Broken CF seat base

well i just finished installing my cf base today, and i definateley do not want it to break, but i dont think it will.

question: how many of us have cf bases? and what brands? kh/udc, scott wallis, miyater sp?

At my school we have 6 cf bases out of not very many riders… so id say that quite a few people have cf bases.

WOW! We don’t even have that many in our entire country, well as far as I know anyways.

For the seatpost stiffener as someone mentioned, make it like Cody’s. From the post up to the handle.

“Stiff Stick”? Is that what Evan was talking about when he said “reinforcment post”?
I personally don’t like that as a solution, but I guess its one way around the problem.
I will buy another CF base shortly, but still thinking about other options in the interim.

:thinking:
Like in his Koxx-breaker vid

Yeah, those things are dumb imho. The might work, but they just don’t suit me. H

well, they make the base flex less the CF, and they are crazy strong.

can you buy them some place? or are they a homemade thing?

I don’t think so.

the bad thing about those posts is you can only lower them so much.

It depends on how you make them, more specificly where you attatch the reinforment post on the seat post. 'Higher up, the lower your seat can go.

but wouldnt they be more prone to bendenge the higher up they are?

More likley yes, But still very very unlikley.

This thread has shifted topic, larl. Anyways, people who use “stiff stick” or similar, have you noticed stress being transferred from the seat to the frame?

This is obviously going to happen from this sort of reinforcment, although the effect could vary. When Cody snapped his torker cx frame for instance, that can hardly be blamed on the seatpost, because torker don’t have the best reputation as far as frame build quality goes.

My worry would be that doing this to a cheap seatpost to reinforce a cheap seatbase could, in the long run, destroy an expensive (in comparison) KH frame.

I won’t be doing this type of reinforcment any time soon, and regardless of whether I like the design or not, I would rather shell out $140NZ for a new CF base when I manage to break one than to pay $250NZ for a new frame.

It also seems that nobody has tried to mod a UDC classic saddle, to add a handle. Is the UDC classic saddle anywhere near as strong as the Viscount? It seems like a cheap way to get a strong saddle if it is.

Cody rides a very high seat so there was a lot of post still under the reinforcement. So instead of doing damage to the seat it was all on the seat post and he bent it right under where the reinforcement is welded. So I think it is very possible to damage a frame especially with a 27.2 post. The one that I am thinking of that Cody bent was a 25.4 so the bigger post would be stronger and more force would go to the frame. I would definitely not use it on an aluminum frame.

They would probably be mostly fine in a Nimbus II trials frame tho, has anyone ever broken one of those things (other than a rusted through or neglected one)?

Reinforment post and koxx or nimbus/yuni frame would be your best bet.

Why would it put more force on the frame compared to a stiff CF seat? Both would transfer a similar moment force to the frame if you landed hard on the nose of the saddle. The CF might have more flex and give to absorb some of the force, but it’s a similar force transmitted nonetheless.

The important bit is to have enough seatpost inserted in the frame so you don’t damage the upper clamping area part of the frame. The KH frames have a short neck so if you raise the seat too high you can easily end up with too little seatpost in the frame and damage the frame that way.

One thing you might do with the “stiff stick” style of reinforcement would be to put some rubber or some sort of elastomer between the stiff stick and the nose of the saddle. That would give the saddle some more give and lessen the amount of force transfered to the frame.

Yeah, thats logical too :stuck_out_tongue:

Heheh, I have tried to make reinforcments on alu posts…ended pretty messy lol, they just dont seem to help at all. But as pence said it did take the stress off of the brackets that I kept bending and of fthe seat base, but it put it all dead center of my seat post causeing mt to “bannana” many steel posts…