Balancing

I’ve seen it somewhere (probably here) that a good metric for ones balancing ability is the time one can stand on one leg with ones eyes closed. The kids and I have often had fun trying this, and usually I can last about ten - twenty seconds.

This evening, I found something totally unexpected. If I keep my hands in my pockets, I can balance on one leg with my eyes closed for much longer, about twice as long.

Why? Does this apply to anyone else? Will this help my cycling?

Martin/

I tried it and got 2mins and 25 seconds, ill try the hands in pocket thing later, but right now im ognna go ride.

It probably helps with riding, I dont see how increasing your balance wouldnt help with riding. lol

Interesting. I’ll have to try this when I’m not at work where people would stand outside my office wondering what the heck I’m doing.

I know that I’m always doing little things to practice my balance (I need all the help I can get). Like putting on socks and shoes and even tying my shoes. I’ll just stand on one foot while I do these things. I’ve been working on doing a complete still-stand on my uni too. I find it incredibly difficult and so far have only managed a few seconds. If I’m out walking and I see a rail or a thin curb, I’ll try to walk it as far as I can. Balance has become an obsession.:stuck_out_tongue:

I think that might have come off of the “More than Human” clip from the discovery channel. It was about Kris Holm, and they determined that he was more than human, whatever that means. I don’t know where the original link was, but I thought it was from Leo V’s website (www.unicyclist.org).

Anyways, I’ve done that, but not with hands in pockets. I find that I do better with shoes, though.

I did better than KH… Does that make me a mutant?! [/sarcasm]

EDIT: found it, it’s where I thought it was… http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/muni.cfm , under “discovery channel, more than human”

The pressure on the muscles in your armes, tells your brain about the position of your upperbody. If you hang to one side, the pressure will be not equal.

i watched the Discovery movie with Kris Holms and tried that balncing test thing. I was surprised that i could beat Kris Holm!!! It made me think that i was doing it easier or something???

i watched the Discovery movie with Kris Holms and tried that balncing test thing. I was surprised that i could beat Kris Holm!!! It made me think that i was doing it easier or something???

I made it to a minute fifteen seconds before I stopped, (had a cramp in my foot :roll_eyes: )

I have a clip of just the balancing segment from that video in my Monster gallery. I also have the full video there as well.

I can do wayy longer than Kris Holm does in that clip, too. In fact, I got close to 10 minutes once with my right foot, then got bored and gave up.

What gives?

Maybe Kris had never tried it before. How’d you do on your first try?