Best seat for long rides

Such an easy, and often overlooked, fix to discomfort :slight_smile:

One is never far from an instant dismount on a uni. A bike makes me worry about getting tangled up with the thing if have to dismount suddenly. Bikes feel so dangerous now, especially at speed. Ironic really when considering the common view of unicycling as dangerous.

The “no hands” body movements to steer a uni are different from a bicycle. I think the biggest problem might be the slow steering response on the bike due to the long wheel base and loose coupling to the rider.

The unicyclist feels like the bicycle is not responding and it can be very unnerving. It is not uncommon for serious unicylists to lose their ability to ride no hands on a bike. I can’t let go on a bike any more.

Checks this quote against Setonix’s info: Yes, is from The Netherlands. Rarely rides a bike. But rides unicycles all the time, so I guess that makes it “normal”. :slight_smile:

I’ve got to put a seat on my old Miyata Triplecross (bike) and see if that’s true for me… :astonished:

I’ve done so very little bicycle riding in years. What little I do is either very brief, and usually on one of my wife’s recumbents (or both). Recumbents don’t no-hands very well at all, or if at all. But I have occasionally had the old Artistic Bike out, and though it has very steep frame geometry, I can no-hands that one. Maybe that’s all that’s keeping me in practice!

However much I ride unicycle, I don’t think I will ever consider it to be normal. And to be honest, those times that I do ride a bike, I notice how easy and fast it is. Unicycling has given me more strength in my legs so I can ride even faster on a bike than 4 years ago before I started unicycling. Also a bike doesn’t give any stress when deciding to ride to work. Of course bikes get boring pretty quickly :slight_smile: