BC Plates Design: Need Buyers

These are my super duper plates that are made of 5691 chromed adimantium and have a rocket launcher and a fin to make you fly and a block for grinding and support and a drink cooler and a hippo leash and are the best they are the best because they ARE!!!

I are the bestest maker of the plates for the riding and they only cost one dollar! You all are the dum peoples who not make the good plates!

bcdumass.jpg

Il buy one!

Honestly though,

e39m5, I’d be more than willing to buy apair if they are $54, but unless other people are willing to buy in and lower the cost to around $60, I’ll be ordering from UDC.

So now there are 2 people, only 8 more and an order will be placed.

$54 on a set of plates isn’t too expensive for quality plates.

e39m5

Does anybody have ideas for support other than what I have? Preferrably somthing smaller. Evans idea will be hard because I cant get a sheet of metal all the way to the bottom with the bend there. Any other ideas for support?

e39m5

what do you mean all the way to the bottom? you dont need it on the bottom, if the joint is welded then thats not where its going to bend, look at my bent plate pic, you will see it bens just below the axle.

The L isn’t going to be welded, its going to be bent through a bending machine. I dont think that will bend down though, would it?

e39m5

right thread that time

A weld will be much stronger.

A welded joint is usually weaker than a solid piece of metal. The weld is more likely to just snap off rather than bend. However, since this is a 90 degree angle, it would be fine either way.

I’d definately buy a pair…if I had a BC wheel :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the design is very good, and will be plenty strong. Maybe add a 3rd brace so it runs in line with the axle of the wheel to form a 90 degree angle? I dunno if that would help much. Just an idea.

Catboy- that was probably the funniest thing I’ve seen all day.

Then I will set up a weld. Which setup is stronger, weld 1 or 2?

Weld 1:
.  _
. | |
. | |
. | |
. | |
. | |______
. |_|______|

Weld 2:
.  _
. | |
. | |
. | |
. | |
. |_|_____
. |_______|

Thanks,
e39m5

Wait, a bend will probably cost less, so if its the same quality I will just bend, right?

It dosnt matter, it depends on what oyu want the demensions to be.

If you can run them over with a car, and stick them in a vise with out bending them, l buy a pair.

Bitch! Calm down, but yeah, I will agree with Evan I think a weld would be stronger, since your not weakening the metal. During the bend. Regardless of it not being from one construction, and it would be better to have the horizontal plate level with the bottom of the vertical plate for the weld, vs. it being under it, this will allow the least amount of leverage at the weak weld.

Make that run over by a truck.

Halfbike was elling a pai that he ran over with his car, and still stayed perfectly straight… see:

So welding is the way to go, correct?

e39m5

Nope. Evan’s wrong, as usual. And Cyberpunk, it doesn’t really matter which way you have the plates, it’s all aproxamately the same. The quality of the weld will make far more of a difference.

e39m5: First step to designing and building a quality anything: Don’t listen to Evan. Digitalattrition knows what he’s talking about, at least a lot more than Evan. Just about anyone with any metalworking prowess is a better source.

The “Bending machine” you’re thinking of is called an “Ironworker”. Call up local metal shops, I assure you that one of them will have one, and they might let you use it. I don’t know about emachineshop, but if I were the guy making this I’d also use an ironworker to punch the holes for the axle. Punched holes in aluminum aren’t pretty, but they are much faster. I woudl reccomend simply going to a local metal shop and asking them if they’d be so kind as to show you how to use their ironworker for an hour or two of assistance around the shop. Ask for a few pieces of 1/4" flat steel in the size of your plates, and in 5 minutes on the ironworker you’ll have a set of plates.

If you insist on aluminum then a weld is a safer bet, but I’d also make the plates in a box section, so they’re about 3/4" thick and hollow on the inside. Then have them re-heat treated after welding. At the point where the axle passes through the plate, you could use solid aluminum and weld it in to the box section of the rest of the plate. This would be much stronger than any plates currently out there, although unless you found some box tube of the right size it’d be a ton of work to make. It also wouldn’t be amazingly light.

Can you have a set of small gussets at the 90* joint to reinforce it? I think even a 1/2" gusset would be more than strong enough.

Eric, that was hilarious.

Don’t blame me, its was my damed welding book

Thanks man, that means a lot to me coming from you.

What book is it?

Some lincon electric book.