Are you riding your fatty?

I also bought the fatty mainly for use in winter. A 5" studded Dillinger runs well on snow and ice. It really does not like bare asphalt. Now in summer I prefer to use a 3" tyre.

Still riding my Oregon with a Lou. I love it. It’s forgiving enough to allow me to ride off road without UPD’s so much. Not on the blacktop at all though. Just a pain in the butt there. I’ve got others for that.

Got to test my new Nimbus Hatchet yesterday, and I love it. Beforehand I was a little worried about two of the bullet points in Siddhartha Valmont’s list:

-you don’t mind riding slower/have more exercise

It felt a little heavy the first 20 minutes, but after I got warmed up, I forgot about it. I discovered that even if it’s harder work because of the rolling resistance and weight, the capability to roll over stuff also saves energy.

-you can manage feedback and steer the uni with a “strong hand”

This was my main concern, and I struggled a little bit in some situations. Even though the Surly Knard is a lot lighter I think the “steering with strong hand” is simlar, so I felt I was prepared for it.

I started out on my regular trail to compare the Hatchet to the Oracle 26. A lot of the technical stuff was doable on the Hatchet, but it suffers in the steep sections. The highlight of the ride was when I rolled over a (small) log, where I normally have to get off the uni.

Air pressure was 9 psi, which felt pretty good - I don’t think I can have much less than that.

Glad to hear you like it. I personally find that fat unis have this little something of crazy like riding a uni has it too (double-crazy? ).

Anyway, not for everybody (like other kind of unis) but lot of fun when it matches.

I like the uni rack you have for the two wheel. Thanks for the idea. Clever use out of the old bike collecting dust in my garage. A transport vehicle for the uni. I love it.

More here: Transport a uni on a bicycle

My Hatchet (26x4.8) arrived today. Weather after work was thunderous so I didn’t go out.
The only bigger wheel I‘m used to is the KH 27.5, so it will be exciting for me to compare the two. I‘m really looking forward to tomaorrow. So curious!!!

New Hatchet

Congratulation! Welcome to the club!

PS: Those Thunders didn´t stop me from riding my hatchet.:slight_smile:

Now a year or so after i bought the hatchet i find it gives too much friction. Also offroad. My goto uni is the nimbus oracle 29". I just try the hatchet every now and then for fun but it just drains my energy. Half thought of selling it but will prolly hold on to it.

What tire are you using? Jumbo Jim is the choice if you want less draining tire. Even Barbegazi takes way more energy to ride, even though their tread patterns are similar. I have stopped using Vee and Maxxis fat tires for longer rides completely now.

In my former sports life I used to be a long distance runner, so I am used to expending a lot of energy for hours. But you’re right - I already feel the difference to my KH27.5. And my core‘s a little sore.

I thought a fatty was something one smoked.

I used to have Jumbo Jims on my fatbike, but I had a lot of flats. Schwalbe told me they were original considered to be first equippment for new fatbikes (Easy rolling, low weight).
I think fat tyres are a lot of fun and of lot of workout. Its just a matter of attitude. Im a fat tyred guy.:slight_smile:

Thank you! I‘m sure we can get together for a ride this year.

I‘m too chicken about possibly dangerous weather. Thunderstorms qualify as one of the very few reasons not to go out.

I’ll answer my own question: I am riding my fatty. I alternate between the Oracle 26 and the Hatchet. After 2 or 3 rides on one of them I feel like swapping to the other. They complement each other very well. I do however spend a lot more time on my 36’er now, which means less time for muni.

You’re right about the friction

Had my first Hatchet trip yesterday, and boy, it’s hard work. But it’s just what I hoped it would be - I could ride puddles and sand and mud and leave a lot of interesting tracks where even b*cycleriders won’t go.
7 km (half XC and half road) feel like 12 km on a KH27.5.

I found it easy though to keep a high pace (for me this is 95rpm).

Not quite a true fatty, but I put a Vee 3" tyre on my G29 for use over the winter, and I actually quite liked it. It obviously made things slow compared to the Marathon Supreme, and I had to run my long crank holes to get any control over it, but I loved how I could literally ride it anywhere comfortably. It handled road camber like crap, and made a racket on tarmac, but I’ll definitely switch back to it once the season of (road) cycling events is over in my city! :smiley:

Ya, I’m rolling real ones but I’m only riding plus sizes. 3"-3 1/4"

Mee too

I’m also riding a plus tire. G26 wih 3.5" fast rolling road tire. It makes my XC quite easy than before it

tyre pressure

Hello Hendrik, play with the tyre pressure.
Increase the pressure by 0.2 atm and 7 km on the hatchet will feel like 9 km on the KH 27.5.:slight_smile:
On my fatbike I use to ride 0.8 atm in soft conditions and 1.2 atm in hard conditions. But most of the time I ride 1.0 atm.
I have too less experiences riding my hatchet for longer distances, so you have to play with the pressure by yourself.

Georg