Clicking noise on KH24

Well I have taken it apart (again) and checked and double checked and still no luck. I cannot FEEL anything when riding, so I have decided to put my mind at rest and just ride it. If KHU figures it out great, not a big enough problem to ship it back or bother UDC about, so I am gonna just enjoy my bad@$$ unicycle and go on.

OK - I like turning up the radio idea. Some rock’n’roll should blend right in with the creaking hub.

Seriously, has anyone disassembled the hub to see if lubrication between the axel and hub splines might solve the problem? I’m on vacation in Santa Cruz right now and plan to ride Nisene Marks tomorrow, creaks and all, so I’m gonna see about tearing the hub apart when I get back home. If grease works on the cranks it seems like it ought to work inside the hub too.

Is KH working on a fix for this? I didn’t see any info on his website.

I know it may sound obvious but please don’t scoff at me when I suggest you check to see if the cranks are on the correct sides of your unicycle.

Cranks on correct side… tried on other side, just for shits and giggles and no better.

Hub/Axle Spline Interface

I’m home from Santa Cruz. Unloaded the uni and took it apart. I pulled a bearing on one side (with a puller). I’m going to attempt to attach pics that show metal flakes that have collected between the inside of the bearing inner race and the hub/axel spline interface. The shiny flecks of metal wipe off easily with a finger. I wiped about 1/2 of them off before taking pics. It looks to me like the shiny stuff (aluminum, I presume) is being shaved off in the process of work stress between the hub and the axle. That’s why the creaking only happens when the axle is loaded with work. Like standing on the pedals for more power when cranking, or when hopping up and down. If I ride smooth on flat ground with no force on the crank arms I have no creaking.

It looks to me like the hub metal is wearing away under load. The creaking noise is the indicator of that problem.

What I’m not sure of at this point is who to talk to about it. I bought the unicycle from UDC. Should I contact them or go directly to KH Unicycles?

KH24Uni Hub flakes 20100327W (4).JPG

KH24Uni Hub flakes 20100327W (3).JPG

KH24Uni Hub flakes 20100327W (2).JPG

KH24Uni Hub flakes 20100327W (5).JPG

Exactly what I told you in my previous mails based on Kris Holm feedback :roll_eyes:

With all due respect, you didn’t tell me how to address the problem or who to address it with. You did state (as above) that KH knows about it. Is he doing anything about it? Is UDC?

I do appreciate your feedback. At least there is awareness of the problem. The next step is who is fixing it, when are they fixing it, and how are they fixing it? I couldn’t find any feedback on those questions.

I’ll check with UDC first.

what I said :

I’not using latest KH2009/2010 hub spec but 2007 type, so I had no additional exchange with Kris about that.

Sorry but I cannot find the Email from Kris with the information ! You should contact him directly at kris@krisholm.com to have details about future improvements.

cheers.

Thanks for Kris’ email. I’ll check with him to see what’s up as far as repair / replacement.

Ellsworth… if you hear from Kris, post back and let me know… let Kris know there is more of us out here.

I’m curious - have you tried riding much after clearing out those shavings? If the noise stops after clearing out shavings, it might indicate that the shavings just came from initial metal break-in/mating, with subsequent noise from the shavings rubbing? So if you clear out the shavings then go without further issues, it may indicate you don’t have any further problem. Or, if the noise continues and you get more shavings, you’ve confirmed you’ve got a significant problem. Either way would probably be good info to have as you pursue communication with Kris.

I contacted UDC and have been working with Josh. He is pretty sure that it is a crank arm / axle spline interface problem stemming from spacing. I have a 4mm space inside of the bearings and a 6 mm spacer outside of the bearings (between the crank arm and the bearing). A millimeter or two on the spacing can make a difference. Based on conversations with Josh and measurements sent to him the recommendation is to send my wheelset back and have them take a look at it.

Concerning the metal shavings; Josh says that it is typical to have a few residual metal flakes when the hub is pressed onto the axle. That makes sense to me. I was looking for a possible trouble spot and jumped on something that looked like a possibility. The metal flakes are probably not the problem. I’ll keep this thread updated with info as I get it.

Well, bummer and PITA to have to send in the wheelset, but it’s encouraging to hear UDC is being responsive. I’ve had similar issues with other gear, and know how it can drive you crazy (regardless of my silly post earlier in the thread). Hope it works out, and it will be good to know how to fix this problem for others.

I got a phone message from UDC today telling me that they are sending a new wheelset out because the one I sent back for examination of the clicking / creaking noise was “out of tolerance”. I should be back in the saddle in a week or so.

I want to put a plug in for UDC. They’ve been very responsive and helpful.

Kris Holm Unicycles responded to my request for info on this problem. I was impressed with their attention too.

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. I got scattered out in several directions in my search for a solution, but I got there (I hope). I’ll know after a few rides on the new wheel / crank set.

Update on Clicking / Creaking noise from cranks

I’ve received my unicycle back from UDC. I’ve only ridden three times, but all is quiet and tight. A few more rides will tell, but I think it’s going to be ok. UDC and KH responded immediately to my concerns. I appreciate that. It turns out there was a tolerance issue with the manufacturer that has since been cleared up. I can’t ride for a while because I wrecked on my mtn *ike and sprung a rib. As soon as I can get back on I’ll wring 'er out good.

new hub still quiet?

Purchased a KH29 in Dec of 2010. Mine started clicking after 4 months. Store I purchased from wants to pull bearings and apply chain lube to axel. Not confident that will solve my problem long term.

clicking KH hub question

Has anyone tried pulling bearings with puller, applying triflow to axel then adding grease to hub? I was told this would repair the clicking hub noise. Mine is clicking after 4 months from purchase. Turn up music to drown out the terrible noise? Really? That is what I am faced with having to do?

See this thread: creaking

What do your bearing caps look like when they are on? How tight are they?

If the sound you hear is better characterized as “groaning” than “clicking”, there are several possible sources. The spokes rubbing against each other is one. I have not found lubrication to be effective for this but it can be remedied with nylon spacers (unfortunately you can’t buy these but must make your own) or by soldering the spokes together. A loose spline joint is another source. You can test this. See my YouTube OneFreeBrain videos “Unicycle Equipment Suggestions” and “Make a High-Torque Gear Puller Stabilizer”.