s at. I’m able to use either hand to apply light pressure to slow down, or even pull from above to stop more quickly.

The bar ends have been working great too. In a upd they don’t catch my legs, and I like having another position to hold onto. They are Titec brand from REI, they were only $14. I’m still experimenting with everything, but the disc brake is definitely the best addition so far.

I cruise at about 12mph average on most rides, I run 114mm cranks though.

That sounds pretty accurate.

new uni on the way :D:D:D

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/commuter-touring/nimbus-nightrider-pro-36-isis-black.html

Recycled 140’s and Extended Pi-Bar

Agree…I got 140’s off an old kid’s bike I got for a dollar at a neighbor’s yardsale and use them on my 28er. Still use 150’s on Coker…may try 140’s.

Also, used a BMX seat post (off a junked Diamondback) to extend my Coker Pi-Bar. Feels strong and solid and is fully adjustable. Just put it together 3 days ago and instantly increased my speed by a couple mph. I prefer an upright position but am liking the extended and adjustable handle. Does feel more stable and bike-like.

NICE B-) you won’t be disappointed, that’s what I ride : )

on a separate exciting note!!! My addict saddle is on it’s way!!! :smiley: can’t wait!!

btw, did you get the double holed cranks? any other upgrades?

nah, just got ventures. but i got a pair of kh moment 125s im gonna put on there.

So I just discovered one problem with using a 29" tube on the 36" wheel. It pulls so tight, it eventually pulls into the inner side of the rim and gets punctures.

Is there any trick to easily putting a 29" tube in the 36"?