BMX question brings up unicycling

Here’s a question that came up in the tech question section of online BMX Plus Magazine (look here).

Q. what is the most important part on your bike???
bbauger5@hotmail.com - 12/1/2003 10:30:17 AM

A. Your front wheel. Otherwise it would be a Unicycle and then your question would be meaningless.

Re: BMX question brings up unicycling

i’m trying to figure out if the answerer was trying to diss unicycling or if he/she truly ‘understands’?
:thinking:

Re: Re: BMX question brings up unicycling

I think he was just being clever… if you look at the rest of the Q and A’s you’ll see the tone.

Calm down, he’s exactly correct in the answer he gives.

What is the most important part of your *BIKE?

A bike can only be a BIcycle (except if the term is stretched through laziness or for humorous effect).

The bicycle is only one sub species of the cycle.

The bicycle is defined by its second wheel, or, to be precise, by having exactly 2 wheels, unlike a unicycle, tricycle, quadricycle, pentacycle, hexacycle heptacycle, octacycle, nonocycle, decacycle, etc.

The important wheel is the DRIVEN one. Without a driven wheel, the bicycle would not work. Therefore, the front wheel is the optional one. Remove the front wheel, and the BIcycyle becomes a sort of unicycle. Therefore the answer is correct.

Remove the seat, or handlebars, or one pedal, or one brake, and it remains a bicycle. Remove the front wheel and it is no longer a bicycle.

Tcha! Young people of today…

;0)

Sounds like SOMETHING’s being driven… are your demons at it again, Mike?

Sorry, I won’t let it happen again…

Haha thats Awesome

If that answer is correct, that means most of the discussions on this forum are about meaningless stuff (such as what kind of tire to buy)…

As I say to a fencing opponent after I’ve made an unsuccessful lunge, “You’ve missed my point.”

Unicycling is every bit as meaningful/less as bicycling. A question about components of bicycles becomes meaningless if its answer entails that the bicycle is no longer a bicycle. You might as well ask, which is the loudest musical instrument when it isn’t being played. That doesn’t make music meaningless.

logic haha

Re: BMX question brings up unicycling

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:03:05 -0600, Mikefule
<Mikefule@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>What is the most important part of your *BIKE?

>The important wheel is the DRIVEN one.

So what is it? The front wheel or the driven wheel?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

What is the world coming to when off-road unicycling is seen as conformist? - Phil