Can a cheaper muni be used for trials?

I found some affordable United Offroad unicycles on www.unicycle.com, and I would like to ask those of you with advanced experience, would these unicycles be able to withstand trials moves? (all the jumping and stuff), and would the tire on them be bouncy enough? Well…you set the questions, because obviously I don’t know enough about muni or trials to ask the correct questions. Anyway, please take a look at the link below and tell me what you think. Can these be used for trials riding? (I don’t know if you can click the text below or cut and paste, I’m not a computer guy.)http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&subcat=10&cat=United&L2=Rough+Terrain&L3=United :thinking:

Caveat:
Never having done any MUni (but buying on in Feb.) and only having done the slightest bit of “trials” on my freestyle uni, I really don’t think I fall into your category of “[one] with advanced experience.”

My argument for not using these unicycles for trials:

• the cheapest one in the list your link points to is for riders up to 130 lbs. and rated for 6-inch drops.
  • the most expensive ($179.99) can take a 160 lb. rider and 8-inch drops.
  • one of the unis in the middle can sustain 4-inches. No more.

I’d say these numbers alone would suggest they aren’t acceptable for trials. If you’re even planning to drop curbs, or do stairs, most of these obstacles are in the 6-8" range, which would be pushing it. That said, if you’re only 120 lbs., then I’m sure you could drop a little more than the suggested limit.

All that said, my arguments are number-based, as I have no experience with the aformentioned equipment to back my statements.

If I were to make a prediction, though, I think those more in the know will suggest you save up for something a little more sturdy.

Hope you figure something out.

Later,
Eli.

I wouldn’t get any of the United Models in that price range. You will out grow them too fast. Pay the extra and get the Yuni 24" with the GAzz 3.0 You will probably want a frame that takes the
3.0 tire and that’s the low end. You can get it with the Arrow tire, but I don’t know how it is for trials stuff. My guess is that it might fold over a lot on inclines, but I don’t have any experience.

If you do, substitute the bicycle euro cranks with the dotek 170 cranks. You will be more able to climb and get more stablility when hopping obstacles. You will also eventually need to dump the plastic odyssey pedals. They are good to learn on, but when you get more active, they are slippy. Maybe replace them with steel more grippy pedals.

Welcome to buying a Muni. YOu will start low, but realize, the you will have to pay more than you realize if you want to get into the sport. You will be happy you paid the extra bucks for the Yuni.

I had a Sem XLW with the 2.6 gazz on it. Nice, but I like the 3.0 tire on my one of a kind Spicer frame much better.

Wider is better

In my opinion I would say its not worth it. The united muni has no wheel upgrades other than a 2.1" knobby tire. I think you would be just as well off with your current unicycle and buying a dirt tire for it. If you want a cheap trials uni, as I did last june for $220ish
you can get this one
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=526

It has the Monty trials tire and rim on it with Lasco cranks and a viscount saddle. I persoanally love this uni, it is light and great for trials. You can also upgrade it as you learn. I have done many 3 foot drops and the monty rim can handle it. Although I cant say the same about the Lasco cranks. I switched them out after they broke for Bicycle Euro’s.

Best of luck

Mike

Can a cheaper muni be used for trials?

The answer is yes. But for how long? Before there were Trials unicycles, and before anyone had thought of the sport of Unicycle Trials, people were still riding over things and jumping on and off things. But for the most part, if you did that a lot, your unicycle would eventually break. Usually in the more difficult areas, mainly the cranks (easy fix) and the axle (hard/expensive fix).

Please note that when Unicycle.com puts drop ratings on products, these can only be ballpark figures. Most any unicycle can probably survive a 10’ drop, once. Maybe. It’s not how much you weigh, it’s not how far you drop. Though those are factors, the main thing that decides the lifespan of your unicycles and parts is how hard you land. Some riders can land from the top of a car like a cat, while others land like a ton of bricks coming off a curb.

I know lightweight riders who are always having breakage problems, and big, heavy riders who’ve been on the same unicycle for years. It’s a very personal thing.

So this doesn’t help you choose a unicycle, I know. Here’s some more useful information. The activity of Trials unicycling is essentially the act of pounding on your unicycle. Lots of hopping, dropping, and odd forces placed on the cycle, especially if you do grabs. To buy a uni with an ordinary width tire doesn’t make any sense for Trials. The first thing you probably want is a wide tire. Second, strong axle & cranks.

If you only plan on doing Trials occasionally, you may be able to get by with an ordinary cycle. But by doing Trials on it you are increasing the chances of a premature failure of your wheel or other parts.

Hope that’s useful!

the Summit is the only cheaper Trials uni that will last awile.save for that.

I agree with John 100%. I’m still a newbie to this as I’m just rounding the corner of my first year with this obsession. However, I have come to fully appreciate the dynamics of trials. Everything is a component that needs to be explored and capitalized on in putting together a more enduring trials uni. Everything – from the landing surface, the tire, the rim, the lacing pattern, hub, etc. Getting back to one of John’s points that is the most overlooked is the technique of the rider. When I first started I was hammering my poor, little Savage with every 6” drop-off at the end of the block. Through the coaching of this forum I realize this and began to look at my form as to why I broke three lolly-pop design frames in three weeks. Dropping is such a dynamic event that all parts of it have to be deconstructed and maximized. I have come to build all uni wheels (that might be used to take the abuse of a drop) with 4-cross lacing and choose frame/tire that will give the largest air cushion and, perhaps the most important part, think like a butterfly when landing; be gentle and let your body absorb the impact.