Boston Unicyclists

Thanks for the info Toh, this seems pretty cool :slight_smile:

I will have to see if I can make it (and if I can get my hands on a tent :wink: ).

Hi everybody,

a small bump and some news.

I haven’t had the time to plan an evening ride for those who want to join (even though I would love to ride more).

Anyway, I tried a new formula with young friends of mine that start to ride MTB and went for a ride in the Middlesex Fells Reservation and we had a great time.

I am planning to do next session on Sunday, June 23rd (tentative date). If I follow next session, it will be a ride starting at 9am. It is slow paced as they are beginners and they are training on some accessible features available on the bike loop. So there is no stress to have riding a unicycle :slight_smile:

I will post some more information when available (mainly date & time confirmation along with the parking spot).

Let me know if you have questions or if you want to join but are nit available at this specific date :slight_smile:

I should be able to make June 23. Sounds like a fun time

The Middlesex ride sounds great. It looks close enough that I will try to talk the unicycling part of my family head down from Maine. From the images online it looks like a variety of trails - from single track to paves - for the new 36 riders like me.

For virtual look at the trails at Middlesex. Some look challenging others easy.

Be careful that out of the many trails found in the Fells, only one is open to bike riding. And this bike loop is mostly a fire road with a couple of single track fun spots.

Glad you liked the idea. I will try to do my homework properly and give you all the details (meeting spot) at least 1 week in advance :stuck_out_tongue:

Fells trails policies

The only trail that is “off limits” to wheeled traffic is the white loop. It’s also the most technically challenging and most fun to ride for advanced MUni. Whether you play the card of " I’m not on a bicycle" therefore those rules don’t apply to me" is your call. There IS a Fells ranger out on the main fire-roads from time to time, but he is far more concerned about protecting the water supply for 5 surrunding towns, than trying to keep a Unicyclist off a designated hiking trail. Personally, I’m less inclined to follow a bike/hike policy, when there was no formal input from cyclists (1 or 2 wheeled) regarding said policy… I have years of riding under my belt at the Fells, a great area just 8 Mi north of Boston!

+1. It is a great spot and for sure I haven’t ventured on other trails that the official “bike loop”.

More info on the location: I will try and park on the east side of the big chunk of the Fells (the big green spot on the left side of the 93 when you look at a map).

You can find below two screenshots from Bing Maps.

My target is to be at the parking lot at 9am and start riding north on the bike loop (to ride the complete loop counter-clockwise).

FELLS-Global-view_parking-lot_east-side.png

I was hoping to make it to the ride this Sunday but it’s looking unlikely; family matters are getting in the way. It looks like the weather will be perfect!

Sam

Last minute update :

I don’t know if some were planning to join but I will park at the south border road parking lot and will ride the bike loop clockwise.

I should be there and start riding around 9:30am.

Even without the update, we’ll meet on the trail :slight_smile:

Met up with Remy and Ludo doing the bike loop at Middlesex Fells Reservation. A great time, despite my extremely limited muni abilities.

Thanks Leeway for the pics :slight_smile:

It was a nice hot day that was saved by shade and a nice breeze. I was very happy to have you in the ride even though it was at the last 1/4th of the loop :smiley:

I am sure next time the ride will be longer and safer for your calf :wink:

If the weather is still nice next Sunday, I will go and ride there again with some friends that couldn’t come last Sunday.

It will be same meeting spot (North-East parking lot), same direction (clockwise on bike loop) and about the same time (9am or so).

Stay tuned…

Are you still near Boston?

Hello all of you!

I moved to Boston 1 year ago, have been riding Lynn woods on 26" Nimbus muni, and Swampscott and Revere foreshores on my 36" nimbus Titan, and Salem rail trail.

I would love to hook up with other riders in the area for group rides.

I know the most recent post here is from Sep 2010, but I am sure hoping you are still around.

I have just recently joined unicyclist.com, have made contact with 1 other rider Brian O.

Best Regards,

Mark

The pics posted by Leeway right above are slightly more recent (2013 :wink: ).

OMG - Reverse chronological order!

I told you I just joined and am learning the ropes! How embarrassing…

That looks like it was a great ride - when is the next one?

I did the Swampscott foreshore again this morning on the 36", will do Lynn woods tomorrow.

M

Err, just chronological, actually

D’oh!

Middlesex Fells Reservation on Sunday, Sept. 22

Anyone interested in riding the bike loop at Middlesex Fells Reservation on Sunday, Sept. 22? NEMarkS and I are set to go. We could follow the same plan proposed by Siddharth Valmont earlier in this thread (from 2013-06-12): Park on the east side of the big chunk of the Fells (the big green spot on the left side of I-93 seen on the map from the June 12 post). Meet in the parking lot at 9 a.m. and start out north on the bike loop to ride the complete loop counter-clockwise (or clockwise, depending on if anyone has a strong preference). Hope to see you there.

I will have to check my availability but it is a nice ride :slight_smile:

My suggestion is to ride the loop clockwise to face most of the trickiest part at the beginning and have an end of ride smooth and quiet exactly at the peak of exhaustion ;o))

Awesome

Thanks Sid! Looking forward to the ride and meeting you and leeway283 and whoever else can come along.

I do a regular 3+ miles in Lynn woods, has a steep hike near the start, but lots of “candy” through the forest after that, although I am usually too tired to get up some of the hills I am sure I could do if I was fresh, so I walk up those too.

Best Regards everyone,

Mark

Good news: I am available for the next ride (Sept. 22nd).

As both of you are riding 26in muni, it will be time for me to finally try the Fells with my 26 :smiley:

Note to NEMarkS: the bike loop is about 7 miles long and it makes for a 3h ride (2h for riding + 1h for the breaks and nice spots retry). So do not be shy on the water you will bring :wink: