bicyclist trys hard to be a unicyclist

people on bikes try so hard to be like us unicyclists. watch this video (if you get bored skip to about 1:30) someone should intraduce her to a unicycle, she would have so much more fun :smiley:

That is one pretty flawless artistic bicycling routine. I’ve tried some of that stuff out and it is a lot harder than it looks. When you convert the skills to the unicycling equivalents you get an idea of just how good she is. At one point she is essentially doing backwards one footed figure eights, seat out in front, on a giraffe!

You don’t see much artistic bicycling outside of Germany.

Nice spins and pirouettes on “a giraffe”. She’s some sort of BMX Flatland rider, but she just doesn’t use flatland bike. Here’s some Flatland.

You say that like artistic cycling is stealing moves and ideas from flatland BMX when it’s actually the other way around. Artistic cycling was around a long time before flatland BMX. It would be more accurate to say that flatlanders are some sort of artistic cycling rider, but don’t use artistic cycling bikes.

dude that chick is nuts… thats some wicked stuff.

I like how this video shows how they compliment each other, instead of saying which is better.

hey i think it looks nice, shes using a fixed gear though on her bike, so its like a unicycle with an extra wheel!

Sorry, bikes did it all first. Unicycles grew out of bicycles, by discarding the rear wheel. Bikes did most everything first. Doing tricks on the back wheel of an artistic bike is much harder than riding a giraffe or other form of unicycle. Try it. You have to carry all that extra mass around, which makes it much more sluggish, not to mention basically bad seating positions if you’re anywhere other than on the seat!

It doesn’t mean unicycles aren’t cooler. :slight_smile:

That’s like saying flatlanders are some sort of artistic bike riders, only they use a BMX bike. BMX bikes came first, and are sill very similar to their Flatland cousins. Artistic bikes came way earlier.

When I introduce my artistic bike (like the ones in those videos) in shows, I usually describe it as “the grandfather of BMX Freestyle bikes.” That’s what it is. The skills go back to the late 1800s, and the sport goes back to around the 1930s. It can trace its roots directly back to Nick Kaufman, from Rochester, NY, who was a professional performer but also promoted trick cycling as a sport. Flatland is about 100 years younger.

BTW, the flatland guy in the second video was pretty amazing. He seemed to go about half a mile on his front wheel without any pedaling. Looked like he was doing some sort of zig-zag motion, kind of like a skateboard, to build up speed. Wonder if that would work with a BC wheel, or if you need the extra mass of the rest of the bike?

Yukiko has her beat…:smiley:

I wouldn’t say the extra mass enables it, but more the control the extra bike gives him. It allows him to focus more on the zig-zag motion without worrying (much) about the wheel tipping over into his leg. It’s kinda like tic-taccing on a skateboard.