Biggest miles in one go

I did 60 kilometers (37 miles) on hilly road in appr. 3 hours with my 29" :yum:
That’s my best in only one ride , I’m trying to do better :hot_face: but now, it’s time to lockdown in France :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :mask:

1 Like

Time to work on new skills! :smiley:

yes :rage:
still stand, still stand and… still stand :grin:

280km in 24h on a 26" Unicycle

It was a cold day at the end of October 1991 with a very uncomfortable saddle. Oldies will still know this saddle with the steel bracket and the protruding screw threads

1 Like

Ahhh, yes this is probably the way I did my fastest 1 hour as well. In 2012 I competed in the Dousseldorf marathon and completed in 1:31:34. I believe that gives about 27.5km. No where near what Jena did.

1 Like

Really digging Jena’s handlebar setup. That’s super impressive, glad to see all these records getting broken.

I’d say my furthest day rides have been:
5 miles (8 km) on a 20er
14 miles (22.5 km) on a 24er
27 mi (43.4 km) on a 29er
62 mi (99.7 km) on a 36er (practically a metric century if that’s a thing).

In an hour it’s tough to say. From what I remember my technical recorded best is
7.5 mi (12km) on a 29er
11 mi (17.7) on a 36er

Most of these were while carting a bunch of stuff but I don’t imagine I’ve gone much faster. Just keeping it casual. That being said, great stuff from everyone else. Very impressive. And thank you Andrew for translating

2 Likes

It’s just a century.

My one hour times are
16km on a 29"
19,8 on a 36"

I think I can do more with a concentrated effort.

I think that if people say century, it would usually mean 100 miles, so it’s not quite proper to call 100 km a century…

The world is metric so 100km should be a century.
Basically the US is the odd country out.

5 Likes

Wait, we Canadians did something right??!?!?

:wink: I keep forgetting that the US is abnormal in that respect. Disregard what I said up there, Brian :slight_smile:

Don’t forget us brits!

We love our metric, but also love our distances in miles.

As a French guy, I still don’t understand why people use the imperial system. I mean, there is nothing logical in this system. How can someone remember that a mile is 1760 yards or 5280 feet or 63360 inches? That’s pretty hard.
I’m curious about how Americans and Brits do remember these definitions. If someone can help me… :slight_smile:

I always thought the distance thing in miles was a bit of a mad thing and every day Brits didn’t really want it!

But maybe I’m wrong. I’m just going off a German family, they moved to Scotland for a while. They were allowed to register their left hand drive car to use in Scotland (which drives on the left!), but they had to change their speedometer to be miles while in the UK in order to register it. If it was an electronic display, it wouldn’t have been an issue, but it wasnt…

1 Like

And mass in stone.

1 Like

On the whole the younger generation of Brits don’t. I don’t know off the top of my head how big a mile is in any other units. An inch being 25.4mm and 100km being ~62 miles is about the only conversion I remember.

Again, less so with the younger generation. Growing up I had a weight in stone but now I only remember my weight in kg. It does annoys my gf a bit when I change the units every time I use the scales (she still uses stone and lbs).

1 Like

It is not about what makes sense, it is about what people learned/know and the resistance to change. Just like all over world, different languages and many other differences. It would make sense if we all used the same system for all things world wide. Maybe given time, then we can have a 914.4 mm road unicycle instead if a weird 36" one.

3 Likes

Meet the Canadians, who learn both (and how to change between them, of course) in school - well, at least, some of us did.
I could recite the 5280 feet-to-mile thing, though we never officially learnt inches to miles (unnecessary to say the least :slight_smile:). The other main thing I learnt and practiced in school was 2.54 centimeters equals 1 inch.
As for remembering them… you just do. Like 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, there’s no memory trick, you just learn it.
I now use metric for distance above feet (meters and beyond) and imperial for all weight.

1 Like

I’m a fan of metric, but you have to admit it’s an abstract system. Customary units made a lot of sense when communication between communities was less free-flowing than today. You could point to a real physical object and say “about that big”.

Some fun customary units:

5 Likes

That was my main idea. I know some habits are hard to change even when it can probably be good for everyone in exchange for some re-learning/little effort. I’m still pretty young and I believe in a perfect world wherein everyone could talk to and understand their neighbour. :upside_down_face:
Thanks for your replies :slight_smile: