Biggest miles in one go

If we could start with accepting the neighbors, that would be a start!
And when it comes to understanding, shame Esperanto never really picked up as an alternative language.

2 Likes

It’s a bit off-topic, but Esperanto is a great and easy-to-learn language. I had started to learn it a few years ago. It has some flaws but it’s a good starting point! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My record is 15 km in an hour, and my biggest road was 200 km. All of these records were made at 25 years, so you’re never too old, haha. I’m now more interested in speed, so I’ve been researching Disc wheel vs Deep Section and I’m even thinking about investing in a disc wheel sometime this year. It’s been on my bucket list for long enough so I think it’s finally time to get a little money out of the pocket for it. I’m trying to go by the philosophy that if something makes you happy, you should be aware that you only live once to be able to pursue it. Do any of you here use a disk wheel by chance?

Was this on open roads, and how long did it take you?

I really rather fancy riding the whole of the Leeds to Liverpool canal (UK) in one day, which is 127 miles (~200km).

I did it pretty slowly over two days a few years back as a charity ride, but although the surface is pretty iffy in places, I’d like to do it all in one go.

2 Likes

WOW, you impressed me a lot. Good luck!

I don’t mind inches as long as it no less than a ½. Working with fractions is just clumsy. Yards and miles are just slightly different to meters and kilometres. Same with nautical miles.
I don’t really fancy feet, though :rofl: :upside_down_face:

My longest in one go, (stops for food and “comfort breaks” included) was 71 miles last year on my 65th birthday on the riverbed trail. 8hr. 40min. on my custom 36er, and I’m going to try that again this year if I have another birthday.

I guess I should say that so far my longest has been 86 miles in a day, which was more limited by the amount of daylight and my riding partner than anything else. We didn’t even set out to do a longest ride or anything either, it just kind of happened.

I don’t. I don’t really care how many feet or yards are in a mile. I just know it is 1200 or 1700 something yards and around 5300 feet in a mile. Feet, yards and inches are the simple ones that actually have day to day applications. Inches do get messy when using fractions, especially small ones. Inches do give us our names for wheel sizes nicely though.:slightly_smiling_face:

So how do you walk? Or do just use them with distaste? :upside_down_face:
My longest ride was probably about a 4 mile ride in my 36” in a little under half an hour. Some of my muni rides may have been longer but only by a mile or so if they were, and they take an hour or two. At some point I hope to go for longer rides, but that will be after more riding and maybe some equipment changes.

1 Like

Walk? Are you mad? I unicycle, of course!

1 Like

I can’t ever recall having to actually convert a mile into feet or yards. We refer to half miles or quarter miles instead.

A mile is approximately 1.6 km and a km is approximately 0.6 miles, so the conversion factor is pretty simple. I convert between miles and kilometers all the time.

Neither system is particularly complicated, but I must say I do prefer metric wrenches and fasteners. It’s just so much more intuitive that a 17mm is bigger than a 16mm than an 11/16 vs a 5/8.

1 Like

Typically with wrenches mine are in the box they came in, and therefore in order. :grin: It isn’t that hard to figure it out, but metric sure is easier. Metric also works so much nicer if you need to do any math since it can be described with decimals easily.

Yeah, there is a good reason the scientific community went metric right away and the technical community wasn’t far behind.

My longest ride is 50km (or 30 miles for you strange americans). It took three jours, but it won’t be the longest one for long. Right now there is a lot of wind, but as soon as it stops, I’ll go for at least 60.

2 Likes

Plus us strange Brits

2 Likes

Yes if course

Yesterday I did 20.5 miles around Prague on my 24". Could barely move in the evening. I don’t think I’ll try something like that anytime soon.

2 Likes

Thats a lot on a 24”! :+1:t3:

I often don’t count the distance, but time in the saddle. How far you go in 45 minutes is all relevant to the size of the wheel.

Last sunday, I did 74 km (46 miles) on my 29er.
And the first 50 km (31 miles) were without putting my foot on the floor.

I did it in 4h30, with a 20 minutes break.

3 Likes